News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Ultimate Tank?

Started by Syt, June 17, 2009, 01:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Discovery is re-running Channel Five's "Building the Ultimate ..." series. Today: tanks. With "experts" like Tom Clancy or Bruce Dickinson or a veteran Panther commander of the Waffen SS.

01. Leopard 2A6 (Germany)

02. M1 Abrams (US)

03. T-34 (Russia)

04. Merkava (Israel)

05. Centurion (UK)

06. Stridsvagn 103 (Sweden)

07. T-72 (Russia)

08. PzKpfW V Panther (Germany)

09. M551 Sheridan (US)

10. M4 Sherman (US)

Discuss. :nerd:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on June 17, 2009, 01:56:48 PM
09. M551 Sheridan (US)

:huh:  The most the M551 has ever done is serve as a fake BMP for the OPFOR in Army exercises.

Btw is this your list or theirs?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Quote from: derspiess on June 17, 2009, 02:03:26 PM
09. M551 Sheridan (US)

:huh:  The most the M551 has ever done is serve as a fake BMP for the OPFOR in Army exercises.

Btw is this your list or theirs?

Theirs. I'm not hardcore enough to make such lists.  :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: derspiess on June 17, 2009, 02:03:26 PM
09. M551 Sheridan (US)

They cited its capability to drop it into combat with airlifts.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Neil

Ultimate?  I find it hard to imagine a set of criteria that could result in that spread.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

Quote from: Neil on June 17, 2009, 02:09:12 PM
Ultimate?  I find it hard to imagine a set of criteria that could result in that spread.

They usually weigh by effectiveness and innovativeness at the time. The submarine show, e.g., had German Type IX in #1 spot.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Queequeg

Quote from: Warspite on June 17, 2009, 02:21:39 PM
:bleeding:
Seconded. 

T-34 and Panther should probably be at the top, and why are the Sherman and the airborn tank from Battlefield:Vietnam on there?  Or the late model Soviet tanks?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Josquius

Leopard and Abrams over Challenger (not even listed)? :blink:
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

The Swedish one may have been innovative but it wasn't exactly... er... ultimate.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

It wasn't even innovative. Low profile SP gun? Already been done.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

Discovery/military channel and their list shows:

I have grown to loathe them.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Quote from: Berkut on June 17, 2009, 02:32:47 PM
It wasn't even innovative. Low profile SP gun? Already been done.

But this was a tank, not a SP gun.

No, I don't get it either. But there it is.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

saskganesh

at least they don't list the Tiger. that's a good thing.
humans were created in their own image

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: saskganesh on June 17, 2009, 02:59:00 PM
at least they don't list the Tiger. that's a good thing.

It made the top 3 in the military paperweight category.

BTW don't tell Neil but HMS Dreadnought made the top 10.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson