News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Stolen Valor: The Megathread

Started by Siege, February 20, 2015, 02:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on February 24, 2015, 04:42:07 PM
If somebody says 'I am a civilian combat veteran'.

I will think they are some sort of mercenary.

Or a militiaman or perhaps a refugee who escapes a war zone.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: grumbler on February 24, 2015, 09:25:43 PM
I hope he loses his job and the entire network that broadcasts shit like his show goes belly-up.

There wouldn't be anything on TV but dead air.

Martinus

Wait, "Stolen Valor" is actually the name of a statute of law? I thought it's just some bizarre expression Siege coined or read on some blog.

You Americans are weird.  :lol:

Martinus

Quote from: Siege on February 24, 2015, 02:46:10 PM
The new one only applies to people that lie about military service to receive monetary compensation or benefits.

In normal countries this kind of thing is dealt with through ordinary fraud laws.  :huh:

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on February 25, 2015, 01:21:08 AM
The new one only applies to people that lie about military service to receive monetary compensation or benefits.

In normal countries this kind of thing is dealt with through ordinary fraud laws.  :huh:
:huh:  In "normal countries" you don't have the freedom of speech that Americans revel in.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on February 25, 2015, 01:19:34 AM

When politicians pass things they like brand-name bills.  Like 'the PATRIOT Act' or the 'Defense of Marriage Act'.  It's all about the marketing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Wait, "Stolen Valor" is actually the name of a statute of law? I thought it's just some bizarre expression Siege coined or read on some blog.

Americans seem to love this sort of thing ... sadly, so does our conservative government here in Canada.

One example I noticed the other day was a TV channel that I watch occasionally that specializes in military history documentaries was renamed from the "Military Channel" to the "American Heroes Channel".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Heroes_Channel
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

QuoteAmericans seem to love this sort of thing

Let me just say it makes us cynical.  Everything being a marketing gimmick wears on you.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 25, 2015, 10:06:20 AM
QuoteAmericans seem to love this sort of thing

Let me just say it makes us cynical.  Everything being a marketing gimmick wears on you.

Why do you hate FreedomTM? :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

That is why I prefer the European way.

Such as Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) No 862/2012 of 4 June 2012 amending Regulation (EC) No 809/2004 as regards information on the consent to use of the prospectus, information on underlying indexes and the requirement for a report prepared by independent accountants or auditors. :wub:

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on February 25, 2015, 10:02:39 AM

Americans seem to love this sort of thing ... sadly, so does our conservative government here in Canada.

One example I noticed the other day was a TV channel that I watch occasionally that specializes in military history documentaries was renamed from the "Military Channel" to the "American Heroes Channel".

Yes, Americans seem to love this sort of thing.  Much as Canadians seem to love to over-generalize.  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on February 25, 2015, 10:54:15 AM
That is why I prefer the European way.

Such as Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) No 862/2012 of 4 June 2012 amending Regulation (EC) No 809/2004 as regards information on the consent to use of the prospectus, information on underlying indexes and the requirement for a report prepared by independent accountants or auditors. :wub:

Actually, that's pretty much how the laws in the US are actually titled.  Nicknames for bills are just nicknames.  The real bill names are exciting stuff like HR 252b1

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on February 25, 2015, 01:21:08 AM

In the US ordinary fraud laws exist at the state level.  This law allows such cases to be prosecuted federally.  As to whether that is really needed, one can certainly question.  I suppose there is some sort of logical connection in that the military is federal institution. 

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on February 25, 2015, 11:00:53 AM
Yes, Americans seem to love this sort of thing.  Much as Canadians seem to love to over-generalize.  :P

Over-generalization is universal.  Absolutely everyone does it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on February 25, 2015, 10:02:39 AM

What is particularly jarring about that is that they show five shows in a row about Nazis.  It makes one suspicious who they consider heroes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017