Languish, help me plan a Euro vacation. Rome, Paris and London.

Started by lustindarkness, February 17, 2015, 11:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Don't worry too much, in my experience the central areas of London and Paris are very tame and mellow, you just need to keep an eye on your valuables in Rome.

alfred russel

No sense is scaring CF--these are really safe cities. But if I'm carrying a big camera I always keep it around my neck.

I travel with 2 cards and I always keep 1 locked in the hotel room (if possible), and carry just more than enough cash for the day. I never carry my passport (if in a place that is mandatory I carry a copy). I follow the principal to carry only what won't ruin my day if I get robbed (no sense carrying a driver's license in europe--though you may be able to use it as a deposit for audio guides at places like the louvre). I keep my bank account reasonably low so that if an ATM thief guy gets a hold of me I won't be able to take out much money.

I just put things in my front pocket, usually with an untucked shirt over the entrance to the pocket.

But I think London, Rome, and Paris are safe enough I wouldn't stress at all.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

One thing is that Europeans havent really caught onto the shorts thing. Tshirt, shorts, and flip flops = american tourist.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josquius

I'd imagine the Chinese speaking hordes make for safer, more visible, easier and more profitable targets for crooks these days.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

I was going to add that I haven't had any such issues in Paris or Rome but then both times I was in non-peak tourist times (February and March). :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

I came very close to having my passport boosted in February.

lustindarkness

Last time I had any problems traveling by myself was in 93, in Philadelphia :lol:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Larch

As long as you're alert when in crowded areas, and specially on public transport, Rome is perfectly safe. Street hawkers are a PIA, though.

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on February 25, 2015, 01:22:31 PM
No sense is scaring CF--these are really safe cities. But if I'm carrying a big camera I always keep it around my neck.

I travel with 2 cards and I always keep 1 locked in the hotel room (if possible), and carry just more than enough cash for the day. I never carry my passport (if in a place that is mandatory I carry a copy). I follow the principal to carry only what won't ruin my day if I get robbed (no sense carrying a driver's license in europe--though you may be able to use it as a deposit for audio guides at places like the louvre). I keep my bank account reasonably low so that if an ATM thief guy gets a hold of me I won't be able to take out much money.

I just put things in my front pocket, usually with an untucked shirt over the entrance to the pocket.

But I think London, Rome, and Paris are safe enough I wouldn't stress at all.

Finally someone to stop the looped subliminal 'Taken' movie terrorising CF out of even going at all.

CF if you take the sage advice here from recent travellers and residents, you'll be fine.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Surely Lusti has developed a certain set of skills over his long career of watching movies at work that make him a nightmare for people who would do her harm.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

The Brain

I'm not in Rome, so don't forget it. It's just a silly place I'm going through.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: alfred russel on February 25, 2015, 01:24:54 PM
One thing is that Europeans havent really caught onto the shorts thing. Tshirt, shorts, and flip flops = american tourist.

Yes please don't wear shorts in a city. It's unseemly.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

Quote from: alfred russel on February 25, 2015, 01:24:54 PM

Don't forget the white socks pulled halfway up to the knees.  :D

lustindarkness

Only day I would not wear shorts will be the Vatican day.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom