Languish, help me plan a Euro vacation. Rome, Paris and London.

Started by lustindarkness, February 17, 2015, 11:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Quote from: capturedfairy on February 24, 2015, 07:37:10 PM
Nobody is volunteering to be our guide?????? :huh:

I'd be happy to give you an archaeologist's tour of Rome, had I been there.
Now, if you're willing to fly me in for a day or two, we can talk.  ^_^

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on February 24, 2015, 06:29:07 PM
It seems that as soon as gypsies cross into Germanic language territory they stop pick pocketting and accordion playing and move into copper wire theft

Begging (usually done by malformed cripples after mother/child begging was outlawed), accordion playing/singing in crowded subways and occasionally sending in kids to beg from your table at McD's, KFC or BK.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 24, 2015, 07:30:42 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on February 24, 2015, 03:00:51 PM
I wonder if beating the crap out of a pickpocket would get me in trouble? :hmm:

No one wants to answer my serious questions?  :glare:

Don't forget they are likely to be minors as RH remarked about Rome, for the same reasons he pointed out. A slap (in the face) is enough. Cops can't do much if they're 12 or so.

capturedfairy

what do you recommend to carry camera/wallet in??? Im getting scared now with all these comments :hmm: :ph34r:

Gups

I was in Rome last June and had no issues at all with begging. Didn't see a beggar, wasn't approached by one. Lots of black guys hawking cheap sunglasses and sunhats though

Admiral Yi

Quote from: capturedfairy on February 25, 2015, 11:47:30 AM
what do you recommend to carry camera/wallet in??? Im getting scared now with all these comments :hmm: :ph34r:

One of those around the neck wallet holders is the safest way to go.  Or one of those money belts you velcro around your waist. 

Camera is tough, but at the very least put the leash around your wrist.

Valmy

I had everything in a bag.  It was tied to my belt and on the inside of my pants near my groin, which I figured not even a pick pocket would grab you there.  Passport made it home safely.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Rome feels seedy as shit but I got by OK. There are quite a lot of police around the main tourist areas.
The  metro however....

██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

If you want to carry a purse, keep a hand on it at all times.

Admiral Yi

Another option is a shoulder bag, hung over the neck, with the zipper zipped.

Absolutely nothing in your back pockets.  This is not negotiable. :ph34r:

Josquius

Does anyone normally do that?
I read a lot about it as travel advice but have never put my wallet in  my back pocket. It just seems...stupid. And uncomfortable
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Jacob

I generally put stuff in my front pockets. If I'm travelling in pick-pocket prone areas, I'll use a safety pin on the inside of the pocket to pin it close, preventing easy access.

It's a bit of a pain to put in and take out, but it prevents people from sticking their hands in my pocket; and it's less of a pain to deal with and less uncomfortable than those crotch money belts. Less conspicuous too.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on February 25, 2015, 01:12:49 PM
I generally put stuff in my front pockets.

Yep. I like because then I don't have to either sit on things or move them out of my pocket every time I sit down.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.