Languish, help me plan a Euro vacation. Rome, Paris and London.

Started by lustindarkness, February 17, 2015, 11:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 23, 2015, 11:53:02 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 23, 2015, 11:51:46 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 23, 2015, 11:45:24 AM
There used to be a direct night train from Rome to Paris, Il Palatino, slower but you got to sleep and you don't lose precious daytime. You can have a whole compartment in the sleeping car.
Now, there's still some night train between Italy and France (Venise-Paris) so you can still do it by night but there's a transfer in Milan at say 22.50. Not that expensive if you book well in advance.
https://www.thello.com/

Just checked it, the familia would have to leave Rome on the 30th at 19:20, change trains in Milan at 23h and they'd arrive in Paris on the 21st at 10:30. Grand total of around 350 € with the cheapest fare, assuming the kid is 14 or younger.

I wouldn't do that unless there was no other option.  Compare that with about a 1 hour flight.

That's 2h or more between Paris and Rome. Then travel between city centres and airports which can be costly as well. More like 4 hours all in all. Of course, traveling low cost will be cheaper but I'd rather pay more and go with Air France or Alitalia.

Maladict

I wouldn't do that unless there was no other option.  Compare that with about a 1 hour flight.

The difference is not that big. Taking into account getting to/from the airport and check-in time, that 1 hour flight (it's 2 really) will balloon into 5 or 6 hours at least.
The train can take you city centre to city centre in 10-11 hours, and the overnight option might actually make it more time-efficient than flying.

alfred russel

I've done overnight trains before and the benefit is that you arrive in the center of the city well rested, showered (there are typically showers at the station), and ready to go.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on February 23, 2015, 12:00:32 PM
In comparison, a Ryanair flight takes a couple of hours and costs a bit more than 50€ per person, plus luggage and other extras. There are two flights on the 30th, at around 6 am and pm.

Ryan Air flights to Paris get you to a low cost airport, farther than Orly or Roissy, near Beauvais 80 km north of Paris. It was good for me because the coach ride from the airport to Paris arrives in a neighborhood where I used to live.

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 23, 2015, 12:07:31 PM
In comparison, a Ryanair flight takes a couple of hours and costs a bit more than 50€ per person, plus luggage and other extras. There are two flights on the 30th, at around 6 am and pm.

Ryan Air flights to Paris get you to a low cost airport, farther than Orly or Roissy, near Beauvais 80 km north of Paris. It was good for me because the coach ride from the airport to Paris arrives in a neighborhood where I used to live.

That's what happens with every Ryanair flight. It also departs from Ciampino, which is a much smaller airport than Fiumicino.

capturedfairy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 23, 2015, 12:04:03 PM
Lusty/CF: have you guys ridden a train before?

no, never.... i think Gabo(17) would enjoy the adventure

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on February 23, 2015, 12:08:37 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 23, 2015, 12:07:31 PM

That's what happens with every Ryanair flight. It also departs from Ciampino, which is a much smaller airport than Fiumicino.

I know, but the Lustindarkness/CF family does not. ;) Same goes for Beauvais which is not the worst low cost as in farthest airport. So-called Frankfurt Hahn is even worse (2h by coach vs 1h20 Beauvais-Paris).

Admiral Yi

lustindarkness

I rode Civitavecchia to Rome. Oh,and Milwaukee to Chicago :D.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

alfred russel

Quote from: capturedfairy on February 23, 2015, 12:09:49 PM

17 in Europe...I've posted this before but I agree he will enjoy the adventure.

In 2000 it was the jubilee and the pope called on all young people to visit rome for a mass. My family is catholic, so they got the idea my aunt and uncle should take my cousins and my brother and I to Rome for a week.

It was the first time out of the country, and the first thing we discovered was we could be served alcohol (well second, the first was cuban cigars). So basically every day my cousin and I would spend drinking. One day my cousin got especially hammered, and we went to the Spanish Steps because my brother told us there were women of less than sound virtue there, and right in front of the Spanish Steps my cousin passed in the middle of the street. The cops immediately came and called an ambulance, and when he woke up, realized his parents would be less than thrilled, and decided the only wise thing to do was fight the cops. He ended up going to the hospital, tried to fight his way out, and legitimately got the shit beat out of him (which he deserved). They gave him a shot to knock him out, and he was fighting hard enough it took 6 guys to hold him down, and they never had success until they told him the shot was heroin ("Oh well why didn't you say so" was his reply).

He spent the night in the hospital, and I stayed out all night waiting for him to get out (I got thrown out of the hospital and didn't want to go to the hotel room where I might encounter his parents).

The next day was the one family thing we did the entire trip: we went to Florence. He got out of the hospital before the train left, and we just showed up and acted like nothing happened, and to this day they have no idea.

However, we ended up missing the mass that was the theoretical purpose of the trip. They know that. :(
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on February 23, 2015, 12:29:32 PM
Quote from: capturedfairy on February 23, 2015, 12:09:49 PM

17 in Europe...I've posted this before but I agree he will enjoy the adventure.

In 2000 it was the jubilee and the pope called on all young people to visit rome for a mass. My family is catholic, so they got the idea my aunt and uncle should take my cousins and my brother and I to Rome for a week.

It was the first time out of the country, and the first thing we discovered was we could be served alcohol (well second, the first was cuban cigars). So basically every day my cousin and I would spend drinking. One day my cousin got especially hammered, and we went to the Spanish Steps because my brother told us there were women of less than sound virtue there, and right in front of the Spanish Steps my cousin passed in the middle of the street. The cops immediately came and called an ambulance, and when he woke up, realized his parents would be less than thrilled, and decided the only wise thing to do was fight the cops. He ended up going to the hospital, tried to fight his way out, and legitimately got the shit beat out of him (which he deserved). They gave him a shot to knock him out, and he was fighting hard enough it took 6 guys to hold him down, and they never had success until they told him the shot was heroin ("Oh well why didn't you say so" was his reply).

He spent the night in the hospital, and I stayed out all night waiting for him to get out (I got thrown out of the hospital and didn't want to go to the hotel room where I might encounter his parents).

The next day was the one family thing we did the entire trip: we went to Florence. He got out of the hospital before the train left, and we just showed up and acted like nothing happened, and to this day they have no idea.

However, we ended up missing the mass that was the theoretical purpose of the trip. They know that. :(

:lol:

Excellent story, the two of you qualify as honorary Brits abroad.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Quotemy cousin passed in the middle of the street

I'm sorry. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

lustindarkness

Well, trip got cheaper, but life got more expensive. Our son will not be going with us. We used that $ as a down payment for a car for him.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom