Languish, help me plan a Euro vacation. Rome, Paris and London.

Started by lustindarkness, February 17, 2015, 11:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Larch on February 23, 2015, 11:00:25 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 23, 2015, 10:51:32 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 23, 2015, 10:44:20 AM
Quote from: capturedfairy on February 23, 2015, 10:34:57 AM
http://www.gliscipionibb.it/

Ok, first thing first it's near the Vatican so it means you'll be slightly far away from the city center. Their ratings are off the charts at TripAdvisor, though, so it must be a really nice place. They offer shuttles to and from the airport which, if not too expensive, could be very convenient. It is a 3rd floor in an appartment building and breakfast is self service.

It's not such a big deal that it is near a subway station. At that time of the year the weather will be surely nice and walking around Rome is a true delight.

I would try to get something closer to the center - where you are going to be spending most of your time.  The Vatican is a long walk away which is ok if you do it on the day you visit the Vatican but having to make the walk every day to the other attractions will be less fun.

Normally I'd agree with you, but in late may weather will be great, so a 30-60 min leisurely walk along the city center doesn't sound that bad. ;) It's also a quieter area than the center, in case they value that too.

Well, from the Vatican to say the Spanish Steps is a fair hike.  My greatest enjoyment was just walking around the old parts of the City and so for me being there without having to first walk in would be a big benefit.

alfred russel

Quote from: capturedfairy on February 23, 2015, 10:19:22 AM
Ok so here's what we have so far, Flying to Rome on May 24th through the 30th, the train to Paris on 30th-5th, train to London on 5th-10th.Then flying to Alabama on the 10th.

We will be doing this without any excursion group. Questions, asking for help here.
- train best deals??to Paris and to London...
-looking a bed and breakfasts, im checking out an apartment called a view of Rome. its by St Peters Basilica. opinions??
-don't have a clue of where to stay in Paris nor London. Please HELP!!! Thanks :hug:

I think that sounds like you will have a better time with enough time to really enjoy the cities.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Maladict

Ok so here's what we have so far, Flying to Rome on May 24th through the 30th, the train to Paris on 30th-5th, train to London on 5th-10th.Then flying to Alabama on the 10th.

We will be doing this without any excursion group. Questions, asking for help here.
-looking a bed and breakfasts, im checking out an apartment called a view of Rome. its by St Peters Basilica. opinions??
-don't have a clue of where to stay in Paris nor London. Please HELP!!! Thanks :hug:

Rome to Paris by train  :cool:
It's only a single transfer in Turin, not a problem at all.
You can leave Rome at midnight and transfer in Turin in the morning, even saves you accommodation costs.
Or leave Rome at noon and arrive in Paris by midnight.

The Larch

Quote from: Maladict on February 23, 2015, 11:06:13 AM

Rome to Paris by train  :cool:
It's only a single transfer in Turin, not a problem at all.
You can leave Rome at midnight and transfer in Turin in the morning, even saves you accommodation costs.
Or leave Rome at noon and arrive in Paris by midnight.

And be knackered for a whole day. Sounds like a terrible idea to me, and bound to be even more expensive than a low cost plane ticket.

mongers

OMG.

Not your plan which I'm sure will be fine, but that a woman posted on Languish.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maladict

Quote from: The Larch on February 23, 2015, 11:09:16 AM

And be knackered for a whole day. Sounds like a terrible idea to me, and bound to be even more expensive than a low cost plane ticket.

I don't know, I find (long distance) travel by train very relaxing.
Air travel does get me exhausted, annoyed and often angry, especially when using low-cost carriers.
Each their own, I suppose.

The Larch

Keep in mind that they're travelling with a young kid, and that they want to make the most of their limited time in Europe.

Maladict

Quote from: The Larch on February 23, 2015, 11:16:57 AM
Keep in mind that they're travelling with a young kid, and that they want to make the most of their limited time in Europe.

Taking the daytime train will make the kid see much more of it. :contract:

edit: seriously, you get to see the Tuscan hills, glimpses of Florence, Bologna and Milan, cross the Apennines and the Alps, the vineyards in the Rhone valley and Burgundy.

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on February 23, 2015, 11:16:00 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 23, 2015, 11:09:16 AM

I don't know, I find (long distance) travel by train very relaxing.
Air travel does get me exhausted, annoyed and often angry, especially when using low-cost carriers.
Each their own, I suppose.

I agree with you.

But Lusti/CP know what is like to trial their family unit through airports/aircraft vs train/stations.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on February 23, 2015, 11:21:44 AM
I agree with you.

But Lusti/CP know what is like to trial their family unit through airports/aircraft vs train/stations.

It was their idea, not mine.

lustindarkness

Our kids have traveled some, and the younger one insists on not going anyway, the teenager can deal with travel a lot better. Train could be a good option I think. Thank you guys, any input helps.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Duque de Bragança

There used to be a direct night train from Rome to Paris, Il Palatino, slower but you got to sleep and you don't lose precious daytime. You can have a whole compartment in the sleeping car.
Now, there's still some night train between Italy and France (Venise-Paris) so you can still do it by night but there's a transfer in Milan at say 22.50. Not that expensive if you book well in advance.
https://www.thello.com/

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 23, 2015, 11:45:24 AM
There used to be a direct night train from Rome to Paris, Il Palatino, slower but you got to sleep and you don't lose precious daytime. You can have a whole compartment in the sleeping car.
Now, there's still some night train between Italy and France (Venise-Paris) so you can still do it by night but there's a transfer in Milan at say 22.50. Not that expensive if you book well in advance.

Just checked it, the familia would have to leave Rome on the 30th at 19:20, change trains in Milan at 23h and they'd arrive in Paris on the 21st at 10:30. Grand total of around 350 € with the cheapest fare, assuming the kid is 14 or younger.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Larch on February 23, 2015, 11:51:46 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 23, 2015, 11:45:24 AM

Just checked it, the familia would have to leave Rome on the 30th at 19:20, change trains in Milan at 23h and they'd arrive in Paris on the 21st at 10:30. Grand total of around 350 € with the cheapest fare, assuming the kid is 14 or younger.

I wouldn't do that unless there was no other option.  Compare that with about a 1 hour flight.

The Larch

In comparison, a Ryanair flight takes a couple of hours and costs a bit more than 50€ per person, plus luggage and other extras. There are two flights on the 30th, at around 6 am and pm.