Languish, help me plan a Euro vacation. Rome, Paris and London.

Started by lustindarkness, February 17, 2015, 11:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Some tips on Rome.  You can find some really good apartment deals in the old part of the city through rent direct type websites.  I would arrange for a driver to meet you at the airport especially if you are in the old part of Rome.  The service is quick, efficient and surprisingly inexpensive.  On getting out of Rome you will probably get a better deal flying a discount airline then taking the train and you will save a lot of time.

For London I would suggest staying away from hotels and look at B+Bs.  Just make sure it is near a Tube station.  In Paris there are a lot of good small hotels that will be reasonably priced - especially if you don't mind being a bit further out and riding the Metro.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 23, 2015, 10:34:34 AM
I don't think a board full of sociopathic wargaming loners is going to be much help on B&Bs CF.  :lol:

I actually lived in Rome, you know.

crazy canuck

I don't think a board full of sociopathic wargaming loners is going to be much help on B&Bs CF.  :lol:

Stop projecting.  Besides there are people here who have actually been to or live in Rome.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 23, 2015, 10:37:17 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 23, 2015, 10:36:04 AM
I actually lived in Rome, you know.

Did you live in a bed and breakfast?

No, but I have friends who did and I can tell a good part of town from a bad one.

The Larch

Quote from: capturedfairy on February 23, 2015, 10:34:57 AM
http://www.gliscipionibb.it/

Ok, first thing first it's near the Vatican so it means you'll be slightly far away from the city center. Their ratings are off the charts at TripAdvisor, though, so it must be a really nice place. They offer shuttles to and from the airport which, if not too expensive, could be very convenient. It is a 3rd floor in an appartment building and breakfast is self service.

It's not such a big deal that it is near a subway station. At that time of the year the weather will be surely nice and walking around Rome is a true delight.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Larch on February 23, 2015, 10:44:20 AM

Ok, first thing first it's near the Vatican so it means you'll be slightly far away from the city center. Their ratings are off the charts at TripAdvisor, though, so it must be a really nice place. They offer shuttles to and from the airport which, if not too expensive, could be very convenient. It is a 3rd floor in an appartment building and breakfast is self service.

It's not such a big deal that it is near a subway station. At that time of the year the weather will be surely nice and walking around Rome is a true delight.

I would try to get something closer to the center - where you are going to be spending most of your time.  The Vatican is a long walk away which is ok if you do it on the day you visit the Vatican but having to make the walk every day to the other attractions will be less fun.

lustindarkness

Hey! I don't wargame anymore!  :mad:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 23, 2015, 10:51:32 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 23, 2015, 10:44:20 AM

I would try to get something closer to the center - where you are going to be spending most of your time.  The Vatican is a long walk away which is ok if you do it on the day you visit the Vatican but having to make the walk every day to the other attractions will be less fun.

Normally I'd agree with you, but in late may weather will be great, so a 30-60 min leisurely walk along the city center doesn't sound that bad. ;) It's also a quieter area than the center, in case they value that too.

crazy canuck

Quote from: capturedfairy on February 23, 2015, 10:53:46 AM
ideas please....  :hmm:

So for example, something near the campo di fiori.  This is a favourite area of mine to stay.  The benefit is not only are you walking distance to everything (and a long walk to the Vatican) but you have ready access to the market carts that set up there so you can pick up cheese, bread, fruit and have a wonderful meal or, if you wish go to the many small restaurants off the main touristed areas - go to a place where the people are speaking Italian...

Richard Hakluyt

For your London stay it might be worthwhile looking at these people http://www.appleapartments.co.uk/best-rate-guaranteed/

I used one of their apartments last summer (in Greenwich) and it was pretty cheap for London and made a very good base. I see they have apartments throughout the city, I suspect the Strand and Kensington would cost a hell of a lot more than the East London one. Maybe check through expedia and booking.com to see if there are any deals.