Languish, help me plan a Euro vacation. Rome, Paris and London.

Started by lustindarkness, February 17, 2015, 11:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 18, 2015, 09:26:36 AM
This is why I posted this. I also think it is a bit rushed. But I also have a small budget for this and would like my son to see as much as I can get him to see.

The original idea was a week+ in Italy, Rome, Florence and Venice. I've been to Rome already, so I'm good there, sucks for The Wife and son. LOL

Lusti, I bet it would be a lot cheaper to do this on your own. If you were to fly into London, and out of Paris, 5 days in each, your savings would probably put you well on your way to Rome next year.  :)

In Paris if you stay out of the central city it is actually not that expensive, and the metro can take you right into the center. But in London, unless there is some trick I don't know about, you are fucked.  :(
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Monoriu

I agree that it is quite easy to book your own hotels.  Try it, and compare if it is cheaper than the package. 

alfred russel

Quote from: Monoriu on February 18, 2015, 10:10:16 AM
I agree that it is quite easy to book your own hotels.  Try it, and compare if it is cheaper than the package.

It is easy. And it isn't rocket science to figure out how to get from the airport to your hotel, or how to use the metro (taxis get ungodly expensive quickly), or how to get to various destinations, or a decent place to eat, etc. But you put all those together, and it starts to get to be a lot of work and invariably something goes wrong, and you end up missing a train and somehow end up in the wrong city, etc. I think of that as no big deal and often a funny story, but then I'm not going with a wife and kid whose reaction be to get very annoyed and whine for the rest of the trip.

However, I'm sure people here who would help lusti with that stuff.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

lustindarkness

Some great stuff, I sure hope CF is reading thise before she pulls the trigger. Regarding planning everything to save money, for me time is money, I need to pay the tour company to plan all this shit for me, I don't have the time to do so.

I travel by myself with the military and go see places without a plan, but I will not drag The Wife and Lazy Teenager like that. For example, I saw Rome in a day, basically dawn to dusk, walked the whole thing, saw everything mentioned. I've done the same in Germany, New Zealand, New York, DC etc. I have no problem with busses, trains and subways by myself, but with the family? Don't think so.

Thanks again guys. CF, you better be reading all this!
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

crazy canuck

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 17, 2015, 11:31:49 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 17, 2015, 11:27:34 PM
This is kinda fast, isn't it? I'd rather spend all ten days in one of the places. But could be fun.

Yeah, but money and time limits us, I would spend a whole week in each country, and add a few countries while we are at it.  :lol:

Yeah but since your time and money is limited trying to take in everything wont let you see anything properly.  If you really must go to more than one spot then at least limit your self to London and Paris so you don't spend most of one day travelling to Rome.

The Larch

Unless you're travelling to really fancy hotels the price tag seems a bit on the expensive side of things...

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on February 18, 2015, 01:32:11 PM
I like neither of those cities. Europe has better.

Yeah but your negative opinion should be taken with a grain of salt...well really a salt lick. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on February 18, 2015, 01:33:07 PM
Quote from: Tyr on February 18, 2015, 01:32:11 PM
I like neither of those cities. Europe has better.

Yeah but your negative opinion should be taken with a grain of salt...well really a salt lick. :P
I didn't just say those places are bad. I said other places are better.
Venice, Siena and Bologna are better than Rome.
Edinburgh, York, Cornwall, etc... are better than London
Paris....well I can't think of anywhere in France that I particularly like (I've only been to Paris, Lyon and some places I've forgot in the north). So I will just say Austria, the Netherlands and the Czech Republic are better.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on February 18, 2015, 01:35:36 PM
Paris....well I can't think of anywhere in France that I particularly like (I've only been to Paris, Lyon and some places I've forgot in the north). So I will just say Austria, the Netherlands and the Czech Republic are better.

:frusty:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Tyr on February 18, 2015, 01:35:36 PM

I didn't just say those places are bad. I said other places are better.
Venice, Siena and Bologna are better than Rome.
Edinburgh, York, Cornwall, etc... are better than London
Paris....well I can't think of anywhere in France that I particularly like. So I will just say Austria, the Netherlands and the Czech Republic are better.

If you are talking about a place to live or spend a couple months, maybe so. But for a few days sightseeing London, Paris, and Rome outclass those other places.

lustindarkness

Thank you Tyr, your opinion helps me greatly to make up my mind and be sure I go to Rome, Paris and London. :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

alfred russel

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 18, 2015, 11:21:25 AM
Regarding planning everything to save money, for me time is money, I need to pay the tour company to plan all this shit for me, I don't have the time to do so.

That makes sense.