Languish, help me plan a Euro vacation. Rome, Paris and London.

Started by lustindarkness, February 17, 2015, 11:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 18, 2015, 05:25:33 AM
What the other people said. One day only for any of these three cities is something only Asians can pull out while taking lots of photos.
Remember, London and Paris are only 2h15 away by train, faster and way more convenient than plane, despite a small checking at Gare du Nord and St Pancrace.

It's 3 days per city with two days being guided and one day free. Still a rush but not all that bad.

Crazy_Ivan80

depending on wether or not you go to Rome it might be interesting to know that
a) every first Sunday of the month a good number of museums and sites are free to visit

b) that the ticket for the Forum, Palatine Hill and Colosseum is the same for all three
c) that if you want to visit the Colloseum you better get your ticket at either the Forum or the Palatine
d) you can then bypass the endless line (biggest we saw was a quarter of the circumference of the Colloseum, equalling hours and hours of waiting!)
e) the Colosseum really is what it's name implies.

and

f) the Historical Centre of Rome (post Roman Rome) is really close by

mongers

Lusti whatever you do, avoid that small roundabout near Lambeth Bridge.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

"Hey look kids, there's Big Ben, and there's Parliament... again."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

I like that Languish has turned out to tell Lusti that there is simply too much to see in a free day and he should try and change the package. :lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Use your one free day in each city to camp out in a cafe patio and people watch.

Maladict

I have to agree it's too much in too little time. I'd probably drop Rome as well.
And if money is a constraint, why are you paying so much for it?
It doesn't even include flights, so it's just accommodation, the Eurostar and a guide?
The errors in the description don't inspire much confidence in the latter.

Gups

Rome is stinkingly hot and really thronged with tourists in June. Or it was last June when I was there anyway. OTOH, pretty much every girl between 16 and 35 was wearing those tiny shorts.

lustindarkness

This is why I posted this. I also think it is a bit rushed. But I also have a small budget for this and would like my son to see as much as I can get him to see.

The original idea was a week+ in Italy, Rome, Florence and Venice. I've been to Rome already, so I'm good there, sucks for The Wife and son. LOL
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

lustindarkness

Quote from: Tamas on February 18, 2015, 05:25:53 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 17, 2015, 11:48:13 PM
the IWM, British Museum and Greenwich. None of those appear to be on the itinerary.

In one day? I guess he better brings his gun to keep his family on the move during that death march.  :lol:

I'm not allowed :(
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

mongers

the IWM, British Museum and Greenwich. None of those appear to be on the itinerary.

In one day? I guess he better brings his gun to keep his family on the move during that death march.  :lol:

I've done those all in a long afternoon, thought I had a bike with me, so it was easy.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on February 18, 2015, 09:43:10 AM

I've done those all in a long afternoon, thought I had a bike with me, so it was easy.  :bowler:

I was in the British museum for a long afternoon and didn't even finish the ground floor.  :blush:

Maladict

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 18, 2015, 09:26:36 AM
This is why I posted this. I also think it is a bit rushed. But I also have a small budget for this and would like my son to see as much as I can get him to see.

The original idea was a week+ in Italy, Rome, Florence and Venice. I've been to Rome already, so I'm good there, sucks for The Wife and son. LOL

A week+, that's still too much. I'd stick to Tuscany or the Veneto. Seeing as much as possible is only limited by time, not by distance covered.

If you have a small budget, plan it yourself. Lose the guides and the preselected accommodation and travel options.
Or tell a travel company what you do want and have them take care of it.

garbon

On the side of recognizing Lusti that you aren't an independently wealthy family with months to take a grand tour, I think you could do a nice go of highlights in London and Paris in a week+. Sure there is plenty you won't have some time to see but you'll be able to see some cool things / expose your kid to cool things. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.