Languish, help me plan a Euro vacation. Rome, Paris and London.

Started by lustindarkness, February 17, 2015, 11:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

Quote from: The Brain on February 18, 2015, 02:36:09 PM
What's the deal with hating on guided tours?

We're a bunch of know-it-alls. Tour guides just get facts in the way of our interpretation of what we see.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Norgy on February 18, 2015, 03:19:27 PM
Quote from: The Brain on February 18, 2015, 02:36:09 PM
What's the deal with hating on guided tours?

We're a bunch of know-it-alls. Tour guides just get facts in the way of our interpretation of what we see.

Also, I am not sure what pleasure there could possibly be in being herded along in a group.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on February 18, 2015, 02:04:37 PM
Quote from: Gups on February 18, 2015, 02:03:11 PM
I don't think a package is so bad i.e. getting someone (a travel agent) to sort out the travel and hotel arrangements for you but I'd draw the line on going those appalling guided tours with the colour coded t-shirts etc.

What is so appalling about getting educated on what you are looking at?

You can get educated without being herded around. It does depend what you are doing. There are lots of audioguides rented on location, podcasts online, and wikipedia articles you can look up.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on February 18, 2015, 03:27:36 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 18, 2015, 02:04:37 PM
Quote from: Gups on February 18, 2015, 02:03:11 PM
I don't think a package is so bad i.e. getting someone (a travel agent) to sort out the travel and hotel arrangements for you but I'd draw the line on going those appalling guided tours with the colour coded t-shirts etc.

What is so appalling about getting educated on what you are looking at?

You can get educated without being herded around. It does depend what you are doing. There are lots of audioguides rented on location, podcasts online, and wikipedia articles you can look up.

I've done tours, self-guided tours, and wandered aimlessly.

A well-done tour (which isn't all of them) is probably the best way to do it.  You have a knowledgeable guide who can answer any questions and whom can speak your language.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Last summer I was on an awesome tour in Winchester Cathedral. Old dude, retired teacher, knocked it out of the park.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

Quote from: Barrister on February 18, 2015, 03:30:10 PM
A well-done tour (which isn't all of them) is probably the best way to do it.  You have a knowledgeable guide who can answer any questions and whom can speak your language.

Maybe. I prefer to be able to set my own pace, though.
And a well done tour generally won't have the guide use a funny umbrella and have all the group wear identical hats or labels.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on February 18, 2015, 03:33:29 PM
Last summer I was on an awesome tour in Winchester Cathedral. Old dude, retired teacher, knocked it out of the park.

Yeah, when you can catch one like that it is very good.

Josquius

I think one can draw a distinction between taking a tour of one site for a few hours and those week long tours where you're led by the hand to multiple sites.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on February 18, 2015, 03:51:22 PM
I think one can draw a distinction between taking a tour of one site for a few hours and those week long tours where you're led by the hand to multiple sites.

Agreed.  The former can be good.  The latter would make me wish I was back at work.

Norgy

A lot of cities in Europe have hop on-hop off buses that take you past the most familiar spots. A day pass costs a bit, but in exchange you also get the transport. I tried them in Amsterdam and Palermo. Not too bad, really. If you shell out for the headphones, you also get a pre-recorded message when you pass a point of interest.

I do prefer just walking around exploring and experiencing on my own though.

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Quote from: alfred russel on February 18, 2015, 03:56:17 PM
Lusti probably regrets starting this thread.  :lol:

I mean, if what he is after is getting his son exposure to the top cultural attractions in Europe with a minimum of hassle and in 10 days, this is a reasonable way to do it.

lustindarkness

Quote from: alfred russel on February 18, 2015, 03:56:17 PM
Lusti probably regrets starting this thread.  :lol:

On the contrary,  any reason for me to get some good info while laughing at the stuck up bitches. I love languish for that same reason.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on February 18, 2015, 01:56:30 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on February 18, 2015, 11:21:25 AM
Some great stuff, I sure hope CF is reading thise before she pulls the trigger. Regarding planning everything to save money, for me time is money, I need to pay the tour company to plan all this shit for me, I don't have the time to do so.

I travel by myself with the military and go see places without a plan, but I will not drag The Wife and Lazy Teenager like that. For example, I saw Rome in a day, basically dawn to dusk, walked the whole thing, saw everything mentioned. I've done the same in Germany, New Zealand, New York, DC etc. I have no problem with busses, trains and subways by myself, but with the family? Don't think so.

Thanks again guys. CF, you better be reading all this!

I'd actually kind of like to take a package tour one of these days.

I've been to Europe three times now.  First two times we only had a vague idea of our itinerary - no reservations, just winging it.  Except on the second trip Mrs B would really start freaking out about not knowing what's going to happen next, or where we would stay.  So third trip we had a day-by-day itinerary, with everything reserved in advance.  Mrs B was much better, but still got concerned at times.

So I think next time I'd almost prefer to take a pre-packaged tour, where everything is planned out to the minute.

Don't tell me you didn't have fun time at Auschwitz.  :mad:

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on February 18, 2015, 04:17:14 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 18, 2015, 01:56:30 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on February 18, 2015, 11:21:25 AM
Some great stuff, I sure hope CF is reading thise before she pulls the trigger. Regarding planning everything to save money, for me time is money, I need to pay the tour company to plan all this shit for me, I don't have the time to do so.

I travel by myself with the military and go see places without a plan, but I will not drag The Wife and Lazy Teenager like that. For example, I saw Rome in a day, basically dawn to dusk, walked the whole thing, saw everything mentioned. I've done the same in Germany, New Zealand, New York, DC etc. I have no problem with busses, trains and subways by myself, but with the family? Don't think so.

Thanks again guys. CF, you better be reading all this!

I'd actually kind of like to take a package tour one of these days.

I've been to Europe three times now.  First two times we only had a vague idea of our itinerary - no reservations, just winging it.  Except on the second trip Mrs B would really start freaking out about not knowing what's going to happen next, or where we would stay.  So third trip we had a day-by-day itinerary, with everything reserved in advance.  Mrs B was much better, but still got concerned at times.

So I think next time I'd almost prefer to take a pre-packaged tour, where everything is planned out to the minute.

Don't tell me you didn't have fun time at Auschwitz.  :mad:

:P

Auschwitz was intensely memorable and I'm very glad I went, but fun was perhaps not the right word for the experience...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.