Languish, help me plan a Euro vacation. Rome, Paris and London.

Started by lustindarkness, February 17, 2015, 11:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 18, 2015, 01:42:18 PM
Thank you Tyr, your opinion helps me greatly to make up my mind and be sure I go to Rome, Paris and London. :)

So you weren't tempted to do a family vacation to Siena, Cornwall, and York? :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 18, 2015, 11:21:25 AM
Some great stuff, I sure hope CF is reading thise before she pulls the trigger. Regarding planning everything to save money, for me time is money, I need to pay the tour company to plan all this shit for me, I don't have the time to do so.

I travel by myself with the military and go see places without a plan, but I will not drag The Wife and Lazy Teenager like that. For example, I saw Rome in a day, basically dawn to dusk, walked the whole thing, saw everything mentioned. I've done the same in Germany, New Zealand, New York, DC etc. I have no problem with busses, trains and subways by myself, but with the family? Don't think so.

Thanks again guys. CF, you better be reading all this!

I'd actually kind of like to take a package tour one of these days.

I've been to Europe three times now.  First two times we only had a vague idea of our itinerary - no reservations, just winging it.  Except on the second trip Mrs B would really start freaking out about not knowing what's going to happen next, or where we would stay.  So third trip we had a day-by-day itinerary, with everything reserved in advance.  Mrs B was much better, but still got concerned at times.

So I think next time I'd almost prefer to take a pre-packaged tour, where everything is planned out to the minute.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

lustindarkness

Quote from: alfred russel on February 18, 2015, 01:44:42 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on February 18, 2015, 01:42:18 PM
Thank you Tyr, your opinion helps me greatly to make up my mind and be sure I go to Rome, Paris and London. :)

Yeah, but on the way back from Kabul, Mogadishu and on the way to Port a Prince.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Gups

I don't think a package is so bad i.e. getting someone (a travel agent) to sort out the travel and hotel arrangements for you but I'd draw the line on going those appalling guided tours with the colour coded t-shirts etc.

Valmy

Quote from: Gups on February 18, 2015, 02:03:11 PM
I don't think a package is so bad i.e. getting someone (a travel agent) to sort out the travel and hotel arrangements for you but I'd draw the line on going those appalling guided tours with the colour coded t-shirts etc.

What is so appalling about getting educated on what you are looking at?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: alfred russel on February 18, 2015, 01:44:42 PM

Cornwall is very popular with middle aged German women, thanks to all those Rosamunde Pilcher movies on German TV that are set there. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Cornwall is beautiful. Lots of rich Londoners have their second home there.
And some of the best holidays of my childhood were in Yorkshire. It has some very nice areas. York is really a place anyone into history should visit at some point.
Siena too was great. Anybody who is in the area should ignore the crowds heading to Florence and spend a day there instead.

I wasn't suggesting those particular places though. Just saying there are much nicer places to visit in Europe than the 3 mentioned and I've yet to visit highly rated big places like Madrid or Berlin. Some variety from capitals would be an improvement too.
██████
██████
██████

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Maladict

Quote from: Valmy on February 18, 2015, 02:04:37 PM
Quote from: Gups on February 18, 2015, 02:03:11 PM

What is so appalling about getting educated on what you are looking at?

You could also do it without embarrassing yourself?

Valmy

Quote from: Maladict on February 18, 2015, 02:32:31 PM
You could also do it without embarrassing yourself?

Zero shits given.  I am on vacation, I am not seeing any of these people ever again.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on February 18, 2015, 02:25:42 PM
And some of the best holidays of my childhood were in Yorkshire. It has some very nice areas. York is really a place anyone into history should visit at some point.
Siena too was great. Anybody who is in the area should ignore the crowds heading to Florence and spend a day there instead.

I wasn't suggesting those particular places though. Just saying there are much nicer places to visit in Europe than the 3 mentioned and I've yet to visit highly rated big places like Madrid or Berlin. Some variety from capitals would be an improvement too.

But as the first place to visit?

My mother asked me about italy a month or two ago, asking about the little town that I had enjoyed.  That town was San Gimignano in Tuscany, and indeed, it was probably my favourite part of the trip (except for meeting Languishites).  However, if I was only going to visit one place in Italy, it would be Rome, not San Gimignano.  I suppose it's checking things off the "bucket list" - there are lots of charming towns and regions in the world, but there's only one Colosseum, one Eifel Tower, one London Bridge.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

I missed that you were doing a package tour.  I am not sure anyone who has the ability to do a bit of research would ever subject themselves to that. 

Maladict

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on February 18, 2015, 02:34:36 PM
Quote from: Tyr on February 18, 2015, 02:25:42 PM

But as the first place to visit?

My mother asked me about italy a month or two ago, asking about the little town that I had enjoyed.  That town was San Gimignano in Tuscany, and indeed, it was probably my favourite part of the trip (except for meeting Languishites).  However, if I was only going to visit one place in Italy, it would be Rome, not San Gimignano.  I suppose it's checking things off the "bucket list" - there are lots of charming towns and regions in the world, but there's only one Colosseum, one Eifel Tower, one London Bridge.

Some day I need to drive down to San Gimignano, it looks awesome.

I'd say to visit only 2 of the 3 and then see some interesting other places nearby. Paris and London are much of a muchness. Rome is a bit more different and has more to see.
██████
██████
██████