Languish, help me plan a Euro vacation. Rome, Paris and London.

Started by lustindarkness, February 17, 2015, 11:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

So, lets say the Lusti household plans a June euro tour vacation, one of those guided tours that include Rome :pope:, Paris  :frog: and London :bowler:. They include a free day in each of those cities. What to do those days?

Here is what we (read The Wife) are looking at: http://monograms.com/Booking/Monograms/Product.aspx?trip=5DRR

Two adults and a teenager, the little one does not want to go, so I'll save that money.  :D

Any languish volunteer tour guides?  :P
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

MadImmortalMan

This is kinda fast, isn't it? I'd rather spend all ten days in one of the places. But could be fun.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

As somebody who's never been outside of North America, I'm the perfect person to plan your trip for you.

So- Trevi fountain, Versailles, Buckingham Palace. Plus anywhere that's convenient to stop along the way.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

lustindarkness

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 17, 2015, 11:27:34 PM
This is kinda fast, isn't it? I'd rather spend all ten days in one of the places. But could be fun.

Yeah, but money and time limits us, I would spend a whole week in each country, and add a few countries while we are at it.  :lol:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

lustindarkness

And the guided day in Paris does not include the Louvre, so I guess that takes care of the Paris free day.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

MadImmortalMan

One day in London I took a train out to Kent and saw Hever. There's probably tons of things like that. Or you could be safe and see the IWM, British Museum and Greenwich. None of those appear to be on the itinerary.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 17, 2015, 11:36:22 PM
And the guided day in Paris does not include the Louvre, so I guess that takes care of the Paris free day.

Depending on the weather, I think I'd go to Versailles with a free day rather than the Louvre.

An idea that is maybe questionable because it involves more traveling, but a really excellent day trip from London is  Portsmouth with the Naval Yard: it has the Mary Rose (a raised Tutor era warship) and the Victory (Nelson's flagship), among others. If you want to stay in London, there is a replica of the Golden Hind (what Sir Francis Drake circumnavigated the globe in) nearby the reconstructed Globe Theatre.

I sort of agree with MIM that I'd rather spend the time in one city rather than try to hit all 3, but I get the appeal of doing it this way.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 17, 2015, 11:48:13 PM
One day in London I took a train out to Kent and saw Hever. There's probably tons of things like that. Or you could be safe and see the IWM, British Museum and Greenwich. None of those appear to be on the itinerary.

I definitely wouldn't try to cram in too many museums--you can spend days in the British Museum or the Louvre. They have tours and programs that hit the highlights of the museums--something like that would be a good idea.

Other ideas: see if you can find a sporting event to attend, go to a pub and let the teenager roam about on his own.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Monoriu

I won't do all three places in 10 days.  Too rushed.  Two is maximum for me.  London and Paris is the best combination because of Eurostar, so I'll get rid of Rome. 

I love the Invalids in Paris.  Excellent military museum.  Louvre is also a must-see. 

Gups

Depends on your taste and the weather. There are so many options but personally I'd recommend this for a day in London:

- have breakfast in the Shard or at Borough marker
- a stroll along the South Bank to the  the Tate Modern or the millennium wheel on the southbank depending on whether you are in the mood
- river bus along the Thames to Greenwich
- lot of options in Greenwich - Cutty Sark, Maritime Museum (in a beautiful building), market, park with the Royal Observatory and the meridian
- boat or train back to Town. Have dinner in the wonderful art deco Brasserie Zedel or the Criterion (depending on hwo flush you are), Piccadilly and catch a show (Book of Mormon is great if you haven't seen in in the State).

The Larch

It really feels way too rushed, one of this "If today is tuesday we're in Belgium" package holidays. If it was possible I'd try to narrow it down to two of those three cities at most, although I understand the desire to make the most of the trip.

Zanza

The day in Rome is extremely rushed and I would use one day for St. Peter and the Vatican museum and another day for Forum Romanum, Colloseum, Palatium, Circus Maximus. I wouldn't go to the catacombs and instead see the Spanish stairs, Pantheon, I Jesu, Capitoleum museums...

Duque de Bragança

What the other people said. One day only for any of these three cities is something only Asians can pull out while taking lots of photos.
Remember, London and Paris are only 2h15 away by train, faster and way more convenient than plane, despite a small check-inmm at Gare du Nord and St Pancrace.

Tamas

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 17, 2015, 11:48:13 PM
the IWM, British Museum and Greenwich. None of those appear to be on the itinerary.

In one day? I guess he better brings his gun to keep his family on the move during that death march.  :lol:

Tamas

But yeah you should select one city and stick with it. Maybe camp in London and train over to Paris for one day.