Things you learned in school that are no longer true.

Started by Razgovory, February 17, 2015, 01:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

It's kinda overpowered to get supremacy AND invisibility. It would be seriously unbalanced to have both.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on February 17, 2015, 02:10:54 PM
You posts here suggest otherwise.  :P

That's because you, like most inhabitants of the political extreme, are a Manichean, and unable to see any issue except in terms of black and white, good and evil.

mongers

Eek, we seemed to have somewhat derailed Raz's thread.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2015, 02:14:46 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 17, 2015, 02:10:54 PM
You posts here suggest otherwise.  :P

That's because you, like most inhabitants of the political extreme, are a Manichean, and unable to see any issue except in terms of black and white, good and evil.

I take it back, I'm not sure you're interested in the good social consequences of individuals 'selfish' actions.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Learning about the USSR compared to the US, in the early '90s, during the geography classes. Geography teacher was also the history teacher as always in France in high school.

Josquius

I recall a book I was given as a kid contained a large entity dominating a huge chunk of Eurasia called the CIS.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 17, 2015, 02:19:45 PM
Learning about the USSR compared to the US, in the early '90s, during the geography classes. Geography teacher was also the history teacher as always in France in high school.

We must have looked pretty good in that comparison :cool:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

:hmm:

There seems to be a discrepancy between thread title and OP. Many of the items noted so far seem to satisfy thread title but not OP as they were once true but are not true anymore and hence not taught whereas OP talks about things that were once taught either because they were then thought to be true / or the result of a teacher perniciously providing false information.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on February 17, 2015, 02:21:56 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 17, 2015, 02:19:45 PM

We must have looked pretty good in that comparison :cool:

Geography textbook said the US had really conquered and mastered its space, while the Soviets facing harsher contraints did not manage to do so, or only partially. :)

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

On the side of "pernicious misinformation" though I suppose not really pernicious is how in physics & chem they would teach you in intro classes how to calculate various interesting things. When you took later year courses, they would point out how the simple formulas they made you learn don't actually describe the actual phenomena.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on February 17, 2015, 01:58:41 PM
Quote from: celedhring on February 17, 2015, 01:31:39 PM
At uni, I had a class on audio-visual technology, where I had to learnt by heart a thick dossier on camera, film, TV, audio... tech of the late 1990s. I got an A+. All of that technology is now completely obsolete.

Yeah I used to be a video technician and all of that knowledge is redundant.  Maybe the telecine work would be somewhat relevant,

Blu-rays are still made from telecines. Of course, no digital intermediate in your time.
but since that was all mastered onto u-matic (?) maybe not.

Obviously not. Except for '70s or '80s sources that need to be archived.

frunk

Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2015, 02:29:18 PM
On the side of "pernicious misinformation" though I suppose not really pernicious is how in physics & chem they would teach you in intro classes how to calculate various interesting things. When you took later year courses, they would point out how the simple formulas they made you learn don't actually describe the actual phenomena.

Q: How does a physicist milk a cow?
A: Well, first let us consider a spherical cow...

Razgovory

I remember arguing with the sociology teacher that homosexuality was primarily an inborn trait.  He told me I was wrong and to shut up.  I even sited sources.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017