Things you learned in school that are no longer true.

Started by Razgovory, February 17, 2015, 01:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I learned in 1987/88 about USSR and GDR in geographcy class.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2015, 02:24:19 PM
:hmm:

There seems to be a discrepancy between thread title and OP. Many of the items noted so far seem to satisfy thread title but not OP as they were once true but are not true anymore and hence not taught whereas OP talks about things that were once taught either because they were then thought to be true / or the result of a teacher perniciously providing false information.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure the coal production of Kazakhstan is no longer what I was taught it was. In fact, I'm pretty sure it wasn't that, even when I was taught it. But presumably it was true at one point.

The Brain

Quote from: mongers on February 17, 2015, 02:47:11 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 17, 2015, 02:44:30 PM
I remember arguing with the sociology teacher that homosexuality was primarily an inborn trait.  He told me I was wrong and to shut up.  I even sited sources.

So he was plainly in denial.  :)

Just like Antinous.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: celedhring on February 17, 2015, 01:31:39 PM
At uni, I had a class on audio-visual technology, where I had to learnt by heart a thick dossier on camera, film, TV, audio... tech of the late 1990s. I got an A+. All of that technology is now completely obsolete.

Years ago when I worked as a consultant, I used to testify in court as an expert on video taped evidence.  Who uses VHS technology now, except the occasional inner-city Korean grocer.

All that knowledge, lost like bags of overpriced corn chips in the rain.

grumbler

There seems to be a discrepancy between thread title and OP. Many of the items noted so far seem to satisfy thread title but not OP as they were once true but are not true anymore and hence not taught whereas OP talks about things that were once taught either because they were then thought to be true / or the result of a teacher perniciously providing false information.

Agreed.  Most of this is just complaining about bad teachers.

I remember learning that dinosaurs certainly were cold-blooded.  Nowadays, that idea is probably the minority opinion.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

garbon

I remember arguing with the sociology teacher that homosexuality was primarily an inborn trait.  He told me I was wrong and to shut up.  I even sited sources.

Oh I remember being told in Health class that anal sex was bad as that part of the body was designated as an "out only" area.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2015, 03:06:56 PM

Oh I remember being told in Health class that anal sex was bad as that part of the body was designated as an "out only" area.

They got that part right. :P

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on February 17, 2015, 03:05:32 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 17, 2015, 02:58:12 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 17, 2015, 02:56:46 PM
Christian theology.

Has Christian theology changed a lot since then?

Dunno, but it is still not true. :P
What is also still not true is that you can comprehend simple English.  The question isn't "what is not true" but rather "what did you learn as true that is no longer believed to be true?"
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on February 17, 2015, 03:08:30 PM
Christian theology.

What is also still not true is that you can comprehend simple English.  The question isn't "what is not true" but rather "what did you learn as true that is no longer believed to be true?"

I no longer believe it to be true, so it technically fits the description.

Many examples used in the thread so far (such as homosexuality being a disease/not being an inborn trait) are still believed to be true by some people, just as well.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on February 17, 2015, 02:47:39 PM

Like I said, I'm pretty sure the coal production of Kazakhstan is no longer what I was taught it was. In fact, I'm pretty sure it wasn't that, even when I was taught it. But presumably it was true at one point.

Which is why I would say it meets the thread title but not the OP which seems to be more about things that were taught that we believed to be true but turned out not to be (or were never true but teachers taught them anyway).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on February 17, 2015, 03:08:30 PM
Christian theology.

Read the OP.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Oh well, in that case, it's boring stuff, like Pluto.

We probably got some soft stuff about Soviet Union and the like, but I was 12 when the communism collapsed so we did not really get into any heavy propaganda.