Things you learned in school that are no longer true.

Started by Razgovory, February 17, 2015, 01:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on February 17, 2015, 06:08:13 PM
Quote from: celedhring on February 17, 2015, 05:17:11 PM
My Spanish language textbook still considered "Galician-Portuguese" to be the same language, and I was told as such by my teachers. It's been centuries since both languages diverged. I've always suspected that, since this was in the late 1980s, it was a remnant of Franco times Spanish cultural imperialism.

That's about the most interesting thing I can come up with that adheres strictly to the OP, sorry.

You can still find that notion dangling around in philological circles. It has a hard time against the reality down on the ground, but it has some validity up in ivory towers.

Thing is, Franco was not a pro-Galician language dude so colour me skeptical on this one. Only Castilian existed. Not sure where you get that Francoist vibe  :huh: Specially, since the "Galician and Portuguese are (very) different languages" position was something very popular after Franco which led to the imposition of Castilian spelling to Galician, not exactly the best choice given the history of Galician.

As for being the same language, there is still this dialect continuum between Northern Portuguese and Galician. Of course, Lisboete is quite another thing.

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 17, 2015, 06:45:29 PM
My Spanish language textbook still considered "Galician-Portuguese" to be the same language, and I was told as such by my teachers. It's been centuries since both languages diverged. I've always suspected that, since this was in the late 1980s, it was a remnant of Franco times Spanish cultural imperialism.

That's about the most interesting thing I can come up with that adheres strictly to the OP, sorry.

You can still find that notion dangling around in philological circles. It has a hard time against the reality down on the ground, but it has some validity up in ivory towers.

Thing is, Franco was not a pro-Galician language so colour me skeptical on this one. Only Castilian existed. Not sure where you get that Francoist vibe  :huh: Specially, since the "Galician and Portuguese are (very) different languages" position was something very popular after Franco which led to the imposition of Castilian spelling to Galician, not exactly the best choice given the history of Galician.

As for being the same language, there is still this dialect continuum between Northern Portuguese and Galician. Of course, Lisboete is quite another thing.

Interesting part of the world, what's it like for cycling?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on February 17, 2015, 06:47:34 PM

South of the country is flat, north is hilly and/or mountainous. The beaches in the South have too many Brits holding property, yet who cannot afford a baby sitter.

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 17, 2015, 07:01:16 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 17, 2015, 06:47:34 PM

South of the country is flat, north is hilly and/or mountainous. The beaches in the South have too many Brits holding property, yet who cannot afford a baby sitter.

:D

I know a bit about Portugal in general, I was more interested in that area on the North Portuguese-Spanish borders, looks very interesting on the maps/satellite images.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on February 17, 2015, 04:54:14 PM
AR's story about Adam's Rib is an example of what the thread should be about.  Your story about learning some details about coal production in Kazakhstan is an example of what it should not be about.

Luckily you're the boss of no-one on this board :hug:

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2015, 04:36:43 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 17, 2015, 04:34:29 PM
If the Megathread Police have a recruitment drive, you'd be a shoo-in. Your enthusiasm and attention to detail on the OP Squad is exemplary.

This not being a megathread, or a microthread that should be merged to a megathread, the Megathread Police have no jurisdiction.  Rather your comments would make more sense if they referred to the Semantics Police.

I was primarily commenting on his zeal. You are correct that the Megathread Police has no jurisdiction in this case. As for the Semantics Police, you are similarly correct; though I believe that the OP Squad is part of the Semantics Police (unless they've been reorganized again).

That said, perhaps a better bet would be for garbon to join the Federal Bureau of Pointless Nitpickery, as they seem to show up whereever they fucking well please. He'd get to work closely with grumbler, which might be a bonus too depending on perspective.

Monoriu

We had to learn Hong Kong's international ranking in various manufacturing industries.  No. 1 is textiles, No. 2 in toy production, etc.  Before I even left school, most of the factories left for the mainland. 

garbon

Grumbler did have one thing right, your example was really dull. Why you brought it up again when I noted that some stories seemed to be only about the thread title - well I guess only you know. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Thing is, Franco was not a pro-Galician language dude so colour me skeptical on this one. Only Castilian existed. Not sure where you get that Francoist vibe  :huh: Specially, since the "Galician and Portuguese are (very) different languages" position was something very popular after Franco which led to the imposition of Castilian spelling to Galician, not exactly the best choice given the history of Galician.

Ask 5 linguists how many living Romance languages there are, and you're likely to get at least 4 different answers.  The numbers start at 5 (ARAIK, no one lists less than that--Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, and Romanian) and go up from there.  IIRC, the Encyclopedia Britannica says 11, and I've seen some sources that list 20 or more.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on February 17, 2015, 07:11:07 PM
That said, perhaps a better bet would be for garbon to join the Federal Bureau of Pointless Nitpickery, as they seem to show up whereever they fucking well please. He'd get to work closely with grumbler, which might be a bonus too depending on perspective.

:lol:  "Thanks, we'll handle the thread from here.  When we need to commandeer your posts, we'll try and let you know."

LaCroix

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 17, 2015, 07:16:07 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 17, 2015, 07:11:07 PM

:lol:  "Thanks, we'll handle the thread from here.  When we need to commandeer your posts, we'll try and let you know."

Odd coming from the man who just makes up positions for people.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

You don't need to lecture me on stuff about my home region, and it was Cel the one who assumed the Franco link.  :P

The linguists that put forward the "Galician and Portuguese are the same language" are bound to be the exact opposite of Franco apologists.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on February 17, 2015, 07:06:18 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 17, 2015, 04:54:14 PM
AR's story about Adam's Rib is an example of what the thread should be about.  Your story about learning some details about coal production in Kazakhstan is an example of what it should not be about.

Luckily you're the boss of no-one on this board :hug:
Luckily, I know what both what the word "should" means and what the word "boss" means.  That makes one of us. :hug:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2015, 07:15:24 PM
Grumbler did have one thing right, your example was really dull. Why you brought it up again when I noted that some stories seemed to be only about the thread title - well I guess only you know. :(

Well, two things right; I also said that your argument was a good one.  :D
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!