Sheilbh's Scott Walker Lovefest and Union Bashing Megathread

Started by Sheilbh, February 11, 2015, 02:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleves

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 12, 2015, 09:52:31 PM
What are the class size they're aiming for?
~15 in grade school, ~25 in middle/high school, I think.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Kleves on February 12, 2015, 09:51:17 PM
in order to fund a measure that has, at best, marginal benefits for everyone save the union.

One would think that the parents of students in overcrowded classrooms would see, at best, marginal benefits.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 12, 2015, 07:33:56 PMWho pays for the police and prisons in states?

The cops just take money out of peoples' cars, remember.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Kleves on February 12, 2015, 09:54:48 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 12, 2015, 09:52:31 PM
What are the class size they're aiming for?
~15 in grade school, ~25 in middle/high school, I think.
I'd say 20 and 25 would be ideal.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

I really doubt class size has any real correlation to education quality. If anything, I'd say larger class sizes would encourage more critical thinking skills.

Google found this.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 12, 2015, 10:33:18 PM
I really doubt class size has any real correlation to education quality.

Being able to manage 20 little shits instead 40 little shits impacts a teacher's ability to teach effectively, and a student's ability to pay attention effectively.  That's just basic crowd control math.

QuoteIf anything, I'd say larger class sizes would encourage more critical thinking skills.

In what, survival skills?  :lol:

Razgovory

So did we come to a consensus that it's evil if a public service union gives money to a candidate but totally different if a business gives donations so it can continue it's contracts with the government?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

I really doubt class size has any real correlation to education quality. If anything, I'd say larger class sizes would encourage more critical thinking skills.

My experience is the opposite, but what do I know?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Seriously, this is the zaniest thing I have read here in weeks.  :lol:

Martinus

Martinus

Quote from: mongers on February 12, 2015, 07:42:24 PM
Damn this thread grew quickly; exec.sum. please.

Corporations not only are people, they are good people.

Unions are evil.

Teachers are lazy and should be happy with whatever they are paid, since noone talented and able to get a job in another industry would even consider teaching.

There was also a bunch of ignorant claims.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on February 12, 2015, 11:47:31 PM
So did we come to a consensus that it's evil if a public service union gives money to a candidate but totally different if a business gives donations so it can continue it's contracts with the government?

They're both bad.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: grumbler on February 13, 2015, 12:17:52 AM
My experience is the opposite, but what do I know?

Well convince me then. I've looked up lots of studies that show both results, and nearly all of them are conducted or paid for my some group with a conflict of interest. And the stats don't show much difference either way when comparing internationally (which has its obvious deficiency of course).

I'm guessing it matters most with the very young kids, grade K-4 or so. But hell I had classes with 400 or more students in them in college and it was fine.

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 13, 2015, 01:49:57 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 12, 2015, 11:47:31 PM

They're both bad.

Freedom is a bitch ain't it?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Did MiM just really equate college lecture aulas with elementary and high school classrooms?  :hmm: