There were at least 700 more Lynches in the South than previously thought

Started by jimmy olsen, February 10, 2015, 04:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I don't. I made that point few posts back. Again, I wasn't trying to say you are a "bad person", just that I do not agree with your comment that this is something that has already been discussed a lot. ;)

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on February 11, 2015, 11:44:15 AM
I don't. I made that point few posts back. Again, I wasn't trying to say you are a "bad person", just that I do not agree with your comment that this is something that has already been discussed a lot. ;)

I do not think I am a bad person for possibly having KKK/lynching/race rioting Great-Grandparents :P

Believe my I let my anti-Confederate and anti-Jim Crow anger go when I was a teenager which upset my Grandmother a great deal.  That puzzled me until I later realized her own grandfather was a Confederate veteran.  Things you don't think about when you are a kid.

I am saying the reason it has not been discussed a lot is not because there is some grand conspiracy to keep it hidden, quite the contrary it is out there all the time, but that people just do not give a damn about history.  Particularly unpleasant history.

Remember when Martim was all up on his high horse about the conspiracy in the US to not discuss the looting/murders committed by the US troops in Germany at the end of WWII and the subsequent camps where lots of Germans starved?  Oh it is discussed but it does not leave much of an impression on anybody.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on February 11, 2015, 11:47:10 AM
Remember when Martim was all up on his high horse about the conspiracy in the US to not discuss the looting/murders committed by the US troops in Germany at the end of WWII and the subsequent camps where lots of Germans starved?  Oh it is discussed but it does not leave much of an impression on anybody.

The German POW thing was about the decision to switch them from the US military ration (which was enormous) to the displaced person ration.

Interestingly, I recently read a bit in the NYT by a guy kvetching about US treatment of concentration camp rescuees, and one of his bitches was they only got as much food as German POWs.

Valmy

This is what it means to be an American.  We help destroy Nazi Germany and help liberate all the concentration camps and people are still annoyed with us.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on February 11, 2015, 10:29:39 AM
I thought the issue was blacks getting tougher sentences for the same offenses as other less black races, not that we were tossing completely innocent people on death row in large numbers.
how many people executed than later found innocent in States where they have death penalty?

University of Michigan law professor Samuel Gross led a team of experts in the law and in statistics that estimated the likely number of unjust convictions. The study determined that at least 4% of people on death row were and are innocent. The research was peer reviewed and the prestigious Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences published it, Gross has no doubt that some innocent people have been executed. [12][13]
Statistics likely understate the actual problem of wrongful convictions because once an execution has occurred there is often insufficient motivation and finance to keep a case open, and it becomes unlikely at that point that the miscarriage of justice will ever be exposed. In the case of Joseph Roger O'Dell III, executed in Virginia in 1997 for a rape and murder, a prosecuting attorney argued in court in 1998 that if posthumous DNA results exonerated O'Dell, "it would be shouted from the rooftops that ... Virginia executed an innocent man." The state prevailed, and the evidence was destroyed.[14]

Than we add the number for people freed before they are executed, and I think we have "a lot". 
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Not really.  The numbers of people on death row are statistically insignificant.  Further people wrongfully convicted is different than knowingly executing innocent people because they are poor and black.  The presumption is that the justice system actually thinks it has the guilty party.  This is an argument against the death penalty not a continuation of lynching.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on February 11, 2015, 03:55:29 PM
Not really.  The numbers of people on death row are statistically insignificant.  Further people wrongfully convicted is different than knowingly executing innocent people because they are poor and black.  The presumption is that the justice system actually thinks it has the guilty party.  This is an argument against the death penalty not a continuation of lynching.
aren't blacks over represented in death penalty cases?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Viper, you are sounding a little nutty. As, I think g already asked - where is the proof of this plot to put away innocent people just because they are black?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: viper37 on February 11, 2015, 10:22:03 AM
Quote from: dps on February 11, 2015, 07:34:32 AM
If we were somehow transported back in time, no.  Though, if we were all white males born in the South back in the day, or Germans during WWII, I think a lot of us wouldn't be so noble.  Look at some of our posters' attitudes toward Moslems.  If those same posters were Germans of 70-some years ago, don't you think they'd be positively enthusiastic about gassing the Jews?
I think it depends on the age&education we got.
Were we raised by Hitler's Youth, there's zero doubt that most of us would have happily gazed jews.

But if we're around 30 when the Nazis come to power, hard to tell.  Well, Jacob wouldn't do it for sure, that I know.  What with him being arrested in 1934 and deported to some concentration camp already ;) . Siege is a no brainer, if he was not Jewish, he would have killed the Jews, ennemies of the State.
Others, I still think most of us wouldn't have done it.  Fighting in the war, certainly.  Turning a blind eye to suspicions we have, most likely, like most Whermacht army officers who didn't actively participate in the masscres.  But volunteering for the Totenkopf, even the muslim haters I find them unable to do so.  Maybe I'm too idealistic.

Oh, yeah, I think you're WAAAAY too optimistic.  Frankly, I think that almost all of us, if we were heterosexual, non-Jewish, and raised in pre-WWII Germany, would at the very least turn a blind eye to the Holocaust.  I just don't think that we can reasonably claim that as a group, we are somehow more moral and noble than Germans of that time. 

I do agree that most of us wouldn't have been active participants or Nazi party members, but OTOH, Siegy wouldn't be the only exception.  Aside from anti-Semites, I can also see some people who would join the party because they'd think it a good career move, and people who would have seen Hitler as the strong leader Germany needed. 

Ide, of course, would have been a party member, but wouldn't have taken part in the Holocaust, 'cause he would have been one of Ernst Rohm's SA boys and would have been purged in the Night of the Long Knives.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on February 11, 2015, 07:17:30 PM
Aren't blacks over-represented as victims in cases where convicted killers are not executed, escape from prison, and murder again?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: dps on February 11, 2015, 07:44:24 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 11, 2015, 10:22:03 AM
Quote from: dps on February 11, 2015, 07:34:32 AM
If we were somehow transported back in time, no.  Though, if we were all white males born in the South back in the day, or Germans during WWII, I think a lot of us wouldn't be so noble.  Look at some of our posters' attitudes toward Moslems.  If those same posters were Germans of 70-some years ago, don't you think they'd be positively enthusiastic about gassing the Jews?
I think it depends on the age&education we got.
Were we raised by Hitler's Youth, there's zero doubt that most of us would have happily gazed jews.

But if we're around 30 when the Nazis come to power, hard to tell.  Well, Jacob wouldn't do it for sure, that I know.  What with him being arrested in 1934 and deported to some concentration camp already ;) . Siege is a no brainer, if he was not Jewish, he would have killed the Jews, ennemies of the State.
Others, I still think most of us wouldn't have done it.  Fighting in the war, certainly.  Turning a blind eye to suspicions we have, most likely, like most Whermacht army officers who didn't actively participate in the masscres.  But volunteering for the Totenkopf, even the muslim haters I find them unable to do so.  Maybe I'm too idealistic.

Oh, yeah, I think you're WAAAAY too optimistic.  Frankly, I think that almost all of us, if we were heterosexual, non-Jewish, and raised in pre-WWII Germany, would at the very least turn a blind eye to the Holocaust.  I just don't think that we can reasonably claim that as a group, we are somehow more moral and noble than Germans of that time. 

I do agree that most of us wouldn't have been active participants or Nazi party members, but OTOH, Siegy wouldn't be the only exception.  Aside from anti-Semites, I can also see some people who would join the party because they'd think it a good career move, and people who would have seen Hitler as the strong leader Germany needed. 

Ide, of course, would have been a party member, but wouldn't have taken part in the Holocaust, 'cause he would have been one of Ernst Rohm's SA boys and would have been purged in the Night of the Long Knives.

Sadly, I think you are right. That is why I think open dialogue and reconciliation is necessary - not because, say, Southern racism stands out so much amidst inhuman crimes comitted by people against people in history - but exactly because it doesn't and everyone has their dirty laundry they should air (even "victim nations" like the Irish for example).

Human nature sucks.

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on February 14, 2015, 07:52:12 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 11, 2015, 07:17:30 PM
Aren't blacks over-represented as victims in cases where convicted killers are not executed, escape from prison, and murder again?
:huh: