Self-proclaimed atheist charged in slayings of North Carolina Muslim students

Started by garbon, February 11, 2015, 09:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Valmy on February 12, 2015, 12:03:55 PM
Am I crazy here?  Does anybody think, when they hear of a shooting at a school or something in the US, think Muslims are involved?  Any articles that speculate that?  Am I really living a bubble?

No
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Berkut

Of course you are not.

Shootings in the US like this are terrifyingly routine. The fact that the victims happen to be Muslim is not really news except that people want to make it news. The culture of victimhood runs up against the culture of gun fetish worship. Yawn.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on February 12, 2015, 12:07:12 PM
The fact that the victims happen to be Muslim is not really news except that people want to make it news.

If by "people" you are referring to media outlets, then yes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on February 12, 2015, 12:08:08 PM
Quote from: Berkut on February 12, 2015, 12:07:12 PM
The fact that the victims happen to be Muslim is not really news except that people want to make it news.

If by "people" you are referring to media outlets, then yes.

I believe he means people who aren't him.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

That said, V, it was probably an overreach on my part. -_- Looking at some of the high profile shootings, the only one I could quickly find was that in the case of the Colorado shooting, there were questions as the day of on whether or not the shooter was linked with Islam.

What I did find though is something else, which is that every time there is a whiff of something being suspected as perpetrated by a Muslim, it is suddenly an act of terror.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/04/claire-mccaskill-terrorism-boston-marathon-sandy-hook-90213.html
QuoteClaire McCaskill: If Boston bombings are terrorism, why not Sandy Hook?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/14/AR2011011403054.html?sid=ST2011011106086
QuoteWas it tragedy in Tucson? Or terror?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/apr/22/boston-marathon-terrorism-aurora-sandy-hook
QuoteWhy is Boston 'terrorism' but not Aurora, Sandy Hook, Tucson and Columbine?

The last is Greenwald but I still think he makes some good points.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

QuoteWhy is Boston 'terrorism' but not Aurora, Sandy Hook, Tucson and Columbine?

Boston: Linked to a terrorist organization
Colubine: Couple emo kids going wacko. The benchmark to LE's change in tactics on active shooter.
Sandy Hook: White Boy's cheese slipped off his cracker.
Tucson: See #3
Aurora: See #3
2-5 not terrorism
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Siege

If the killer had been a conservative dude, the media would have exploded attacking the Tea Party.
But since it was an atheist, no media coverage, or it would undermine the argument that atheist people better than religious and that religion is the source of violence.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Remember when they tried to sell the shooter of that Gilford woman from Arizona as a tea party member?
When they found out the dude was a liberal they tried to hide it, claim the dude was just crazy, not mentioning his politics.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on February 12, 2015, 10:20:10 AM
Self proclaimed atheists are the worst.

I am glad I was proclaimed by my pastor instead.

I thought divine lightning strikes were the only truly accepted standard.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Siege on February 12, 2015, 12:48:22 PM
But since it was an atheist, no media coverage

Indeed the lack of media coverage explains why the story is being carried by every significant media outlet in the country and beyond.

:huh:
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 12, 2015, 03:41:12 PM
Quote from: Siege on February 12, 2015, 12:48:22 PM
But since it was an atheist, no media coverage

Indeed the lack of media coverage explains why the story is being carried by every significant media outlet in the country and beyond.

:huh:

The media is sneaky that way.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Siege

Oh shit, double judden attack!
I haven't had one of those in a while.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on February 12, 2015, 12:12:56 PM
What I did find though is something else, which is that every time there is a whiff of something being suspected as perpetrated by a Muslim, it is suddenly an act of terror.

That is, indeed, a good point.  That I could get behind and there is support for.  It is also distinct from what the article was claiming that 'Muslim lives do not matter'.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on February 12, 2015, 03:48:48 PM
Oh shit, double judden attack!
I haven't had one of those in a while.

You going to defend your stupid statement or just spew anti-Semitic attacks? :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."