Are Republicans really nasty bad losers on all things?

Started by Martinus, February 10, 2015, 01:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on February 10, 2015, 02:53:41 AM
QuoteAlabama chief justice threatens to sue judges who issue gay marriage licences

Despite that legally, same-sex couples should be able to marry from Monday in Alabama, the state's chief justice has instructed judges not to issue marriage licences to gay and lesbian couples.
Same-sex weddings are set to begin today in some parts of Alabama – though some probate judges are refusing to comply.
District court Judge Callie VS Granade ruled last month that the state's 'Sanctity of Marriage Amendment' – which defined marriage as between a man and a woman – was unconstitutional.
The chief justice of the Alabama Supreme Court previously encouraged judges to flout the ruling.
Justice Roy Moore said in an order that judges in the state are not required to obey the ruling.
"Effective immediately," Moore wrote, "no Probate Judge of the State of Alabama nor any agent or employee of any Alabama Probate Judge shall issue or recognize a marriage license that is inconsistent" Alabama laws banning same-sex marriage.
Moore's order addressed 68 probate judges, who among other duties, issue marriage licences.
He went on to suggest that any judge issuing marriage licences could face legal action from the state's Governor.
If marriages are allowed to begin, Alabama will become the 37th state to recognise equal marriage.

So, how is this even legal?

Google Judge Roy Moore, and check out his history.

The quick answer to your question is it isn't legal, and will quickly be overturned.  It will get Judge Moore plenty of publicity however.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

My knowledge about these things is taken from TES, who is a practicing US lawyer. So I would value his knowledge of US law to that of grumbler or in fact pretty much everyone on this board except for Joan and AmScip.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on February 10, 2015, 11:48:52 AM
My knowledge about these things is taken from TES, who is a practicing US lawyer. So I would value his knowledge of US law to that of grumbler or in fact pretty much everyone on this board except for Joan and AmScip.

Why does James not come and explain himself? :(

I guess both he and Ank swore us off.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

James whines about anything if it even has a hint of the GOP.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

So Marti, to answer your question... when it comes to gay rights, it does appear that certain elements of the GOP are on the wrong side of history, at least for the medium term.  I think that while at one point they were quite right to take a stand they thought right, but at this point the issue is pretty much over and these last gasp attempts to fight gay rights and marriage make the party look pathetic.

But it's a big party.  And gay rights are only one of many issues.  I think it is a mistake to say that just because a party is wrong on one issue, they are wrong on all issues.  From time to time I can find that the Liberal and NDP parties have some merit to their ideas, even if they are not parties I wish to see in government.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on February 10, 2015, 09:33:58 AM
Damn.  Yeah, nasty as well.  Norm Charlton, Rob Dibble and Randy Myers are our leaders.

John Rocker.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on February 10, 2015, 12:09:07 PM
So Marti, to answer your question... when it comes to gay rights, it does appear that certain elements of the GOP are on the wrong side of history, at least for the medium term.  I think that while at one point they were quite right to take a stand they thought right, but at this point the issue is pretty much over and these last gasp attempts to fight gay rights and marriage make the party look pathetic.

But it's a big party.  And gay rights are only one of many issues.  I think it is a mistake to say that just because a party is wrong on one issue, they are wrong on all issues.  From time to time I can find that the Liberal and NDP parties have some merit to their ideas, even if they are not parties I wish to see in government.

I am not saying GOP is wrong on all issues (although, to be honest I can't think of a single issue right now where they are right, while Democrats are wrong). The problem is that anti-gay vitriol coming from GOP these days is so strong - and so ridiculous in the face of shifting public opinion - I can't see any self-respecting gay person or any self-respecting person who cares for someone gay (as a friend, family etc.) voting for them.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 10, 2015, 12:17:35 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 10, 2015, 09:33:58 AM
Damn.  Yeah, nasty as well.  Norm Charlton, Rob Dibble and Randy Myers are our leaders.

John Rocker.

He wasn't one of the Nasty Boys, but I suppose we can give him honorable mention.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on February 10, 2015, 12:09:07 PM
From time to time I can find that the Liberal and NDP parties have some merit to their ideas,
Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean. It is better to die for Harper than to live for yourself!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Martinus

In fact, you could say that on those issues that this administration was initially wrong (mainly foreign policy issues, such as "reset with Russia", withdrawal from Europe, naive policy towards Middle East/Muslim countries), Obama has done quite an impressive U-turn over the last 3-4 years, aligning himself closer with the Republican stances. On everything else (taxes, healthcare, reproductive rights, gay rights, immigration, climate change, regulation) Democrats have been consistently right and Republicans have been consistently wrong.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Martinus

Quote from: Siege on February 10, 2015, 01:26:26 PM
Gays are only 1.5% of the population.

Closer to 6-7%. And they have families and friends. I tell my parents how to vote.

CountDeMoney

In related news, Siegy experiments with his gayness when his blood alcohol level reaches .15.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on February 10, 2015, 01:33:29 PM
Closer to 6-7%. And they have families and friends. I tell my parents how to vote.

Do you at least buy them new shoes at election time?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

Quote from: Martinus on February 10, 2015, 01:33:29 PM

Wrong. Show me the source of your data.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"