Are Republicans really nasty bad losers on all things?

Started by Martinus, February 10, 2015, 01:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Because the slew of recent hateful, anti-LGBT legislation and other actions (like the judge in Alabama) seems to be both very nasty and very futile. Do they really believe in what they are doing? Because this is a thing that will make them look very bad in history books for decades to come.

MadImmortalMan

Yes. But.

What did they do?

Sorry I don't read the Advocate.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Martinus

It's just a slew of very reactionary, "bad faith" laws, like (just examples):

- a Florida law being proposed imposing prison sentence on transgendered people using a "wrong" bathroom;
- an Arkansas law which prohibits town/city councils from adopting anti-discrimination ordinances;
- a Texas law which prohibits (under prison sentence) state officials from issuing gay marriage licenses, in the event gay marriage is declared legal by courts;
- a chief justice of Alabama instructing local judges to ignore the ruling of the federal appeal court which struck down Alabama gay marriage ban as unconstitutional.

I wonder if Obama has guts to send in National Guard if push comes to shove.

Martinus

QuoteAlabama chief justice threatens to sue judges who issue gay marriage licences

Despite that legally, same-sex couples should be able to marry from Monday in Alabama, the state's chief justice has instructed judges not to issue marriage licences to gay and lesbian couples.
Same-sex weddings are set to begin today in some parts of Alabama – though some probate judges are refusing to comply.
District court Judge Callie VS Granade ruled last month that the state's 'Sanctity of Marriage Amendment' – which defined marriage as between a man and a woman – was unconstitutional.
The chief justice of the Alabama Supreme Court previously encouraged judges to flout the ruling.
Justice Roy Moore said in an order that judges in the state are not required to obey the ruling.
"Effective immediately," Moore wrote, "no Probate Judge of the State of Alabama nor any agent or employee of any Alabama Probate Judge shall issue or recognize a marriage license that is inconsistent" Alabama laws banning same-sex marriage.
Moore's order addressed 68 probate judges, who among other duties, issue marriage licences.
He went on to suggest that any judge issuing marriage licences could face legal action from the state's Governor.
If marriages are allowed to begin, Alabama will become the 37th state to recognise equal marriage.

So, how is this even legal?

celedhring

Quote from: Martinus on February 10, 2015, 02:42:05 AM

- a Florida law being proposed imposing prison sentence on transgendered people using a "wrong" bathroom;
- an Arkansas law which prohibits town/city councils from adopting anti-discrimination ordinances;
- a Texas law which prohibits (under prison sentence) state officials from issuing gay marriage licenses, in the event gay marriage is declared legal by courts;
- a chief justice of Alabama instructing local judges to ignore the ruling of the federal appeal court which struck down Alabama gay marriage ban as unconstitutional.

Seems they are trying to go Jim Crow on gays.

Martinus

Yeah, it just seems like a very pathetic attempt, not least because, unlike blacks in the 1960s, there are many powerful gays out there. Plus it's as if they never learn.

Neil

And also, unlike blacks in the 60s, gays really are a cancer on society that needs to be eliminated.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on February 10, 2015, 03:36:46 AM
Yeah, it just seems like a very pathetic attempt, not least because, unlike blacks in the 1960s, there are many powerful gays out there. Plus it's as if they never learn.

It is not a question of learning.  The Republicans only care when the locals make them care so they will make as much sound and fury as possible where applicable and cheer on the gays where applicable.

This is a party that points to every gay Republican with pride as proof to the Democrats they are inclusive, while at the very same time doing these things.  The parties in the US are very big tents and are capable of doing loads of contradictory things and representing groups in direct opposition to each other.  After all the Democrats were once both the party of the KKK and the Civil Rights movement at the same time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on February 10, 2015, 02:42:05 AM

I think you fail to understand how many really stupid laws are "proposed" by someone in pretty much every country pretty much every day.  Talk to a lawyer in your own country; lawyers generally love to collect stories about stupid law proposals.  "Proposed" is a meaningless standard for a law.

Now, the Alabama Supreme Court justice thing is highly amusing, as it shows just how asinine Alabama is for allowing judges to be elected.  This is an electioneering stunt by Moore (remember when he refused to remove the Ten Commandments from his courtroom? Also electioneering, and highly successful) who hopes to be elected President of the US some day.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Don't forget nasty.

"My name ain't baby, it's Janet. Miss Jackson if you're a Republican."
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Damn.  Yeah, nasty as well.  Norm Charlton, Rob Dibble and Randy Myers are our leaders.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Pretty hard to win elections if you can't get any votes outside the Cincinnati metro area.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 10, 2015, 09:38:51 AM
Pretty hard to win elections if you can't get any votes outside the Cincinnati metro area.  :P

Except Mayor of Cincinnati.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on February 10, 2015, 09:39:41 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 10, 2015, 09:38:51 AM

Except Mayor of Cincinnati.

Let's leave Jerry Springer out of this.