News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Greenland PBEM/Vassal

Started by Habbaku, February 09, 2015, 01:46:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

So I will do my Sage/Tool-Maker action to put my harpoon into my tableau. Right?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Yes, costing you your starting iron.

Tamas is up.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

I will play my Inventory card I just gained (for my one iron)

Habbaku

Uploaded a file with all of our elder actions.

Things are looking up in the world!  The Norse have continued to steadily expand their holdings without too much interruption from up north.  We've even domesticated a new doggy.  See how pretty he is?

He's probably really good at hunting.

Unfortunately, er...Iceland had an accident :

Mount Laki erupted and is leading to some rather deleterious effects on Greenland.  The Bird Cliffs which the Tamaunit tribe hunted on so successfully have become sparser.  Ditto the breeding grounds of the Arctic Char, the Bowhead Whale and the Arctic Caribou.  Lots of species aren't really up to co-existing, unfortunately.

Speaking of co-existing...an elder die-off that I mentioned earlier has been triggered.  Each of us must now pay an energy for ever elder we wish to keep alive.  No energy?  Then the elders die.  The Norse lose their Viking Chief (warband leader) and their Shaman while keeping the Mariner and Chief alive (to allow easy movement and to make sure the survivors don't feud for supremacy).

Over to Berkut and Tamas to do the same.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

I am going to burn 5 energy to keep all my elders.

Berkut can tell me what he is doing and then I can just do the steps and place my hunters, as I see I'll be going first.

Solmyr

Quote from: Habbaku on February 18, 2015, 07:29:05 PM
Things are looking up in the world!  The Norse have continued to steadily expand their holdings without too much interruption from up north.  We've even domesticated a new doggy.  See how pretty he is?

Did you name him Moon Moon?

Syt

Map sucks.

Seriously, that game board looks pretty busy and not nice to look at.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on February 19, 2015, 08:30:09 AM
Map sucks.

Its basically a bunch of cards placed down. I do agree it is confusing for new players. However, actual game-related info is on the edges of the cards, rest is flavour.

Berkut

We will spend two energy to keep our Mariner and Tracker alive.

0 rows returned

Berkut

This really is pretty neat - the designers notes throughout the rulebook are a great read.

However, it does kind of make me wonder why in the fuck people actually live in places like that. Just, you know...move.

You read about some group like the Thule migrating to Greenland and have to think "Didn't someone say 'Hey, this fucking sucks - how about we keep on moving?'"

0 rows returned

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on February 19, 2015, 09:03:36 AM
Quote from: Syt on February 19, 2015, 08:30:09 AM
Map sucks.

Its basically a bunch of cards placed down. I do agree it is confusing for new players. However, actual game-related info is on the edges of the cards, rest is flavour.

Yeah.  There is no "board" at all in this game.  It is just a series of cards.  All game information is at the top and bottom--everything in the middle is flavor.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Solmyr on February 19, 2015, 08:06:44 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on February 18, 2015, 07:29:05 PM

Did you name him Moon Moon?

:thumbsup:

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Did the administration and my hunter placement.

I sent my Alpha down south for some sure-fire fishing, the rest of the tribe, however, gathered in an attempt to domesticate the Ox up north. It would mean both a sledge-dragging animal, as well as source of food.

Habbaku

Technically, the Norse are first to place again this turn, but I'm guessing it doesn't matter much at the moment.

The Norse alpha sets off to go bag some seal babies while others seek out the fabled caribou again.  A sizeable portion of the Norse settlers, however, have decided to get the fuck off this frozen rock and depart to Vinland!  Hopefully that turns out to be more hospitable...

Over to Berkut to place hunters and resolve if he wants to try that.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

So sending them to Vinland is permanent, right?

0 rows returned