Main Menu

Union Jack takes it in the Union Sack

Started by CountDeMoney, February 04, 2015, 07:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on February 05, 2015, 04:31:33 PM
Quote from: Malthus on February 05, 2015, 04:28:54 PM
The Ontario Flag has the Union Jack.

For sheer uglyness, though, few flags beat the Toronto flag - which does not.  ;)

:huh:

It looks like an animation of someone unzipping his/her jeans and it being censored just at the crucial moment.

:lol:

Pretty well exactly what I think of it (or, "a naked person's legs, wearing a maple leaf instead of the more traditional fig leaf").

Needless to say, it was a flag chosen by a committee - a fact that belongs on one of those "demotivator" posters.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Now perhaps you guys can appreciate why some of us like traditional flag designs based on the Union Jack - at least in that case, we won't end up saluting a modern committee-chosen abortion like that.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on February 05, 2015, 04:37:39 PM
Oh wow it really does.

And that's why feudalism was a good thing, at the end.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on February 05, 2015, 04:40:11 PM
Now perhaps you guys can appreciate why some of us like traditional flag designs based on the Union Jack - at least in that case, we won't end up saluting a modern committee-chosen abortion like that.  ;)

Or like that New Zealand thing.  It looks like a corporate logo.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

dps

Hmm.  Corporate logo, or SS PanzerArmee insignia? 

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Siege

The US flag with an extra star for DC, eating the rest of the country, because we know people inside the beltway are more equal.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Valmy

People inside the beltway get to pay federal taxes with no representation in Congress or the Senate.  That is kind of weird place for the master race to be in.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Siege on February 05, 2015, 04:47:52 PM
The US flag with an extra star for DC, eating the rest of the country, because we know people inside the beltway are more equal.

Inside the Beltway includes a big chunk of Maryland and Virginia.

If you mean residents of DC, they are less equal because they have no representation in the Senate.

Valmy

Well I guess they do have a House Representative, they just cannot vote.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on February 05, 2015, 04:52:19 PM
Well I guess they do have a House Representative, they just cannot vote.

I thinks she might be allowed to vote on DC matters.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on February 05, 2015, 04:49:40 PM
Actually before we judge Toronto so harshly, look at the other submissions...

http://www.blogto.com/city/2012/03/what_the_toronto_flag_might_have_looked_like/

A few of those are better, but that is not saying much.