News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Union Jack takes it in the Union Sack

Started by CountDeMoney, February 04, 2015, 07:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Is he the mascot for Six Flags Over Texas?

I've been there, a thousand years ago.

Grey Fox

We've been thru this before but my suburb has the ugliest flag.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on February 05, 2015, 07:51:05 PM
I haven't heard anybody saying we have the six flags of Texas means we are Confederates.  Yet you seem to think so.
Symbols of the Confederacy remain a contentious issue across the United States and their civic placement has been debated vigorously in many Southern state legislatures since the 1990s.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on February 06, 2015, 02:30:17 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 05, 2015, 07:51:05 PM
I haven't heard anybody saying we have the six flags of Texas means we are Confederates.  Yet you seem to think so.
Symbols of the Confederacy remain a contentious issue across the United States and their civic placement has been debated vigorously in many Southern state legislatures since the 1990s.

Only the Battle Flag because it was used by the KKK and segregationists.  Nobody ever has a problem with other symbols of the Confederacy because they are, indeed, simple relics.  If terroristic lynchings were carried out by Elizabeth II then I guess I get it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I can't think of any symbol of the old Confederacy besides the Battle Flag that still carries weight off the top of my head.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Liep on December 11, 2015, 05:03:18 AM
New Zealand's new flag:

Not so fast, there is a runoff poll against the current flag in March.

Liep

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 11, 2015, 05:07:57 AM
Not so fast, there is a runoff poll against the current flag in March.

Ah, I doubt it'll change then. I don't think I'd vote for the new flag if I was a New Zealander.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Crazy_Ivan80

New Zealand's new flag:

needs some white scribbles in the middle. Maybe with a scimitar underneath.

MadImmortalMan

It could be worse. Like New Guinea. But I don't prefer it over the current one.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 04, 2015, 07:43:30 AM
You hear that, colonizers? 

QuoteFiji Will Drop Union Jack From Its Flag, Premier Says
New York Times

HONG KONG — Fiji will replace its national flag this year to remove symbols of British colonialism, Prime Minister Frank Bainimarama announced Tuesday.

Upon independence in 1970, the Pacific island nation adopted a flag closely modeled after its colonial-era banner, with a British Union Flag in the upper left corner and a shield with symbols including the British lion and the Cross of St. George in its right half.

"They are the symbols of the colonizer — Britain — a country with whom we are friends and will continue to be so," Mr. Bainimarama said. "But they are not symbols that are relevant to any Fijian in the 21st century. And they should go."

The Union Flag, also known as the Union Jack, appears on the flags of a variety of territories and provinces, as well as a handful of national flags of former British colonies. One of those countries, New Zealand, could drop the Union Jack from its flag pending the outcome of two referendums, to be held this year and next.

Mr. Bainimarama said Fiji would begin soliciting citizens' suggestions for a new design with "indigenous and truly Fijian symbols of identity." He said he hoped the final result would retain the existing "Fiji blue" background but remove the Union Flag and colonial shield.

A government-selected citizens' panel will choose a final design, with plans to complete the process in time for Oct. 10, when Fiji marks 45 years of independence.

That's right Fuji, kick'em in the pee hole. Cast off the shackles of the empire.

:huh:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Archy

New Zealand's new flag:

No wonder Lord of the Rings was filmed over there. Looks like a flag for Sauron

celedhring

bogh

Since I am living in New Zealand these days, I can attest that the flag debate has a complete farce. I'd be very surprised if the new flag got adopted, since there's a lot of opposition to change in general coupled with a significant of direct opposition to that specific design (which I also find pretty ugly). My gf (who's got Kiwi citizenship) voted for the "red peak" flag (which was only added into the mix after social media uproar), which I'd also prefer over any of the alternatives.

The RSA and other organizations are lobbying pretty hard to keep the flag and the whole thing is seen as a bit of prestige project for the very successful Prime Minister, signaling that he has run out of actual policy ideas.

BTW: https://www.ted.com/talks/roman_mars_why_city_flags_may_be_the_worst_designed_thing_you_ve_never_noticed?language=en

Red Peak