Main Menu

Union Jack takes it in the Union Sack

Started by CountDeMoney, February 04, 2015, 07:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

You hear that, colonizers? 

QuoteFiji Will Drop Union Jack From Its Flag, Premier Says
New York Times

HONG KONG — Fiji will replace its national flag this year to remove symbols of British colonialism, Prime Minister Frank Bainimarama announced Tuesday.

Upon independence in 1970, the Pacific island nation adopted a flag closely modeled after its colonial-era banner, with a British Union Flag in the upper left corner and a shield with symbols including the British lion and the Cross of St. George in its right half.

"They are the symbols of the colonizer — Britain — a country with whom we are friends and will continue to be so," Mr. Bainimarama said. "But they are not symbols that are relevant to any Fijian in the 21st century. And they should go."

The Union Flag, also known as the Union Jack, appears on the flags of a variety of territories and provinces, as well as a handful of national flags of former British colonies. One of those countries, New Zealand, could drop the Union Jack from its flag pending the outcome of two referendums, to be held this year and next.

Mr. Bainimarama said Fiji would begin soliciting citizens' suggestions for a new design with "indigenous and truly Fijian symbols of identity." He said he hoped the final result would retain the existing "Fiji blue" background but remove the Union Flag and colonial shield.

A government-selected citizens' panel will choose a final design, with plans to complete the process in time for Oct. 10, when Fiji marks 45 years of independence.

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 04, 2015, 07:43:30 AMPrime Minister Frank Bainimarama

I liked his songs "Cruel Summer" and "Robert De Niro's Waiting."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

New Zealand's proposed flags are truly horrible.  Don't make a rash decision just because you are tired of being mistaken for Australia Kiwis!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on February 04, 2015, 09:50:32 AM
New Zealand's proposed flags are truly horrible.  Don't make a rash decision just because you are tired of being mistaken for Australia Kiwis!
I love the silver fern:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 04, 2015, 09:52:19 AM
I love the silver fern:

I think Valmy already covered that when he said 'horrible'. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PJL

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 04, 2015, 09:52:19 AM
I love the silver fern:

I think it would looks even better with the Southern Cross. Plus it'll also be reminiscent of the flag of Gondor too.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: derspiess on February 04, 2015, 10:09:57 AM
Looks like some SS unit symbol.

SS Totensfern -- the New Zealand volunteer unit in some horrible alt-history novel.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on February 04, 2015, 10:13:39 AM
Quote from: derspiess on February 04, 2015, 10:09:57 AM
Looks like some SS unit symbol.

SS Totensfern -- the New Zealand volunteer unit in some horrible alt-history novel.

Wrong, that's the 29th Panzer, "SS Quill Division"

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 04, 2015, 10:19:48 AM
Wrong, that's the 29th Panzer, "SS Quill Division"

Lol armored Nazi accountants.