Beep, beep
3 (60%)
Jaron
0 (0%)
I like this option
2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Caliga

I believe that I use it sparingly enough.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on June 16, 2009, 08:03:35 PM
I believe that I use it sparingly enough.  :)
I don't.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Monoriu

Can't you fight it? 

sbr

Quote from: Monoriu on June 16, 2009, 08:43:57 PM
Can't you fight it?
Fight what jury duty or racial epithets?

Monoriu

Quote from: sbr on June 16, 2009, 09:03:20 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 16, 2009, 08:43:57 PM
Can't you fight it?
Fight what jury duty or racial epithets?

Make up excuses on why he can't do jury duty.  Religion, race, can't speak English etc.

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on June 16, 2009, 09:27:59 PM
Make up excuses on why he can't do jury duty.  Religion, race, can't speak English etc.

Hi, I can't serve jury duty as I'm black. :lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on June 16, 2009, 10:08:19 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 16, 2009, 09:27:59 PM

Hi, I can't serve jury duty as I'm black. :lol:

In Hong Kong, someone who works in the medical field is exempted.  Can you claim the same?

Or can you claim that you are illiterate (a long shot for a Stanford graduate, I know)

What about the religion angle?  Say you believe in some obscure religion that forbids jury duty?

Monoriu

What about some disease that can't be proven?  Say you have severe back pain or headache or something.  Doing jury duty will harm your health, or something.

What about you have to attend so-and-so's wedding/funeral on [insert date of trial]?

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on June 16, 2009, 10:15:04 PM
In Hong Kong, someone who works in the medical field is exempted.  Can you claim the same?

Or can you claim that you are illiterate (a long shot for a Stanford graduate, I know)

What about the religion angle?  Say you believe in some obscure religion that forbids jury duty?

Like I said, I think my best angle is that being picked would be an undue financial hardship.  As my employer won't pay, I wouldn't be able to afford my apartment/car/food on the $15/day stipend they hand out.

Oh and the brochure they gave me said that you can't asked to be excused on the basis of any identity thing like race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. Additionally it said that you don't really need to have a great grasp of English to be a juror.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

I love you, Mono.   :lol:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

HVC

Quote from: garbon on June 16, 2009, 10:20:57 PM
you don't really need to have a great grasp of English to be a juror.
:lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on June 16, 2009, 10:24:56 PM
:lol:

I suppose I was a bit liberal. It says that you need to understand common, everyday English but that you do not need to be fluent at speaking English.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on June 16, 2009, 10:20:57 PM
Oh and the brochure they gave me said that you can't asked to be excused on the basis of any identity thing like race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. Additionally it said that you don't really need to have a great grasp of English to be a juror.

What about comments like "we should try them before we hang them" or "the US judicial system is run by international megacorporations?"
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?