Beep, beep
3 (60%)
Jaron
0 (0%)
I like this option
2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

DontSayBanana

I'm exempt since I'm in a state education program with strict attendance requirements. :contract:
Experience bij!

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on September 16, 2009, 07:29:34 AM
I'm really not sure why everyone is so eager to avoid jury duty.  :huh:  I was proud to have done my civic duty, and at least under US law you can't be fired or anything for missing work while serving, though employers can opt to not pay you.

I don't think dipping into my savings is my civic duty.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Someone at my work just got picked for grand jury. He has to go in once a week for 13 months. :o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on September 16, 2009, 10:42:40 AM
Someone at my work just got picked for grand jury. He has to go in once a week for 13 months. :o

Huh I only had to go in once a month for six months.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on September 16, 2009, 10:42:14 AM
I don't think dipping into my savings is my civic duty.
Well, to be fair, the Founding Fathers only wanted rich people to be involved in government.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on September 16, 2009, 10:47:05 AM
Well, to be fair, the Founding Fathers only wanted rich people to be involved in government.  :)

"Fortunately there are not enough men of property in America to dictate policy"

"Perhaps not. But don't forget that most men without property would rather protect the possibility of becoming rich, than face the reality of being poor.  That is why they will follow us!"
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Neil on September 16, 2009, 06:31:14 AM
A quarter of your population isn't illegal aliens.

Nowhere in the states is it that bad, but Illinois is near the top per capita.

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/peo_est_num_of_ill_imm_percap-number-illegal-immigrants-per-capita
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Caliga

Here's an article about the case I almost got selected for on Monday (I had to sit through voir dire till almost noon):

QuoteJury reduces robbery charge

By Robin Bass

A Spencer County jury reduced second degree robbery charges for a Mt. Washington man that used a hand-written note to get money from a Country Mart gas station employee last September.

Curtis A. Blandford, 20, was found guilty of theft by unlawful taking of over $500 Monday in Spencer County Circuit Court.

The jury recommended that Blandford be sentenced to one and a half years in jail.

Judge Charles Hickman set Blandford's sentencing date as May 6.

Blandford was video taped entering the gas station Sept. 27 and passing a note the clerk. On the slip of paper read, "This is a stick up. Give me all of you money or (expletive) happens. The note appeared to have been scribbled on a church bulletin or other religious document, because printed under Blandford's message was a scripture verse.

The story made headlines last year, in part, because County High School teacher Jacob Barmore followed the suspect for several miles before blocking Blandford's Jeep Cherokee from exiting a dead end street near Tanglewood Golf Course.

With no cell phone to call the authorities, Barmore convinced the suspect to get in his vehicle and drove the suspect to On the Way Cafe, a nearby restaurant.

Taylorsville Police cautioned residents from engaging potential suspects, instead citizens are encouraged to get a suspect's license plate number, description of the car and report the suspect's whereabouts to law enforcement.

Once in police custody, $982 and several snacks taken from the convenient store were recovered.

Blandford reportedly told police in September that he was unemployed and recently "had a falling out" with family members.

Second degree robbery is a felony charge that involves making threats, not the use of deadly weapons. This offense carries the penalty of five to 10 years in prison.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2009, 10:49:35 AM
Quote from: Caliga on September 16, 2009, 10:47:05 AM

"Fortunately there are not enough men of property in America to dictate policy"

"Perhaps not. But don't forget that most men without property would rather protect the possibility of becoming rich, than face the reality of being poor.  That is why they will follow us!"
Who said this?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

Adams & Dickinson. Atleast they did in the movie 1776.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!111111111111oneoneeleveneleveneleven
:ultra:

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on April 26, 2010, 05:01:26 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!111111111111oneoneeleveneleveneleven
:ultra:

Lemmie guess - chosen for a panel?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Yes, and this is not a one day deal either.  Gonna be a week or more.

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on April 26, 2010, 05:33:15 PM
Yes, and this is not a one day deal either.  Gonna be a week or more.

I'll give you a hint that will make things go much easier - only listen to what the prosecuting attorney has to say.   :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi