Majority of U.S. public school students are in poverty; first time in 50 years

Started by jimmy olsen, January 19, 2015, 08:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on January 20, 2015, 06:17:26 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 20, 2015, 05:41:34 PM
There are certainly very few irresponsible rich people in the world and none who also have a good education; that stuff back in 2008 was the Poor's fault, proof being the well off did exceptionally well out of it, so they can't be irresponsible can they?

Subtlety in the construction of strawman arguments just isn't possible for you, is it?  :hmm:

Who are you, Dorothy or is it Toto?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

LaCroix

i'm not sure if it has anything to do with irresponsibility. that implies it's objectively wrong/foolish. it may look wrong to some, but i don't think that mentality is shared by everyone.

i think it's just different goals. a future doctor has paranoia and fear of an unwanted pregnancy that a future subway manager simply lacks. both know the repercussions. one cares and the other doesn't. that planning and structure that puts a person on a successful career path shies her away from getting knocked up. the other doesn't have that stress and is less likely to see pregnancy as essentially the end of her dreams. hell, she may want the child or the child may in fact be her dream because children give meaning to one's life.

mongers

Quote from: LaCroix on January 20, 2015, 08:55:21 PM
i'm not sure if it has anything to do with irresponsibility. that implies it's objectively wrong/foolish. it may look wrong to some, but i don't think that mentality is shared by everyone.

i think it's just different goals. a future doctor has paranoia and fear of an unwanted pregnancy that a future subway manager simply lacks. both know the repercussions. one cares and the other doesn't. that planning and structure that puts a person on a successful career path shies her away from getting knocked up. the other doesn't have that stress and is less likely to see pregnancy as essentially the end of her dreams. hell, she may want the child or the child may in fact be her dream because children give meaning to one's life.

:rolleyes:

Tut, where did you blow in from ? The real world or some such equally fanciful place.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

LaCroix

Quote from: mongers on January 20, 2015, 09:01:23 PM:rolleyes:

Tut, where did you blow in from ? The real world or some such equally fanciful place.  :P

i don't get the objection.

and i come from a fanciful winter wonderland.  :)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on January 20, 2015, 08:55:21 PM

We're talking about people who have more kids than they can afford to raise by themselves.

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 20, 2015, 09:06:55 PMWe're talking about people who have more kids than they can afford to raise by themselves.

i know: poor people, not lower middle class. i agree that a family is irresponsible if they're popping out their fifth child while the first two are being fed to the other two. but that rarely happens. if you're saying it's irresponsible to the state because they accept government money, then OK. i agree it's irresponsible to the state and most would agree.

i don't think that necessarily means it's irresponsible to mom and pop (or just mom), though. whatever leads a girl to have three children by 25 probably leads a similar girl with no children to be just as broke. that's not necessarily irresponsibility in an objective sense, unless the argument is that everyone should proceed down a specific path.

Admiral Yi

LaCroix

Admiral Yi

I don't get what you mean by irresponsible of mom and pop.*

To my way of thinking, having a kid you can't feed is plain vanilla irresponsible, irrespective of who or what it is by, at, for, to, or with.

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 20, 2015, 09:35:17 PM

To my way of thinking, having a kid you can't feed is plain vanilla irresponsible, irrespective of who or what it is by, at, for, to, or with.

but the children are fed, at least in the west. in some cases, there might not be much food on the table, but the child still survives. i'm under the assumption that child deaths or serious physical harm due to malnourishment occurs in only extreme cases and is not common among people with low income.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on January 20, 2015, 09:40:30 PM
but the children are fed, at least in the west. in some cases, there might not be much food on the table, but the child still survives. i'm under the assumption that child deaths or serious physical harm due to malnourishment occurs in only extreme cases and is not common among people with low income.

And a smack head can survive for a while on soup lines and homeless shelters.  Is that your definition of responsible?

Razgovory

Ah, so two 16 year old  girls get knocked up.  One from a poor family and one from a rich family.  Simply by virtue of their families wealth you can label one irresponsible and one not irresponsible even though they have engaged in the exact same action?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Sure.  In exactly the same way the poor girl using the rent money to buy clothes is irresponsible and the trust funder is not.

Jacob

Quote from: LaCroix on January 20, 2015, 09:06:18 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 20, 2015, 09:01:23 PM:rolleyes:

i don't get the objection.

and i come from a fanciful winter wonderland.  :)

It was, I believe, a mock-bjection. I expect mongers thinks you made sense.

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on January 20, 2015, 09:57:24 PM

Ah, so two 16 year old  girls get knocked up.  One from a poor family and one from a rich family.  Simply by virtue of their families wealth you can label one irresponsible and one not irresponsible even though they have engaged in the exact same action?

I'd label them both irresponsible, all else being equal.  The consequences are likely to be far worse for the poor girl than for the rich girl, but both are behaving irresponsibly, again, all else being equal.

My point was never that ALL poor people are irresponsible about having babies, or that NO rich people are irresponsible.