Majority of U.S. public school students are in poverty; first time in 50 years

Started by jimmy olsen, January 19, 2015, 08:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Hmm, guess we might as well scrap them in most parts of the country, then if they're of negligible benefit.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on January 20, 2015, 11:16:41 AM
Hmm, guess we might as well scrap them in most parts of the country, then if they're of negligible benefit.

Don't worry, your elected officials are doing their absolute best to make sure they are.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 19, 2015, 08:09:11 PM
Poor people are more irresponsible than rich people?

Are you seriously questioning the proposition that poor women are more likely to have an unplanned pregnancies than non-poor women?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on January 20, 2015, 12:13:21 PM

Are you seriously questioning the proposition that poor women are more likely to have an unplanned pregnancies than non-poor women?

Ah, backing away form the absurd proposition that poor people are more irresponsible than rich people.  Good.  That was never going to end well for you.

As for the question about whether poor women have more "unplanned" pregnancies, I am not sure.  Getting data on that question would be difficult because the question of whether the pregnancy was planned is difficult to objectively measure.  Rich woman have the resources to hide the fact that they were ever pregnant (travelling abroad to have the child and give it up for adoption or travelling to another jurisdiction to have an abortion) or that the pregnancy was unplanned (Men tend to have an economic incentive to marry rich woman whom they impregnate).

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 20, 2015, 12:36:43 AM
I have about 10,000 data points of single black mothers.

Single black mothers are poor and irresponsible, basically by definition? And this supports the notion that poor people are irresponsible?

Norgy

I think there may be more variables at play rather than ethnicity and poverty, but who am I to judge the grand wizard.

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 20, 2015, 12:37:51 PM

As for the question about whether poor women have more "unplanned" pregnancies, I am not sure.  Getting data on that question would be difficult because the question of whether the pregnancy was planned is difficult to objectively measure.  Rich woman have the resources to hide the fact that they were ever pregnant (travelling abroad to have the child and give it up for adoption or travelling to another jurisdiction to have an abortion) or that the pregnancy was unplanned (Men tend to have an economic incentive to marry rich woman whom they impregnate).

This is just fucking bizarro.

It is not even a little bit controversial to note that there is a very significant relationship between poverty and unintended pregnancies.
Income
As in past reports, there was a large disparity
in rates by women's income level. The total
pregnancy rate for poor women was more than
3 times that of women in the highest income
category, and their unintended pregnancy rate
was more than 5 times that of the same group.
The unintended birth rate for poor women
was also high.

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/ajph.2013.301416.pdf

Getting data is not difficult, and the idea that this data is flawed because men want to marry "rich" women they knock up is downright weird and kind of creepy...

And since when is the world divided between "poor" and "rich" anyway? There is a rather large group of "not poor and yet not rich" you know...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Norgy on January 20, 2015, 01:43:03 PM
I think there may be more variables at play rather than ethnicity and poverty, but who am I to judge the grand wizard.
Only CC and Jacob are contending that those are the only issues in play.  Poor people tend to be less well-educated, for instance, and less-well-educated people tend to be less aware of consequences and less likely to consider them, and thus are more likely to act irresponsibly.  I think that ethnicity plays much less of a role than poverty; there tends to be a much stronger correlation between poverty and poor education than between any given ethnicity and poor education.

Now, CC may want to weasel-word around the meaning of "unitended pregnancy" but the US Federal government notes that
QuoteThe rate of unintended pregnancy among poor women (those with incomes at or below the federal poverty level) in 2008 was 137 per 1,000 women aged 15–44, more than five times the rate among women at the highest income level (26 per 1,000)
http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/FB-Unintended-Pregnancy-US.html
That same study supports my education contentions
QuoteIn 2008, women without a high school degree had the highest unintended pregnancy rate among all educational levels (101 per 1,000 women aged 15–44), and rates were lower for women with more years of education* .
*(from that report's source, 29 per 1,000 for college grades, 60 per 1000 for HS grads)

Edit:  Dammit, Berkut, you beat me to that trivially-easy-to-find-but-CC-couldn't-find-it report!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on January 20, 2015, 02:01:40 PM
Quote from: Norgy on January 20, 2015, 01:43:03 PM
Only CC and Jacob are contending that those are the only issues in play. 

:huh:

If you are going to lie about what others post there is really no point.  But then I guess that was your only option after saying the poor people are less responsible than rich people.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on January 20, 2015, 01:59:52 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 20, 2015, 12:37:51 PM

This is just fucking bizarro.

I agree.  It is unusual that someone would make a wide characterization about rich and poor without having knowledge of either.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Oh grumbler, why do you have to lie?

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on January 20, 2015, 02:16:16 PM

Oh grumbler, why do you have to lie?

Nice weasel! :lmfao:  You have mentioned nothing but those issues so far, and in fact deny that they are even significant to anything other than "the classic narrative."

Bayraktar!