Majority of U.S. public school students are in poverty; first time in 50 years

Started by jimmy olsen, January 19, 2015, 08:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on January 21, 2015, 02:57:05 PM
I can't even bring myself to respond to Siege on economic issues. It is like talking to a 4 year old who just randomly regurgitates out of context Rush Limbaugh quotes.

Siege is the cleverest troll on the board.  He occasionally reveals his true self, but not often.  Engage him only if it amuses you; I don't think he really cares.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 21, 2015, 03:03:58 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 21, 2015, 02:46:40 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 21, 2015, 02:38:33 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 21, 2015, 02:35:32 PM
That is exactly correct, actually. Poverty begets more poverty, and much of that is due to consistently "irresponsible" decision making - this isn't a controversial idea.

We've disproven conclusively your earlier "question" in regards to pregnancy - the rate of unintended pregnancy among the poor is 5 times that of the rest of the population. That is the rate, btw, hence adjusted for number.

Can you spot the logical leap you are making?

I agree that poverty begets more poverty more often than not.  But the reason is very different from the "irresponsible decision making" you propose.  Blaming the poor for being poor is an ideological device that is controversial and given you have already said you understand the need for state assistance for the poor, inconsistent on your part.

No at all inconsistent, because I am not blaming the poor for being poor, I am stating that being poor leads to bad decision making.

How does being poor make one inherently a bad decision maker?  Some of the wisest people I have ever met were poor.  They were wise with their money and their judgments because they could not afford not to be.  And your notion that people have some control over whether they are poor feeds directly into the narrative which blames them for being poor.  ie they deserve to be poor because if they had just made better decisions, worked harder etc etc they would not be poor.

Fact is a lot of poor people are poor even though they work hard and act responsibly.  Someone up stream made the joke that of course poor people lack good judgment, they are poor aren't they.  You have fallen into that illogical hole.

Fact is that overall poor people make bad decisions compare to the not poor. Anecdotes about some poor people making good decisions are not disproof of that.

Let me know when you want to talk about facts and reality rather than feeling superior while harming those you want to feel superior about...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on January 21, 2015, 02:59:45 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 21, 2015, 02:27:34 PM
lol, Are you really suggesting that that poor people have some kind of condition (your analogy) which causes them to be more likely to act irresponsibly?  Having come from poverty I can tell you that condition tends to create a state of mind favouring prudence over risk.

Lol, have you paid no attention to what I write whatsoever?

I did.  Perhaps the solution is for you to be more careful about what you write.  Your suggestion that poverty and irresponsibility is like a cold is to sneezing was in Berkut's words "bizarro".

Siege

Quote from: grumbler on January 21, 2015, 03:04:09 PM
I can't even bring myself to respond to Siege on economic issues. It is like talking to a 4 year old who just randomly regurgitates out of context Rush Limbaugh quotes.

Siege is the cleverest troll on the board.  He occasionally reveals his true self, but not often.  Engage him only if it amuses you; I don't think he really cares.

What is this undeclared war you are waging on me?
I am not a troll, and I can prove it!!!1111

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on January 21, 2015, 03:06:37 PM
Fact is that overall poor people make bad decisions compare to the not poor.

Ok, where are these "facts".  I suspect you are suffering from the same observational error made by Grumbles.  There are a lot more poor people than rich people (and the middle class is quickly disappearing).  Even if there are a smaller percentage of bad decision makers within the ranks of the poor there will still be more in absolute terms.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Crazy Canuck is not poor yet he continues to make the bad decision not to cut his losses in this thread.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 21, 2015, 03:06:52 PM
I did.  Perhaps the solution is for you to be more careful about what you write.  Your suggestion that poverty and irresponsibility is like a cold is to sneezing was in Berkut's words "bizarro".

:huh:  Did you even read what I wrote.  This response is completely "bizarro."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 21, 2015, 03:09:13 PM
Fact is that overall poor people make bad decisions compare to the not poor.

Ok, where are these "facts".  I suspect you are suffering from the same observational error made by Grumbles.  There are a lot more poor people than rich people (and the middle class is quickly disappearing).  Even if there are a smaller percentage of bad decision makers within the ranks of the poor there will still be more in absolute terms.

Please, provide some support for the assertion that there are more poor people than non-poor people, or stop making such an absurd argument (and calling anyone referring to real life data as making "observational errors."  Your ass is even redder now than it was five minutes ago.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 21, 2015, 03:13:33 PM
Crazy Canuck is not poor yet he continues to make the bad decision not to cut his losses in this thread.

It's pretty incredible, isn't it?  Even Raz seems to have realized how stupid CC's arguments are, and seems to have stopped supporting them.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Siege on January 21, 2015, 03:07:24 PM

That's exactly what a troll would say!

Bayraktar!

Siege

Quote from: grumbler on January 21, 2015, 03:22:44 PM
Quote from: Siege on January 21, 2015, 03:07:24 PM

That's exactly what a troll would say!

Are you trolling me?
Yeah, I think your are trolling me. Why else pick on the little guy with the funny accent.
Well, you know what Grumbler? FFUCK YOU!!

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

It has to be a clever joke.  To rant about the free market without ever having worked in the private sector is just to strange.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 21, 2015, 03:13:33 PM

:lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Fact is that overall poor people make bad decisions compare to the not poor. Anecdotes about some poor people making good decisions are not disproof of that.

Let me know when you want to talk about facts and reality rather than feeling superior while harming those you want to feel superior about...

I'm not sure that's true.  I've read some articles suggesting that poor people do in fact act as rationally as anyone else.  It's just that given there specific situations the choices they make might not seem optimal in hindsight.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/11/your-brain-on-poverty-why-poor-people-seem-to-make-bad-decisions/281780/
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.