Majority of U.S. public school students are in poverty; first time in 50 years

Started by jimmy olsen, January 19, 2015, 08:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Quote from: Norgy on January 19, 2015, 10:49:16 AM
I thought neo-liberalism and everyone for himself was supposed to cause just good things.  :hmm:

Welfare states apply a couple of half measures that are not even real free market, call them neo-liberalism, and when they fail, as they always do, blame the failure on free market capitalism and move on to enact more big goverment laws.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on January 20, 2015, 12:45:36 PM
Single black mothers are poor and irresponsible, basically by definition? And this supports the notion that poor people are irresponsible?

No, yes.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 20, 2015, 05:12:05 PM
Single black mothers are poor and irresponsible, basically by definition? And this supports the notion that poor people are irresponsible?

No, yes.

:lol:

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 20, 2015, 05:12:05 PM

No, yes.

Yeah, I don't know why Jacob keeps raising some argument that every black female who has an unplanned pregnancy must be poor and irresponsible.  No one is arguing that, except maybe himself by implication.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

And by the way, I saw what you guys did in that Nazi thread.
Not funny.
Making fun of nazi crimes is dismissing the suffering of all their victims.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

derspiess

Quote from: Siege on January 20, 2015, 05:20:29 PM
Not funny.

What if we just made fun of Nazis and left it at that.

I didn't participate in that thread, btw.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: derspiess on January 20, 2015, 05:22:58 PM

And you're the one person on the forum who knows anything about Argentina beyond their fondness for steaks and war criminals.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

There are certainly very few irresponsible rich people in the world and none who also have a good education; that stuff back in 2008 was the Poor's fault, proof being the well off did exceptionally well out of it, so they can't be irresponsible can they?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 20, 2015, 05:30:31 PM

And you're the one person on the forum who knows anything about Argentina beyond their fondness for steaks and war criminals.

After a while you get tired of pointing out the obvious.  My fellow Argentines will have to live out the pain of her final year in office.  One would hope there were some lessons learned and they'll vote in someone other than a FpV candidate this fall, but I'm not so optimistic.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on January 20, 2015, 05:41:34 PM
There are certainly very few irresponsible rich people in the world and none who also have a good education; that stuff back in 2008 was the Poor's fault, proof being the well off did exceptionally well out of it, so they can't be irresponsible can they?

Subtlety in the construction of strawman arguments just isn't possible for you, is it?  :hmm:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

Not funny.

What if we just made fun of Nazis and left it at that.

It was funny as hell. The Anne Frank one was hysterical.

Free speech and all that jazz right.  ;)
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

dps

Not funny.

Nothing should be off limits for jokes.  The only problem with that thread was that the jokes were mostly puns, and bad ones at that.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?