Why are we criminalizing childhood independence?

Started by jimmy olsen, January 15, 2015, 08:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

I've heard about her before. It's very sad but the answer is not to lock kids up in their homes.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 16, 2015, 01:26:08 PM
I've heard about her before. It's very sad but the answer is not to lock kids up in their homes.

Who suggested that is the answer?

Martinus

Yeah. We can't build a society around outliers. That's the same attitude that led to hand luggage restrictions and the need to remove your shoes while going through security checks.

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 16, 2015, 01:28:23 PM

This comes back to the same point as was made earlier in this thread (before it went to bullying). People no longer understand the concept of understandable losses. You can't build your rules to provide everybody with 100% protection.

How many kids like that are there? One in 10,000? One in a million?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

The articles at the beginning of the thread suggest it's the answer society's chosen.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 16, 2015, 01:33:46 PM

The articles at the beginning of the thread suggest it's the answer society's chosen.

And we have all been discussing how that should not be the case.  Berkut took the position that we need to deal with bullying rather than put up with it.  Marti says that is ok to sacrifice kids to toughen them up.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Warspite

Here's a more pragmatic consideration for those of you that think bullying isn't a problem. By ignoring bullies, what are you teaching them about how it is acceptable to conduct oneself as an adult?
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Warspite

Quote from: Martinus on January 16, 2015, 01:23:53 PM
Then grow a pair and stop worrying about cyber bullying?

Seriously, this is heading towards making the world this cushy place where nothing offensive ever gets said by anyone.

Not really.

QuoteParents should stop teaching their children how not to offend, but how not to take offense or care about someone saying something mean or disagreeable.

Pray tell how do you teach someone 'not to take offense'? By turning them into an autist?

By the way, bullying isn't about 'mean or disagreeable' things; it's much more nasty. It's the kind of stuff gays had to put up with before society realised there was a more enlightened way of doing things. Or perhaps people like Turing were just pussies.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Berkut

Seriously, this is heading towards making the world this cushy place where nothing offensive ever gets said by anyone. And then people wonder why we got to a point where a university bans "Vagina Monologues" because it "excludes women without a vagina." Don't you see the connection? We are creating a world of fucking pussies.

Parents should stop teaching their children how not to offend, but how not to take offense or care about someone saying something mean or disagreeable.

Given that we know that in most cases the bully is a victim as well (I believe studies and psychologists have shown that most bullies were bullied themselves, often at home, or have significant social anxiety around their own insecurity and fears of not being accepted), I think it is pretty easy to understand what drives Marty's own behavior.

Parents should teach their children to have empathy and respect for others, and not physically or mentally abuse them in an effort to obtain the social acceptance they fear they cannot achieve on their own.

It is a crazy thought, I know.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

Quote from: Warspite on January 16, 2015, 02:00:36 PM
Here's a more pragmatic consideration for those of you that think bullying isn't a problem. By ignoring bullies, what are you teaching them about how it is acceptable to conduct oneself as an adult?

But the converse is also true. By combating bullies we are teaching their would-be victims about how it is acceptable to conduct oneself as an adult with no fear of reprisal or ostracism. Hence Perez Hilton and Chris Crocker, who clearly were not bullied enough as kids. :P

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 15, 2015, 08:12:44 PM
I didn't realize how bad America was on this until I lived in Korea and traveled around some.

I'm not sure Europe is so different, but it hit me how crazy the difference was when I was in a town in Peru and once school let out the place was packed with grade school age children* who were unsupervised.

*Do to the height of the typical country Peruvian, it is possible they were all adults.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on January 16, 2015, 02:03:11 PM
Quote from: Warspite on January 16, 2015, 02:00:36 PM

But the converse is also true. By combating bullies we are teaching their would-be victims about how it is acceptable to conduct oneself as an adult with no fear of reprisal or ostracism. Hence Perez Hilton and Chris Crocker, who clearly were not bullied enough as kids. :P

Isn't it "Christina"?

Martinus

Quote from: Warspite on January 16, 2015, 02:01:37 PM

Seriously, this is heading towards making the world this cushy place where nothing offensive ever gets said by anyone.

Not really.

QuoteParents should stop teaching their children how not to offend, but how not to take offense or care about someone saying something mean or disagreeable.

Pray tell how do you teach someone 'not to take offense'? By turning them into an autist?

By the way, bullying isn't about 'mean or disagreeable' things; it's much more nasty. It's the kind of stuff gays had to put up with before society realised there was a more enlightened way of doing things. Or perhaps people like Turing were just pussies.

Isn't there a golden medium though? It seems to me we are now pushing in the opposite extreme.