Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on July 03, 2012, 04:02:46 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 03, 2012, 03:32:52 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 28, 2012, 07:23:54 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 24, 2012, 07:03:34 PM
Reading Holland's In the Shadow of the Sword.

It is as good as you anticipated but not at all what you thought it might be....
Can you elaborate?

I thought it would be yet another book giving the history of the rise and expansion of Islam.  What it turned out to be was a well argued refutation of the common starting point that Muhammad actually existed and then turns to explain the rise of Islam in terms of myth making which borrowed heavily form the surrounding social, political and religious context.

I find it particularly interesting because Islam has so much in common with Christianity both in terms in which its myths were constructed and the reasons they were constructed in such a manner.

Interesting. I did not know that the actual existence of Mohammed was in dispute.

Yeah I wonder how well argued the refutation can be then.  After all, their are accounts of several tribes in Arabia with their "would-be" Mohammeds.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Jonathan Fenby's The Penguin History of China (the fall and rise fo a great power, 1850-2009)

Excellent general introduction to the history of modern China from the last Emperors to post Olympics Beijing. Highly recommended.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

It is as good as you anticipated but not at all what you thought it might be....
Can you elaborate?

I thought it would be yet another book giving the history of the rise and expansion of Islam.  What it turned out to be was a well argued refutation of the common starting point that Muhammad actually existed and then turns to explain the rise of Islam in terms of myth making which borrowed heavily form the surrounding social, political and religious context.

I find it particularly interesting because Islam has so much in common with Christianity both in terms in which its myths were constructed and the reasons they were constructed in such a manner.

Interesting. I did not know that the actual existence of Mohammed was in dispute.

Yeah, I didnt either.  But Holland makes a pretty convincing case.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2012, 04:06:49 PM

Can you elaborate?

Yeah I wonder how well argued the refutation can be then.  After all, their are accounts of several tribes in Arabia with their "would-be" Mohammeds.

He makes reference to an account which had someone who could be a Mohammed type character but he goes on to explain that all the biographical material was written 200 yrs plus after his supposed life.  Nothing is written contemporaneously.

Ideologue

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 03, 2012, 04:29:10 PM

Can you elaborate?

Yeah, I didnt either.  But Holland makes a pretty convincing case.

So is the book banned in half of Europe yet?

Actually, that sounds pretty cool.  I may have to check this out, dude.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 03, 2012, 04:31:51 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2012, 04:06:49 PM

Can you elaborate?

He makes reference to an account which had someone who could be a Mohammed type character but he goes on to explain that all the biographical material was written 200 yrs plus after his supposed life.  Nothing is written contemporaneously.
The Arabs were overrunning Byzantium's middle eastern territories ten years after Muhammad's death. How can there not be written evidence one way or the other that absolutely proves or disproves his existence? And if there is evidence that disproves it, how come none of Islam's enemies ever used it?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Ask Ed. He feels a special kinship with Mohamed.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Brain on July 04, 2012, 09:14:58 AM

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT ISLAM
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 04, 2012, 09:16:13 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 04, 2012, 09:14:58 AM

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT ISLAM

No, the other one.

crazy canuck

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 04, 2012, 02:51:00 AM
The Arabs were overrunning Byzantium's middle eastern territories ten years after Muhammad's death. How can there not be no contemporary writings regarding him?written evidence one way or the other that absolutely proves or disproves his existence? And if there is evidence that disproves it, how come none of Islam's enemies ever used it?

Your first sentence almost got the point.  I will fix your first sentence to more closely approximate part of Holland's argument.

As to your second sentence it misses the point completely.  How can an enemy disprove the existence of Muhammad if he doesnt come into full existence for another 200 years?

Another interesting observation Holland makes is that some Muslim scholars are now questioning whether any of the sayings of the Prophet are genuine and many Muslim scholars quibble about which are geniune are which are not.  Holland doesnt say this but my observation is that Islam is now (and perhaps has always been) going through a process similar what Christianity when through when Christian scholars and theologians were trying to determine which texts were orthodox or heresies and the true nature of God, the son and the Holy ghost.  The difference is that Islam has never had something akin to the Catholic Church with the power to stamp out what it considered heresy  - although we can see efforts of the Wahibists trying to do that.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 04, 2012, 09:34:00 AMThe difference is that Islam has never had something akin to the Catholic Church with the power to stamp out what it considered heresy  - although we can see efforts of the Wahibists trying to do that.

Tell that to Mr. Rashdie.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on July 04, 2012, 10:55:07 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 04, 2012, 09:34:00 AMThe difference is that Islam has never had something akin to the Catholic Church with the power to stamp out what it considered heresy  - although we can see efforts of the Wahibists trying to do that.

Tell that to Mr. Rashdie.

The fact that he is still around and writing tells me I dont have much to tell him....

The Brain

PSA: If you didn't get Aliens Colonial Marines: Technical Manual in the 90s be advised that the artwork is pretty crappy.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 04, 2012, 09:34:00 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 04, 2012, 02:51:00 AM
The Arabs were overrunning Byzantium's middle eastern territories ten years after Muhammad's death. How can there not be no contemporary writings regarding him?written evidence one way or the other that absolutely proves or disproves his existence? And if there is evidence that disproves it, how come none of Islam's enemies ever used it?

Your first sentence almost got the point.  I will fix your first sentence to more closely approximate part of Holland's argument.

As to your second sentence it misses the point completely.  How can an enemy disprove the existence of Muhammad if he doesnt come into full existence for another 200 years?

The Arabs were recently united were they not? If not under Muhammad, then who? Surely the Byzantines must have mentioned him. The Arabs were Muslims were they not, or is the author arguing that Islam had not yet truly developed? Surely the Byzantines must have written about the heretical/heathen faith of their enemy. What they believed, who founded the heresy, etc. You're saying that the Byzantines and the Persians wrote nothing about the rulers, military leaders or religion of their enemies?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on July 04, 2012, 12:38:21 AM
Actually, that sounds pretty cool.  I may have to check this out, dude.

I don't know, without having touched it - it sounds a bit more like fancy premise that serves to distract from actual history.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.