Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 06, 2012, 08:01:50 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 04, 2012, 09:34:00 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 04, 2012, 02:51:00 AM
The Arabs were overrunning Byzantium's middle eastern territories ten years after Muhammad's death. How can there not be no contemporary writings regarding him?written evidence one way or the other that absolutely proves or disproves his existence? And if there is evidence that disproves it, how come none of Islam's enemies ever used it?

Your first sentence almost got the point.  I will fix your first sentence to more closely approximate part of Holland's argument.

As to your second sentence it misses the point completely.  How can an enemy disprove the existence of Muhammad if he doesnt come into full existence for another 200 years?

The Arabs were recently united were they not? If not under Muhammad, then who? Surely the Byzantines must have mentioned him. The Arabs were Muslims were they not, or is the author arguing that Islam had not yet truly developed? Surely the Byzantines must have written about the heretical/heathen faith of their enemy. What they believed, who founded the heresy, etc. You're saying that the Byzantines and the Persians wrote nothing about the rulers, military leaders or religion of their enemies?

Well from here, most of the Arabs were not united by the death of Muhammad.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5b/Muslim_Conquest.PNG
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

This article suggest Syriacs writing about him in 637.

http://syrcom.cua.edu/hugoye/Vol12No2/HV12N2Penn.pdf

Oh and Tim from what I've found questioning his existence isn't something new. Appears to have been a vogue notion in the 19th century?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on July 06, 2012, 08:26:54 AM
The Arabs were overrunning Byzantium's middle eastern territories ten years after Muhammad's death. How can there not be no contemporary writings regarding him?written evidence one way or the other that absolutely proves or disproves his existence? And if there is evidence that disproves it, how come none of Islam's enemies ever used it?

Your first sentence almost got the point.  I will fix your first sentence to more closely approximate part of Holland's argument.

As to your second sentence it misses the point completely.  How can an enemy disprove the existence of Muhammad if he doesnt come into full existence for another 200 years?

The Arabs were recently united were they not? If not under Muhammad, then who? Surely the Byzantines must have mentioned him. The Arabs were Muslims were they not, or is the author arguing that Islam had not yet truly developed? Surely the Byzantines must have written about the heretical/heathen faith of their enemy. What they believed, who founded the heresy, etc. You're saying that the Byzantines and the Persians wrote nothing about the rulers, military leaders or religion of their enemies?

Well from here, most of the Arabs were not united by the death of Muhammad.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5b/Muslim_Conquest.PNG

Awww.  Did you draw that yourself?  I'm trying to figure out how this proves your point though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Still reading Zamulin's,  Demolishing the Myth: The Tank Battle at Prokhorovka.. I'm around a 1/3 of the way through and only on the events of 8-9 July. It is the only book/account (on Kursk) that has given a description of 5th Guards Army and 5th Guards Tank Army's approach march to the Prokhorovka area. Fascinatingly detailed with transcriptions of the actual orders and daily reports. Zamulin is very critical of some of Vatutin's and Rotmistrov's actions. I haven't gotten to the part dealing with old JS's formal inquiry into Rotmistrov's losses at Prokhorovka. Apparently "Rots" damn near got executed for his handling of that battle. 

If you were to combine this book with Nipe's Blood, Steel, and Myth you pretty much have a solid, detailed, and well researched account of the southern axis from both sides. In the end these two books are limited in scope.

For a much broader account, covering the 9th Army offensive, Operation Kutuzov Operation Polkovodets Rumyantsev, and the fascinating battles around Bogodukhov, read Glantz's book.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

Greeks are lazy.  What can be done?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Kleves

Another interesting observation Holland makes is that some Muslim scholars are now questioning whether any of the sayings of the Prophet are genuine and many Muslim scholars quibble about which are geniune are which are not. 
They've been doing that for a thousand years.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Kleves on July 08, 2012, 09:27:21 AM
Another interesting observation Holland makes is that some Muslim scholars are now questioning whether any of the sayings of the Prophet are genuine and many Muslim scholars quibble about which are geniune are which are not. 
They've been doing that for a thousand years.

Haven't most major religions?

You guys read some incredibly dry shit.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 08, 2012, 10:15:15 AM
You guys read some incredibly dry shit.

Then again, I can't really talk;  been plowing through this one myself:

http://www.usni.org/store/books/chinese-navy/red-star-over-pacific

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on July 06, 2012, 12:51:30 PM
Awww.  Did you draw that yourself?  I'm trying to figure out how this proves your point though.

:huh:

Kid, you're just back - maybe you should stay a way from wild and odd attacks?

Anyway it was an aside in response to Tim's comment about the Arabs being united by Muhammad.

jimmy olsen

Can anyone recommend a good book on Genghis Khan?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 13, 2012, 08:18:08 AM
Can anyone recommend a good book on Genghis Khan?

This is one case in which going to the original source is best even for the casual hobby historian - see if you can find a good translation of the Secret History of the Mongols. This one is said to be readable.

http://www.amazon.com/Secret-History-Mongols-Origin-Chingis/dp/0887272991/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1342185879&sr=8-8&keywords=%22secret+history+of+the+mongols%22

Great horse opera.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

I'm up to Book of 9 of Jordan's Wheel of Time.

You guys probably all hate it but I don't care, you are all snobs.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

I don't hate it.

Though I've never actually even heard of it... :lol:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011