News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Threviel on June 17, 2012, 12:42:55 PM
Just finished reading The Somme by Peter Hart. Fuck WW1 was a disgusting clusterfuck. Good book, but a little one-sided with very little about what the Germans were doing.

So, anyne have any tip about a book from the german perspective on the western front?

Not sure if there's that many specialized German view accounts of the battle.

These seem interesting:

Through German Eyes: The British and the Somme 1916
The German Army on the Somme 1914-1916

From a German perspective, Verdun would be the equivalent trauma of what the Somme 1916 was for the British.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Threviel

Quote from: Syt on June 18, 2012, 12:50:10 AM
Quote from: Threviel on June 17, 2012, 12:42:55 PM
Just finished reading The Somme by Peter Hart. Fuck WW1 was a disgusting clusterfuck. Good book, but a little one-sided with very little about what the Germans were doing.

So, anyne have any tip about a book from the german perspective on the western front?

Not sure if there's that many specialized German view accounts of the battle.

These seem interesting:

Through German Eyes: The British and the Somme 1916
The German Army on the Somme 1914-1916

From a German perspective, Verdun would be the equivalent trauma of what the Somme 1916 was for the British.

I'm more looking for books about the whole war in the west from the german perspective. Or French for that matter. Those two books look interesting though.

Valdemar

Quote from: Barrister on June 17, 2012, 04:00:54 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 14, 2012, 01:35:40 PM

For a kid who isn't potty trained, my kid every nights asks for "Potty Book" at story time.

:unsure:

You potty train using a book? What to you do, smack his behind with it when he fails you? :D

Seriously, best potty training is to take of the diaper during summer period, and be prepared to use the washing machine more often for a little while :)

V

Habbaku

Now reading Simon Schama's Citizens.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ideologue

PRC: that was a cool article a few pages back.

Mihali: did you ever finish The Map and the Territory?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

Reading Holland's In the Shadow of the Sword.

It is as good as you anticipated but not at all what you thought it might be....

Admiral Yi

Reading Victor Klemperer's "I Will Bear Witness," memoirs of living as a Jew in Nazi Germany.

Gotta say it's a bit of a snoozer so far.

January 13:  Ate potatoes, stayed inside, read a book.

January 16: Ate potatoes, stayed inside, read a different book.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Finnaly started digging into Zamulin's , Demolishing the Myth: The Tank Battle at Prokhorovka. Pro-Russian for sure, but not in the Propaganda or Fanboi way. Far more detailed on the Russian side than even Glantz's book. The guy sure did his research in the russian archives.  Dont know yet what I think of it. He does refute a Glantz theory and has interesting stuff on Rotmistrov (not highly regarded in JS's circle after Kursk).

Anyhoo awaiting; ZHITOMIR-BERDICHEV: German Operations West of Kiev 24 December 1943-31 January 1944 Volume 1 [Hardcover]. To come out   :yes: :yes:

and

DAYS OF BATTLE: Armoured Operations North of the River Danube, Hungary 1944-45 [Hardcover]

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

Read A History of Medieval Heresy and Inquisition by Jennifer Kolpacoff Deane. A very nice introduction to the subject.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Just ordered Glantz's two vol set BARBAROSSA DERAILED: THE BATTLE FOR SMOLENSK 10 JULY-10 SEPTEMBER 1941 . 1000 pages of east front fun.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 24, 2012, 07:03:34 PM

It is as good as you anticipated but not at all what you thought it might be....
Can you elaborate?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: Valdemar on June 18, 2012, 04:40:16 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 17, 2012, 04:00:54 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 14, 2012, 01:35:40 PM

For a kid who isn't potty trained, my kid every nights asks for "Potty Book" at story time.

:unsure:

You potty train using a book? What to you do, smack his behind with it when he fails you? :D

Seriously, best potty training is to take of the diaper during summer period, and be prepared to use the washing machine more often for a little while :)

V

No, we just bought him a book (about a little boy named Henry who learns to use the potty) to get him used to the idea.  But he really likes it, and asks to be read it almost every night. :mellow:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 28, 2012, 07:23:54 AM

Can you elaborate?

I thought it would be yet another book giving the history of the rise and expansion of Islam.  What it turned out to be was a well argued refutation of the common starting point that Muhammad actually existed and then turns to explain the rise of Islam in terms of myth making which borrowed heavily form the surrounding social, political and religious context.

I find it particularly interesting because Islam has so much in common with Christianity both in terms in which its myths were constructed and the reasons they were constructed in such a manner.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 03, 2012, 03:32:52 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 28, 2012, 07:23:54 AM

Can you elaborate?

I thought it would be yet another book giving the history of the rise and expansion of Islam.  What it turned out to be was a well argued refutation of the common starting point that Muhammad actually existed and then turns to explain the rise of Islam in terms of myth making which borrowed heavily form the surrounding social, political and religious context.

I find it particularly interesting because Islam has so much in common with Christianity both in terms in which its myths were constructed and the reasons they were constructed in such a manner.

Interesting. I did not know that the actual existence of Mohammed was in dispute.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius