And we're back!

Main Menu

May 2015 UK General Election Campaign.

Started by mongers, January 09, 2015, 03:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 24, 2015, 07:37:47 AM
Quote from: Zanza on March 24, 2015, 04:37:32 AM
How did you think decision making processes in parties/coalitions in parliamentarian systems work?  :huh:

I figured the cabinet thrashed things out then the backbenchers fell in line.

That's how it works most of the time, though it varies at different time, in different parties and over different issues.

Most Tory splits over the past couple of decades have been over the EU and Cameron has had to tread a tightrope to keep his job. For example, he almost certainly would not be promising a referendum if he didn't have to appease the Eurosceptic wing of the party.  He also lost a vote (having called an emergency session of Parliament) on intervention against Syria with more than 30 Tory MPs voting against and just as many abstaining.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 24, 2015, 03:12:54 AM
Referenda, second declension, neutral plural of referendum, so no referendae, since it would be first declension.

Oddly enough spellcheck didn't like referenda but liked referendums.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 30, 2015, 06:02:04 PM
It begins :bleeding: :weep:

Yes. :bleeding:

First we have the attacks on each other's economic competence...even if it doesn't show up as the number 1 concern of voters in polls I'm still surprised that a party bleeding voters to UKIP in some of its traditional heartlands has nailed its colours to the mast so dramatically. Surely that wasn't the only thing Labour's strategists could come up with to attack the Tories with?

On the other hand, the Tories were just as bad - if the voters have already forgiven Labour for pissing money up the wall for ten years under Blair and Brown they're hardly likely to be swayed now by claims that a new Labour government would do the same. :bleeding:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

I heard on TV that the Conservatives want to hold a referendum on withdrawing from the EU if they win the election?  :blink:

garbon

To be honest, I don't know what to make of this story. I can't help but think that here is a man who made terribly poor choices in his past and now he should be elected into office? :blush:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/patrickstrudwick/meet-britains-first-hiv-positive-parliamentary-candidate#.mpdE61qnp
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PJL

Quote from: garbon on March 31, 2015, 04:29:23 AM
To be honest, I don't know what to make of this story. I can't help but think that here is a man who made terribly poor choices in his past and now he should be elected into office? :blush:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/patrickstrudwick/meet-britains-first-hiv-positive-parliamentary-candidate#.mpdE61qnp

I think his biggest mistake in life was not so much becoming HIV positive as being a LibDem candidate in this election.  :D

garbon

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on March 31, 2015, 04:29:23 AM

Who amongst us hasn't accidentally joined the Lib Dems?
Let's bomb Russia!

Warspite

I dabbled in the Lib Dems when I was younger, and they turned out to be a gateway into other, more serious political parties.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Warspite on March 31, 2015, 06:16:24 AM
I dabbled in the Lib Dems when I was younger, and they turned out to be a gateway into other, more serious political parties.

Yeah I experimented with the LSDs, but later found less harmful mind altering politics.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Gups

Latest UKIP candidate gaff is a bona fide classic of the genre

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/01/kidnap-obama-ukip-candidate-jeremy-zeid-replaced-after-outburst

Jeremy Zeid, a Ukip candidate in Britain's 2015 election, has been replaced after writing on Facebook that Israel should "kidnap" Barack Obama.

The post by Zeid was a response to the declassifying of US federal government documents on Israel's secret nuclear programme and was written last week as he prepared to run for a seat in the election on 7 May.

"Once Obama is out of office the Israelis should move to extradite the bastard or 'do an Eichmann' on him and lock him up for leaking state secrets," Zeid wrote in the Facebook post, according to a screenshot.

"Just kidnap the bugger, like they did to Eichmann," he added in a comment, referring to the Nazi war criminal Adolf Eichmann, who was captured in Argentina in 1960 and put on trial in Israel.

Gups

Quote from: Valmy on March 31, 2015, 07:41:59 AM
:cry: Leave the LibDems alone!

I'm probably going to vote for them, if that's any consolation.