News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

May 2015 UK General Election Campaign.

Started by mongers, January 09, 2015, 03:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Tamas

In Hungary it is a rare event wheat an MP doesn't vote what he is told to by party leadership

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tamas on March 23, 2015, 07:50:14 PM
In Hungary it is a rare event wheat an MP doesn't vote what he is told to by party leadership

Or he gets beeten.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Somewhere Teddy Roosevelt is screaming in horror.

Will Cameron be heading the Bull Moose Party in 2025?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

It is rather odd, we have a generation of career politicians yet they don't seem to be terribly good at politics  :hmm:

Gups

I'm absolutely flabbergasted. He didn't seem to be drunk or high. I'm struggling to think of a worse pre-election blunder by a leader. After Osborne carefully shot all of Labour's foxes, Cameron opens up the hen house.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2015, 01:55:03 PM
I propose that the only acceptable post-election conditions should be the holding of referenda.

Referendae?  Referendums?  OK.

Referenda, second declension, neutral plural of referendum, so no referendae, since it would be first declension.

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 23, 2015, 06:06:47 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 23, 2015, 05:33:57 PM
Of course he does :blink:

I was unaware of that.
How did you think decision making processes in parties/coalitions in parliamentarian systems work?  :huh:

celedhring

To be honest in Spain party discipline is almost never broken, and unless there's some very weak leadership it will also always back the president's political initiative.

Would probably be different if we used single member districts. Now you're voting a party and not a given MP candidate, and thus the legitimacy resides in the party and not the individual MPs.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Zanza on March 23, 2015, 04:34:41 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 23, 2015, 04:33:51 PM
I don't see how the concept of a lame duck applies in a parliamentary system.
The American president also has his full formal powers all the way to 19th January. How is it different?
GWB got a lot of stuff done in the last two years and the opposition controlled the congress! Cameron will control Parliament, why should he have a problem?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 23, 2015, 05:28:54 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 23, 2015, 05:18:32 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 23, 2015, 04:56:32 PM
I don't quite get the distinction your making here or how it relates to lame duckness.

A lame duck is considered lame because he is unable to make any long term promises, and therefore has ability to move his agenda forward.  That is different than another person vying for his position, which is what you seem to be talking about.

What long term promises (or even short term promises) do you think a PM who has announced their resignation can make?
Five years is a hell of a long time in politics.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Gups

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 24, 2015, 05:20:47 AM
Quote from: Zanza on March 23, 2015, 04:34:41 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 23, 2015, 04:33:51 PM
I don't see how the concept of a lame duck applies in a parliamentary system.
The American president also has his full formal powers all the way to 19th January. How is it different?
GWB got a lot of stuff done in the last two years and the opposition controlled the congress! Cameron will control Parliament, why should he have a problem?

The President has specific powers under the constitution, the Prime Minister has very few, beyond patronage and leadership of his party. That doesn't mean he won't get anything done, but his authority will diminish and the party risks splitting amongst the main leadership candidates.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on March 24, 2015, 04:37:32 AM
How did you think decision making processes in parties/coalitions in parliamentarian systems work?  :huh:

I figured the cabinet thrashed things out then the backbenchers fell in line.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 24, 2015, 05:20:47 AM

GWB was not a Prime Minister.

But so long as we are talking about US Presidents Teddy Roosevelt announcing he would not seek a third term in 1904 cursed his entire second term, and the rest of his life actually. Unless there is some kind of formal term limits making an announcement like this is just stupid.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."