News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

So the only French comedian I've heard about has been arrested for saying: "Je suis Charlie Coulibaly." Dieudonne seems immediately like a douchebag, but arresting him for that comment might give the freedom of speech haters a reason to call France for hypocrites. :hmm:

EDIT: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/12/french-comedian-dieudonne-charlie-coulibaly-prosecutor
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

Well, that's Vall and Hollande for you, they hold a grudge against this comedian with a history of antisemitic trolling, best ignored as under Sarkozy, (quenelle is not a big issue IMO), so they exploit the situation for political purposes. This most unpopular government has a justice minister who tried to ban a book because it spoke in detail about the intra-african and oriental (turco-arab) slave trade. So yes, this government is no friend of freedom of expression, but they only represent themselves, until the next election.

Besides, they only opened an investigation, Dieudonné has not been arrested yet, Dieudonné has been sued a lot of the times and at worst got fines, mostly for tax reasons (tax dodging).

edit: checking from French sources they really placed Dieudonné in custody. It's nice to see where this government's priorities are  :rolleyes:

Martinus

This is in fact an irony - the US is probably the country with the broadest freedom of speech (although I am not sure what the situation is now with various anti-terrorism and anti-bullying laws), and yet noone attended the march - whereas pretty much every leader marching there came from a country where you can get jailed for saying certain things. And it's not just Saudi Arabia or Turkey (which both sent a high ranking official) but Poland (where you can get jailed for "offending religious sensibilities" aka "blasphemy").

Razgovory

We are also on the other side of the world.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on January 14, 2015, 07:18:36 AM
We are also on the other side of the world.

I didn't mean it as a blame, more like a genuine irony.

CountDeMoney

It's ironic we're on the other side of the world.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

:lol:

The latest issue of Charlie Hebdo had people lining up for it and was completely sold out.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on January 14, 2015, 09:46:33 AM

The latest issue of Charlie Hebdo had people lining up for it and was completely sold out.

Shareholders and creditors of failing magazines everywhere are taking note ...  :hmm:   :P

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on January 14, 2015, 09:46:33 AM

It usually has a 60k run, apparently they printed 5 millions this week. I'd buy one.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Buzzfeed had that 700k sold out today and that they are planning print run of 5 mil (originally had been 3 mil for this issue)

Monoriu

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 14, 2015, 09:58:13 AM
Do they have an English language version?

Yes, it's out in English and something like 8 other languages too. I don't know if it'll be distributed in America, but you can buy it on ebay!
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk