News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: 11B4V on January 12, 2015, 07:41:37 PM
So, there was no prior incidents against CH for their garbage?

Plenty of prior incidents.  Plenty of convenience store robberies.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 12, 2015, 07:45:16 PM

You have not answered how the convenience store is inflammatory. You continue to dodge.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

I disagree that these guys are culpable for the shooting in any legal or morale way.  I will accept that offensive behavior has some consequences though I think it can only be limited to "protest behavior",  such as the aforementioned defecation in a postal repository.  I had suggested a punch in the nose, but I retract that.  I think should only be acceptable when some jerk gets in your face and starts insulting you.  For instance if someone were to come up to garbon, calling him a fag and making monkey sounds, I think the law could look the other way if he garbon kicked this guys ass.  If this guy just published a magazine that was racist and homophobic I don't think garbon could go over and kick the editors ass.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on January 12, 2015, 07:51:07 PM
I disagree that these guys are culpable for the shooting in any legal or morale way.  I will accept that offensive behavior has some consequences though I think it can only be limited to "protest behavior",  such as the aforementioned defecation in a postal repository.  I had suggested a punch in the nose, but I retract that.  I think should only be acceptable when some jerk gets in your face and starts insulting you.  For instance if someone were to come up to garbon, calling him a fag and making monkey sounds, I think the law could look the other way if he garbon kicked this guys ass.  If this guy just published a magazine that was racist and homophobic I don't think garbon could go over and kick the editors ass.

Of course he should not. He could and my money would be on him.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Liep

Quote from: 11B4V on January 12, 2015, 07:49:56 PM

You have not answered how the convenience store is inflammatory. You continue to dodge.

Keeping cash stored "inflames" robbers.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

11B4V

Quote from: Liep on January 12, 2015, 07:55:22 PM

:rolleyes:

Admiral Yi

No I don't.  This is the first time you've asked.

The convenience store is not inflammatory.  It is a high risk target for armed robbers.  If you operate a convenience store, robbers will find it tempting.  Perhaps you will die.  Perhaps a cop will die performing his duty.  That doesn't make the store owner culpable for those deaths. 

Liep

Quote from: 11B4V on January 12, 2015, 07:55:57 PM
Quote from: Liep on January 12, 2015, 07:55:22 PM

:rolleyes:

Yes, that was basically my response to your avatar. :p
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

I don't think garbon should go around beating up retarded people.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 12, 2015, 07:58:38 PM
I don't think garbon should go around beating up retarded people.

Oh, I don't know.  I think he might enjoy it.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 12, 2015, 07:57:21 PM

No I don't.  This is the first time you've asked.

Christ almighty Yi Post #1260 :rolleyes:

QuoteThe convenience store is not inflammatory. 

Of course it's not, hence you're attempt to tie it in to CH is stupid.

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on January 12, 2015, 07:25:27 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 12, 2015, 05:00:24 PM

If you can't accept that there is a link between what was published and the attack then I am not sure what can be done to remove that logical block.

Of course  there's a link. But even if it was a stupid decision to publish the cartoons in light of the known risk, that doesn't make CH morally culpable for the murders, and it certainly shouldn't make the magazine liable to other victims of the attacks for civil damages.

I agree.  And that is a very good counter argument to the claim made by B4.  My simple point was ignoring the link, whether one admires the decision to publish or not is a bit daft.  Indeed asserting there is no link devalues the heroic quality of the act because if they were not aware of the danger they were putting themselves in by publishing then there can be no heroism. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: 11B4V on January 12, 2015, 08:02:03 PM
Christ almighty Yi Post #1260 :rolleyes:

Woops.  My bad.

QuoteOf course it's not, hence you're attempt to tie it in to CH is stupid.

Maybe not much point in continuing if you're not even going to respond to my posts.

Razgovory

Hey, this thread got stupid and this time it wasn't my fault! :)