Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 12, 2015, 04:55:45 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 12, 2015, 04:24:22 PM
As if France has not suffered enough
QuoteSecretary of State John Kerry will travel to France after the White House was criticised for not sending a senior official to the Paris unity rally.

:lol:

He is the Secretary of State, and speaks fluent French.  Why would France be suffering, cum guzzler?

Fox is besides themselves over this.  :lmfao:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on January 12, 2015, 04:53:25 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 12, 2015, 04:50:18 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 12, 2015, 04:48:02 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 12, 2015, 04:41:58 PM
  Because as we know they were murdered because of what they did. 

Case closed.

Exactly.  If they hadn't published those cartoons they would not have been murdered.  Even someone with an irradiated brain can figure that one out.  If you ignore that fact then all the demonstrations celebrating their right to publish what they did in the face of the danger they could be killed becomes meaningless.

I see clearly that they were murdered because they made harmless cartoons and not because insane Muslims are extremely and unacceptably criminally violent.

If you can't accept that there is a link between what was published and the attack then I am not sure what can be done to remove that logical block.

11B4V

Bob Beckel given "The Five" the business. Bless you Bob.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Martinus

I can clearly see the point the Brain is making.

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on January 12, 2015, 05:08:43 PM

Of course you can. You have a double standard.  :P

Martinus

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jan/11/al-jazeera-leak-charlie-hebdo-emails

So, to the "moderate Muslims" at Al Jazeera this is just a clash of two extremisms, one with guns and one with pens...

#theyjustdontgetit

crazy canuck

Yes, we can all see it.  But it has the same problem as the point you were making.  It ignores the reality that the editors and the French government knew there was a risk in publishing the cartoons.  They tried to address that risk because they understood the link.  But for some reason, based on an ill conceived comparison with rape, you and Brain want to pretend there is no link.

mongers

Quote from: Martinus on January 12, 2015, 05:19:48 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jan/11/al-jazeera-leak-charlie-hebdo-emails

So, to the "moderate Muslims" at Al Jazeera this is just a clash of two extremisms, one with guns and one with pens...

#theyjustdontgetit

Marty there are plenty of non-muslims working at AJ.

I also expect some fall out from this with possible resignation, because that position isn't reconcilable with the support for their own imprisoned journalists.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on January 12, 2015, 05:19:48 PM

#theyjustdontgetit
:)
Quote"Defending freedom of expression in the face of oppression is one thing; insisting on the right to be obnoxious and offensive just because you can is infantile. Baiting extremists isn't bravely defiant when your manner of doing so is more significant in offending millions of moderate people as well. And within a climate where violent response – however illegitimate – is a real risk, taking a goading stand on a principle virtually no one contests is worse than pointless: it's pointlessly all about you."

Martinus

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on January 12, 2015, 05:27:26 PM
New issue is out.

Mohammed on the cover. :lol:

Can you translate. Other than the known slogan.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on January 12, 2015, 05:08:09 PM

Missed that.  What happened?

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 12, 2015, 05:20:53 PM

Yes, we can all see it.  But it has the same problem as the point you were making.  It ignores the reality that the editors and the French government knew there was a risk in publishing the cartoons.  They tried to address that risk because they understood the link.  But for some reason, based on an ill conceived comparison with rape, you and Brain want to pretend there is no link.

Maybe a better analogy is with teaching children how to cross the road, with the issue being nowadays there are more and more fanatical muslims driving around at breakneck speed. We can build ring roads and 6 lane highways to 'contain' them, but children still face a challenge crossing the road even though they're not just 'recklessly' running across the roads. 

Maybe best to shepard kids around in family cars or just limit their outdoor city trips to the nearby park.

Of course there was a time before the islamist motor cars, but then the threat to children was from christian driven hackney cabs and in those days there was very little 'enlightenment' on the highways.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Martinus

Over his head "All is Forgiven" and he is obviously holding the iconic "I am Charlie" sign. It has several different interpretations, depending on who is forgiving whom I guess.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 12, 2015, 05:29:26 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 12, 2015, 05:08:09 PM

Missed that.  What happened?
Basic gist.
Bob was getting ganged up on by the other four as usual. He started drilling them on US military strikes on ISIS and how the CH Head of State Marchers have done nothing.