News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: 11B4V on January 12, 2015, 06:26:34 PM
My avatar for over 24 hours before anyone said anything.

:secret: That's because most people don't really pay attention to avatars.

Ed Anger

Quote from: DGuller on January 12, 2015, 06:27:50 PM
I think the real tragedy in all of this is this clusterfuck of a thread.

It has turned into the Hougoumont of threads.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

That's a glass half empty attitude.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: DGuller on January 12, 2015, 06:28:59 PM

See, this I find strange. I look at and read the captions if I notice (usually do) a change by someone.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 12, 2015, 05:41:39 PM
Quote"Defending freedom of expression in the face of oppression is one thing; insisting on the right to be obnoxious and offensive just because you can is infantile. Baiting extremists isn't bravely defiant when your manner of doing so is more significant in offending millions of moderate people as well. And within a climate where violent response – however illegitimate – is a real risk, taking a goading stand on a principle virtually no one contests is worse than pointless: it's pointlessly all about you."

That is not an unreasonable statement, or even a false statement.  In fact, it's not too far in principle from what Oliver Wendell Holmes would've said.

The unreasonable part is that the offensive cartoons were all about the artists.  Of course it was about the artists; all art is about the artists.

The false part is that virtually no one contests the right to publish offensive material.  When Jylland Post published the Mohammed cartoons quite a few people contested it quite vigorously.

But it does demonstrate, at least to me, an attempt to grapple with conflicting ideas.  (As opposed to the other sound byte quoted in the link, which is a pure and simple attempt at moral equivalence.)  This internal debate in the Muslim community on how to think about satire of Islam could end up being the great upside of this attack.

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on January 12, 2015, 06:29:33 PM

That's a glass half empty attitude.

Very Russian of him.

Jacob

It is who we are.

Liep

Quote from: 11B4V on January 12, 2015, 06:31:51 PM

See, this I find strange. I look at and read the captions if I notice (usually do) a change by someone.

I saw it, but I also saw the trolling and stayed clear.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ed Anger

CBS actually showed the new cover on the Evening news.

I think I suffered a mild heart attack.

Ed Anger

Now we have right wing germans on the news. HITLER BONER

11B4V

Quote from: Liep on January 12, 2015, 06:38:52 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 12, 2015, 06:31:51 PM

I saw it, but I also saw the trolling and stayed clear.

No intent of trolling on what my basic position is.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: 11B4V on January 12, 2015, 06:40:52 PM

You could put the same caption on the picture of a dead convenience store owner.  After all, everyone knows that if you open a convenience store it has a chance of being robbed.  And maybe a cop will killed during the robbery.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 12, 2015, 06:43:35 PM

You could put the same caption on the picture of a dead convenience store owner.  After all, everyone knows that if you open a convenience store it has a chance of being robbed.  And maybe a cop will killed during the robbery.

Why would I do that. The convenience store has a right to sell slurpees and two day old hotdogs. They shouldnt be shot for it. :huh:

Liep

Quote from: 11B4V on January 12, 2015, 06:46:32 PM

Why would I do that. The convenience store has a right to sell slurpees and two day old hotdogs. They shouldnt be shot for it. :huh:

And you should be shot for drawing cartoons? Nope, I'm staying clear.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

11B4V

Quote from: Liep on January 12, 2015, 06:47:21 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 12, 2015, 06:46:32 PM

And you should be shot for drawing cartoons? Nope, I'm staying clear.

Of course not, who said that?