And we're back!

Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on January 09, 2015, 05:40:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 09, 2015, 05:25:00 PM
I don't know why this shit surprises me.  Saw it on the Egypt thing, see it now.

Yeah Seigy and Duque duelling over language was even odder in that one, than this.

That's where Dguller first called me "defender of the faith".  If it means that I don't agree with

Quote from: DGuller on August 17, 2013, 05:05:24 AM
The year 2013 must be one of the best years for Uncle Vlad.  He must be going "I told you so" every time he turns on the news.  Suddenly his policy of supporting indiscriminate slaughter of Islamist protesters doesn't seem so repulsive.

Then I'll gladly take that title.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on January 09, 2015, 05:12:19 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 09, 2015, 04:05:55 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 09, 2015, 04:02:01 PM
Well clearly.  The idea of defending a group of people who are labeled as "scum", is unconvincing to the people who hate them.

Whatever dude.  You love attacking those people in your own backyard but are a noble champion to them thousands of miles away whatever good that does.

Nobody lives in my backyard. :huh:

Well it might provide a welcome change from the basement when the weather gets warmer -_-

But I wasn't being literal there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on January 09, 2015, 05:58:48 PM

Well it might provide a welcome change from the basement when the weather gets warmer -_-

But I wasn't being literal there.

Please tell me which local ethnic group I was calling scum wanted destroyed.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on January 09, 2015, 05:57:46 PM

Not until you start standing up for the little guy in America.  It is easy to support the unwashed masses when you do not have to smell them yourself!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Legbiter

At least there are some recent job openings at Charlie Hebdo if anyone here on Languish can draw.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

11B4V

Raz has always been one for the popular liberal trends. Never for the little guy.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on January 09, 2015, 05:57:46 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 09, 2015, 05:40:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 09, 2015, 05:25:00 PM
I don't know why this shit surprises me.  Saw it on the Egypt thing, see it now.

Yeah Seigy and Duque duelling over language was even odder in that one, than this.

That's where Dguller first called me "defender of the faith".  If it means that I don't agree with

Quote from: DGuller on August 17, 2013, 05:05:24 AM
The year 2013 must be one of the best years for Uncle Vlad.  He must be going "I told you so" every time he turns on the news.  Suddenly his policy of supporting indiscriminate slaughter of Islamist protesters doesn't seem so repulsive.

You had to go back more than a year to find a quote that could be taken out of context?

Jacob

Quote from: 11B4V on January 09, 2015, 06:02:02 PM
Raz has always been one for the popular liberal trends. Never for the little guy.

Who do you guys consider to be the little guy?

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on January 09, 2015, 06:09:01 PM

Danny DeVito?

11B4V

Quote from: Jacob on January 09, 2015, 06:09:01 PM

Seedy, Katmai, and that other drunk.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Quote from: Legbiter on January 09, 2015, 06:00:28 PM
At least there are some recent job openings at Charlie Hebdo if anyone here on Languish can draw.

Dinosaur Comics guy might get paid now.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on January 09, 2015, 05:55:24 PM
I just saw some figures on the newspaper.  This magazine prints about 60,000 copies in each issue.  Each one sells for 3 Euro.  There are about 40 staff.  Of course, the major source of income is going to be advertisements.  But the sales figures still seem tiny to me, and I find it hard to believe that the entire operation is commercially viable.

I heard the normal print run is 16,000, not 60,000.

My guess is a lot of advertising for their online edition.

Jacob

Duque de Bragança

I just saw some figures on the newspaper.  This magazine prints about 60,000 copies in each issue.  Each one sells for 3 Euro.  There are about 40 staff.  Of course, the major source of income is going to be advertisements.  But the sales figures still seem tiny to me, and I find it hard to believe that the entire operation is commercially viable.

Not advertisements. The newspaper has from the relaunch in the '90s been owned by the editor, the newspaper's big names and/or top  backerss. They were somewhat supported by another leftist newspaper so they have a whopping amount of one page of ads. Free satirical press comes at a price.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2015, 06:12:02 PM

I heard the normal print run is 16,000, not 60,000.

My guess is a lot of advertising for their online edition.

45,000 in 2012 seems more likely as reported by this source http://tempsreel.nouvelobs.com/medias/20121004.OBS4594/charlie-hebdo-triple-ses-ventes-avec-les-caricatures-de-mahomet.html

QuoteL'hebdomadaire satirique a vendu plus de 150.000 exemplaires de son numéro du 19 septembre, contre 45.000 habituellement.

45,000 copies sold usually