And we're back!

Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 09, 2015, 04:17:10 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 09, 2015, 04:05:16 PM
I have to wonder if the French nation is going to have that confrontation we have all hoped would never come to pass.  I have no idea what that is or what it may look like but we seem to be careening off in that direction.  One thing is for sure: Muslims continue to be fucked by these nutcases.

Yeah, immigrant communities always seem to take it in the shorts during times of severe economic crisis, and the Age of Austerity is no different, but having a few whack job members of a community playing Holy Warrior on top of that doesn't really help things with the home crowd. 

I tend to believe the conventional wisdom that the French take their ardent adherence to a secular society and their desire to retain their "Frenchness" rather seriously, so I can envision serious kickback and political pressure when it comes to shuttering the doors to certain immigrant populations.  But that's just conjecture because I've never bicycled to Paris, lest I appear all proto-racist and whatnot.

Let us hope so. The French have already broken the hold of a dysfunctional creed over Europe. I guess it's time for them to do it again.

mongers

Quote from: Martinus on January 09, 2015, 04:29:36 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 09, 2015, 04:17:10 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 09, 2015, 04:05:16 PM
I have to wonder if the French nation is going to have that confrontation we have all hoped would never come to pass.  I have no idea what that is or what it may look like but we seem to be careening off in that direction.  One thing is for sure: Muslims continue to be fucked by these nutcases.

Yeah, immigrant communities always seem to take it in the shorts during times of severe economic crisis, and the Age of Austerity is no different, but having a few whack job members of a community playing Holy Warrior on top of that doesn't really help things with the home crowd. 

I tend to believe the conventional wisdom that the French take their ardent adherence to a secular society and their desire to retain their "Frenchness" rather seriously, so I can envision serious kickback and political pressure when it comes to shuttering the doors to certain immigrant populations.  But that's just conjecture because I've never bicycled to Paris, lest I appear all proto-racist and whatnot.

Let us hope so. The French have already broken the hold of a dysfunctional creed over Europe. I guess it's time for them to do it again.

Mass produced 'chorley wood' bread? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Siege

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 08, 2015, 05:20:35 PM
Quote from: Siege on January 08, 2015, 04:47:44 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 07, 2015, 03:54:26 PM
Compañero is more like partner, mate or companion than comrade which exists in Spanish as camarada as well.

Your Sefaradi-Judeo-Castillian connection is getting weaker and weaker, compañero.  :contract:

Whoa, whoa, slow down. My command of the Iberian languages is unmatched even in the Academia Real.
Companero and camarado are synonyms.
And so is companera and camarada, in the female gender.

Companero  camarado (sic) do not exist, I'll concede that the ñ is too hard to type for you but not camarado (sic).

Real Academia not Academia Real  :D Btw, they only deal with Castillian, not other Iberian languages.
As for being synonyms, perfect synonyms are quite rare e.g compare, according to the Real Academia

http://lema.rae.es/drae/?val=camarada

Quotecamarada.
(De cámara, por dormir en un mismo aposento).
1. com. Persona que acompaña a otra y come y vive con ella.
2. com. Persona que anda en compañía con otras, tratándose con amistad y confianza.
3. com. En ciertos partidos políticos y sindicatos, correligionario o compañero.
4. f. Compañía o junta de camaradas.
5. f. ant. batería (‖ conjunto de piezas de artillería).
6. f. ant. batería (‖ fortificación para poner a cubierto piezas de artillería).

Quotecompañero, ra.
(De compaña).
1. m. y f. Persona que se acompaña con otra para algún fin.
2. m. y f. Cada uno de los individuos de que se compone un cuerpo o una comunidad, como un cabildo, un colegio, etc.
3. m. y f. En varios juegos, cada uno de los jugadores que se unen y ayudan contra los otros.
4. m. y f. Persona que tiene o corre una misma suerte o fortuna con otra.
5. m. y f. Cosa que hace juego o tiene correspondencia con otra u otras.
6. m. y f. coloq. Persona con la que se convive maritalmente.

Exec sum, you suck at languages, maybe it's the first step to becoming a real American for you, much to the chagrin of Comte Largent. I never thought Chineses spies would suck that much :(
You're like Grey Fox now, but he does not spy at least.

Are you questioning my insuperable superb ability to speak multiple languages? Why are you such a hater? Are you muslim, or communist, or liberal?
You might think you know Spanish, but I know real Spanish. I spoke spanish before I spoke english and I did not study either, I just farted and the words came out of my mouth. Peo!!! And I could speak French too if I wanted, but I have better uses for my intelect. Bottom line, I win!

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

mongers

I'd not be in least bit surprised if there isn't one or more of these attacks in Europe, possibly even the UK within the next few days.

Let's hope they aren't centrally directed and the next one is in some unexpected new form.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on January 09, 2015, 04:05:55 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 09, 2015, 04:02:01 PM
Well clearly.  The idea of defending a group of people who are labeled as "scum", is unconvincing to the people who hate them.

Whatever dude.  You love attacking those people in your own backyard but are a noble champion to them thousands of miles away whatever good that does.

Nobody lives in my backyard. :huh:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on January 09, 2015, 05:12:19 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 09, 2015, 04:05:55 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 09, 2015, 04:02:01 PM
Well clearly.  The idea of defending a group of people who are labeled as "scum", is unconvincing to the people who hate them.

Whatever dude.  You love attacking those people in your own backyard but are a noble champion to them thousands of miles away whatever good that does.

Nobody lives in my backyard. :huh:

He means the people who cross it as a shortcut to getting to Ed Anger's lawns, which they then intentional cross in a loiteresque way.

Ed Anger

The just want my buried coffee cans of money.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I don't know why this shit surprises me.  Saw it on the Egypt thing, see it now.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Siege on January 09, 2015, 04:47:28 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 08, 2015, 05:20:35 PM
Quote from: Siege on January 08, 2015, 04:47:44 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 07, 2015, 03:54:26 PM
Compañero is more like partner, mate or companion than comrade which exists in Spanish as camarada as well.

Your Sefaradi-Judeo-Castillian connection is getting weaker and weaker, compañero.  :contract:

Whoa, whoa, slow down. My command of the Iberian languages is unmatched even in the Academia Real.
Companero and camarado are synonyms.
And so is companera and camarada, in the female gender.

Companero  camarado (sic) do not exist, I'll concede that the ñ is too hard to type for you but not camarado (sic).

Real Academia not Academia Real  :D Btw, they only deal with Castillian, not other Iberian languages.
As for being synonyms, perfect synonyms are quite rare e.g compare, according to the Real Academia

http://lema.rae.es/drae/?val=camarada

Quotecamarada.
(De cámara, por dormir en un mismo aposento).
1. com. Persona que acompaña a otra y come y vive con ella.
2. com. Persona que anda en compañía con otras, tratándose con amistad y confianza.
3. com. En ciertos partidos políticos y sindicatos, correligionario o compañero.
4. f. Compañía o junta de camaradas.
5. f. ant. batería (‖ conjunto de piezas de artillería).
6. f. ant. batería (‖ fortificación para poner a cubierto piezas de artillería).

Quotecompañero, ra.
(De compaña).
1. m. y f. Persona que se acompaña con otra para algún fin.
2. m. y f. Cada uno de los individuos de que se compone un cuerpo o una comunidad, como un cabildo, un colegio, etc.
3. m. y f. En varios juegos, cada uno de los jugadores que se unen y ayudan contra los otros.
4. m. y f. Persona que tiene o corre una misma suerte o fortuna con otra.
5. m. y f. Cosa que hace juego o tiene correspondencia con otra u otras.
6. m. y f. coloq. Persona con la que se convive maritalmente.

Exec sum, you suck at languages, maybe it's the first step to becoming a real American for you, much to the chagrin of Comte Largent. I never thought Chineses spies would suck that much :(
You're like Grey Fox now, but he does not spy at least.

Are you questioning my insuperable superb ability to speak multiple languages? Why are you such a hater? Are you muslim, or communist, or liberal?
You might think you know Spanish, but I know real Spanish. I spoke spanish before I spoke english and I did not study either, I just farted and the words came out of my mouth. Peo!!! And I could speak French too if I wanted, but I have better uses for my intelect. Bottom line, I win!

This discussion is so....yesterday. :P
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Duque de Bragança

:lol: Hilarious, keep them coming you have become my favourite payaso.
¡Fuerza con el francés, compadre! :)

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on January 09, 2015, 05:25:00 PM
I don't know why this shit surprises me.  Saw it on the Egypt thing, see it now.

Yeah Seigy and Duque duelling over language was even odder in that one, than this.

mongers

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but it now seems likely the 4 victims in the supermarket siege, might have been killed in the initial taking rather than when police ended it.

derspiess

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 09, 2015, 05:38:57 PM

:lol: Hilarious, keep them coming you have become my favourite payaso.
¡Fuerza con el francés, compadre! :)

Que boludo.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on January 09, 2015, 05:42:38 PM
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but it now seems likely the 4 victims in the supermarket siege, might have been killed in the initial taking rather than when police ended it.

That's what they said last time I checked on French channels, when showing the pictures of the assault with a corpse already lying on the floor during the short time when the terrorists appeared to let the police enter before opening fire.

EDIT: TV just said that some people hid in the supermarket cold-storage room without the gunman suspecting anything.

Monoriu

I just saw some figures on the newspaper.  This magazine prints about 60,000 copies in each issue.  Each one sells for 3 Euro.  There are about 40 staff.  Of course, the major source of income is going to be advertisements.  But the sales figures still seem tiny to me, and I find it hard to believe that the entire operation is commercially viable.