And we're back!

Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on January 09, 2015, 01:39:37 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 09, 2015, 01:00:30 AM
No, that's not just what happens.  Sociopath.

Harper Lee disagrees:

Quote from: Classic American Literature"When he gave us our air-rifles Atticus wouldn't teach us to shoot. Uncle Jack instructed us in the rudiments thereof; he said Atticus wasn't interested in guns. Atticus said to Jem one day, 'I'd rather you shot at tin cans in the back yard, but I know you'll go after birds. Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.'"

Atticus was an Expos fan.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 09, 2015, 12:35:07 PM
Sure. But I can't understand why you'd give a press conference during a crisis like that unless you had something to announce. Which, apparently, he didn't :blink:

Well he always seemed like an idiot, so there is that.  :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on January 09, 2015, 12:33:59 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 09, 2015, 12:32:16 PM
DdB, you'll know. I saw reports that Hollande gave a banal press conference of generalities while the siege was still taking place. Did he? :blink:

That would be awkward but in general I wouldn't mind if a country's top guy dont have to hand-steer every god damn thing. It is a sign of a good organisation if he can say "free these hostages in the most efficient manner possible" and then just let it go.

I did not watch it  since I did not want to inflict on myself and you all afterwards that ordeal, but that's his style, yes. It's good that the Police is well trained and competent. Can't say that about the current government unfortunately. The Union nationale is already broken with question of inviting or even allowing the FN to the huge demonstration scheduled on Sunday. The Houellebecq scenario in a weird demonstration way. Marine Le Pen is already making the most of it.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on January 09, 2015, 12:40:18 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 09, 2015, 12:35:07 PM
Sure. But I can't understand why you'd give a press conference during a crisis like that unless you had something to announce. Which, apparently, he didn't :blink:

Well he always seemed like an idiot, so there is that.  :P

Well, there's this thing of just looking like an idiot and opening one's mouth to confirm it. I'll let you figure Flanby's status.

Back to topic

Update - French media report second gunman in kosher grocery in eastern #Paris was unknown male and has escaped as hostage situation ends (Sky News does not specify which medium).

Martinus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 09, 2015, 12:41:17 PM
Marine Le Pen is already making the most of it.

I suppose that bitch has been squirting* since Wednesday.

*This assumption is made based on my admittedly limited knowledge of female anatomy and, as such, may be incorrect.

mongers

I'm glad they're dead, a pity they took three or four more innocents with them.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Ah, sorry guys, you're late! The 70 virgins are having a newsroom meeting with the Charlie Hebdo guys.

Razgovory

Quote from: Agelastus on January 09, 2015, 10:38:38 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 09, 2015, 09:28:24 AM
I like to think I make a principled stand against bigotry.  If blacks are the one's attacked, then I defend the blacks.  If the Muslims are attacked, then I defend the Muslims.  When the gays are attacked, I defend the gays.  When it's people who are religious, then I defend them.  This concept seems to confuse a lot of people here.  The idea that I would defend a hated minority is simply "crazy", "trolling", or "contrarian".

So, since almost any group can be a "hated minority" (even whites, for example) you defend everybody in the world regardless of the right or wrong of the situation? You don't consider the facts or issues of the case, you just jump to the defence of the "attacked" party automatically?

That's not "trolling" or "contrarian" but it could very well be "crazy".

I think a phrase along the lines of "he who defends everybody convinces nobody" might be appropriate here.

Well clearly.  The idea of defending a group of people who are labeled as "scum", is unconvincing to the people who hate them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

This crisis in France just keeps building.  You keep hoping things will shift a bit and pressure will lessen.

I have to wonder if the French nation is going to have that confrontation we have all hoped would never come to pass.  I have no idea what that is or what it may look like but we seem to be careening off in that direction.  One thing is for sure: Muslims continue to be fucked by these nutcases. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on January 09, 2015, 04:02:01 PM
Well clearly.  The idea of defending a group of people who are labeled as "scum", is unconvincing to the people who hate them.

Whatever dude.  You love attacking those people in your own backyard but are a noble champion to them thousands of miles away whatever good that does.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on January 09, 2015, 04:05:16 PM
This crisis in France just keeps building.  You keep hoping things will shift a bit and pressure will lessen.

I have to wonder if the French nation is going to have that confrontation we have all hoped would never come to pass.  I have no idea what that is or what it may look like but we seem to be careening off in that direction.  One thing is for sure: Muslims continue to be fucked by these nutcases.

Turning and turning in the widening gyre   
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere   
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst   
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.   
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out   
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert   
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,   
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,   
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it   
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.   
The darkness drops again; but now I know   
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,   
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,   
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

:ph34r:

Malthus

Yeah, but when isn't a reading of the Second Comming appropriate?

Well, outside of a wedding, that is.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on January 09, 2015, 04:05:16 PM

Yeah, immigrant communities always seem to take it in the shorts during times of severe economic crisis, and the Age of Austerity is no different, but having a few whack job members of a community playing Holy Warrior on top of that doesn't really help things with the home crowd. 

I tend to believe the conventional wisdom that the French take their ardent adherence to a secular society and their desire to retain their "Frenchness" rather seriously, so I can envision serious kickback and political pressure when it comes to shuttering the doors to certain immigrant populations.  But that's just conjecture because I've never bicycled to Paris, lest I appear all proto-racist and whatnot.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Queequeg

Quote from: Malthus on January 09, 2015, 04:16:52 PM
Well, outside of a wedding, that is.  :D
Clearly you have never met my parents. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."