News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on January 08, 2015, 10:28:38 AM
There is this difference though: overall, fundie nutters *want* there to be more conflict, while the rest of us want *less* conflict. That's the reason behind the unreason of terrorism. A terrorist laughs every time someone in the West is encouraged by his acts to become a Grallon.

Which means you can't fight terrorists with one hand tied behind your back. ;)

Duque de Bragança

This has been said countless times but since the islamist apologists don't want to understand it, but the veil is not banned in France. What is banned in the streets and public places is face-covering garments (except during Carnival). Guess what, that's what the terrorists wore.

Martinus

Quote from: Warspite on January 08, 2015, 10:30:59 AM
And if we recall communist terrorism in Europe in the post-war period, wasn't it designed precisely to spur the capitalist state into revealing its true fascist character? In other words, the object of terror can often be to incite and inflame through propaganda of the deed.

I may be wrong, but I think communist terrorism was more rational than muslim terrorism is. Communist terorrism, in theory at least, treats terrorism as an extraordinary measure - once political goals are achieved, it no longer postulates terror (of course it is different in practice, but still). Muslim terrorism is simply "justice through other means" - they want to kill blasphemers, gays and "loose women" in the majesty of sharia law - they just commit mass murder acts now illegaly for lack of legal means.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 08, 2015, 10:25:13 AM
From France 24 liveblog

Expert on BFMTV says gunmen not pros. Went to wrong address, dropped identity card AND "Commandos don't drive a Citroen C3".

The ID card dropped allowed the quick identification. As for the Citroën bit, well I'm a bit more skeptical, it's easier to blend in with...

For the car to blend in better, it needed a dented quarter panel, messed up bumpers or be scratched to hell.

Paris traffic terrified me.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 08, 2015, 10:36:53 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 08, 2015, 10:25:13 AM
From France 24 liveblog

Expert on BFMTV says gunmen not pros. Went to wrong address, dropped identity card AND "Commandos don't drive a Citroen C3".

The ID card dropped allowed the quick identification. As for the Citroën bit, well I'm a bit more skeptical, it's easier to blend in with...

For the car to blend in better, it needed a dented quarter panel, messed up bumpers or be scratched to hell.

Paris traffic terrified me.

:hmm:
I guess that's why one of the cars they left behind had the back window completely broken.

Martinus

I think it's time to bring back the old Onion's classic:

QuoteWASHINGTON—Following the publication of the image above, in which the most cherished figures from multiple religious faiths were depicted engaging in a lascivious sex act of considerable depravity, no one was murdered, beaten, or had their lives threatened, sources reported Thursday. The image of the Hebrew prophet Moses high-fiving Jesus Christ as both are having their erect penises vigorously masturbated by Ganesha, all while the Hindu deity anally penetrates Buddha with his fist, reportedly went online at 6:45 p.m. EDT, after which not a single bomb threat was made against the organization responsible, nor did the person who created the cartoon go home fearing for his life in any way. Though some members of the Jewish, Christian, Hindu, and Buddhist faiths were reportedly offended by the image, sources confirmed that upon seeing it, they simply shook their heads, rolled their eyes, and continued on with their day.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/no-one-murdered-because-of-this-image,29553/#

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 08, 2015, 10:34:35 AM
This has been said countless times but since the islamist apologists don't want to understand it, but the veil is not banned in France. What is banned in the streets and public places is face-covering garments (except during Carnival). Guess what, that's what the terrorists wore.

"Islamist apologists"? We have those posting here? :hmm:

Was referring to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_scarf_controversy_in_France

And not this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_ban_on_face_covering
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on January 08, 2015, 10:46:45 AM

Canadians (sans Quebecois), garbon and Raz.

The Brain

The inability to separate fantasy from reality is one of the classic symptoms of mental illness. Religious people are weirdos and should be treated as such.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on January 08, 2015, 10:51:02 AM

Canadians (sans Quebecois), garbon and Raz.

Seems rather inaccurate. But go ahead and use the term, if you think it makes you look reasonable.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Duque de Bragança

Was referring to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_scarf_controversy_in_France

Nice backtracking, you and other people conflate the two issues constantly, and by not mentioning that any conspicuous religious symbol to people under 18 in state-owned schools. People can still choose a religious school if they wish so. So it's not like their freedom is infringed for the pro-islamist librarytarian out there.
If you weren't conflating you would tell what the law is about and mention that Turkey, despite Erdogan, had had the same law since Atatürk. Erdogan might try to "fix" this though.

Malthus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 08, 2015, 10:55:53 AM

Nice backtracking, you and other people conflate the two issues constantly, and by not mentioning that any conspicuous religious symbol to people under 18 in state-owned schools. People can still choose a religious school if they wish so. So it's not like their freedom is infringed for the pro-islamist librarytarian out there.
If you weren't conflating you would tell what the law is about and mention that Turkey, despite Erdogan, had had the same law since Atatürk. Erdogan might try to "fix" this though.

All I can say is "huh"?

Somehow, I am forced to discuss Turkey now?  :huh:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Malthus on January 08, 2015, 10:58:22 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 08, 2015, 10:55:53 AM

All I can say is "huh"?

Somehow, I am forced to discuss Turkey now?  :huh:

I know it's harder for you to discuss Turkey than showing your bigotry against French-speakers (in Canada mostly) but you really should discuss Turkey when dealing with secularism topics.