News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on January 08, 2015, 12:58:33 AM
You're a WWII buff, look at his avatar.  Try and figure out where that picture came from.  He's a nut.  Fucker makes me look rational.

Guessing games are lame, why don't you just tell us?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 08, 2015, 12:58:01 AM
They really don't. They kill far more Muslims than anyone else and not just for ease. Takfirism is a big feature of lots of current jihadi groups - and remember that before ISIS were releasing videos of them killing Western reporters they were releasing videos of them killing apostates and executing Shia truck drivers who answered incorrectly about how to pray. Many of the groups we know as jihadi are called takfiri in the region because that's their more defining feature.

But again, these guys were clearly targeting people who they viewed as responsible for blasphemy.  I suppose it's possible that they would have viewed a Muslim policeman as being an apostate simply by working for the French state, but it's also possible that they'd have spared him had they known he was Muslim. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: PDH on January 08, 2015, 12:24:41 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 08, 2015, 12:07:45 AM
I doubt it. This sort of extremist tend to think most other Muslims are either heretics or effectively apostates. It's one of the features of Jihadi Islamism, particularly ISIS, and one of the reasons Syria's so brutal.

This sounds so "wars of religion" period christian thinking.  The only problem with this is, given the timeline, it will be a hundred more years of reformation killing of everyone in sight before some sort of logic begins to prevail.

Eh. We keep hearing how Islam needs a reformation but I think it's a red herring. They have gone through several reformations, each creating a more monstrous form of the religion than the one before it (and in that, it's not so different from Christianity). What Islam needs is Enlightenment.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on January 08, 2015, 01:25:20 AM
Quote from: PDH on January 08, 2015, 12:24:41 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 08, 2015, 12:07:45 AM
I doubt it. This sort of extremist tend to think most other Muslims are either heretics or effectively apostates. It's one of the features of Jihadi Islamism, particularly ISIS, and one of the reasons Syria's so brutal.

This sounds so "wars of religion" period christian thinking.  The only problem with this is, given the timeline, it will be a hundred more years of reformation killing of everyone in sight before some sort of logic begins to prevail.

Eh. We keep hearing how Islam needs a reformation but I think it's a red herring. They have gone through several reformations, each creating a more monstrous form of the religion than the one before it (and in that, it's not so different from Christianity). What Islam needs is Enlightenment.

I think that would increase the number of beheadings, not decrease it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2015, 11:59:13 PM
So I missed that apparently one of them* voluntarily surrendered?

*Or at least one of the people the police were looking for.

Along the fruitless raid in Reims, in another operation  Charleville-Mézières, the brother of a suspect voluntarily surrendered , since he was sought by the police.
Suspects had quite a record with one featuring a conviction in a jihadi connection ring to Iraq in 2008.

The last piece of news is another shooting early in the morning in the close southern Parisian suburb of Montrouge. Two city cops injured, one badly. Suspects had MP5 SMGs.
Still don't know if it's linked to the Charlie Hebdo attack. A suspect has also been apprehended.

Martinus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 08, 2015, 03:01:26 AM
Suspects had quite a record with one featuring a conviction in a jihadi connection ring to Iraq in 2008.

I'm beginning to think the American way of locking them up indefinitely in Guantanamo is a preferred option.  :hmm:

Martinus

Many people are saying that this will not have a chilling effect in France, which is a country of political cartoons as much as it is of haute couture, cuisine and philosophy. Let's hope this is true.

I found this cartoon to be quite powerful in its simplicity:

Martinus

Looking through Charlie Hebdo covers. This one is quite good.  :lol:

Martinus

A piece on the victims. Remarkable people.

QuoteCharlie Hebdo terrorist attack: remembering the victims

Gunmen on Tuesday killed at least 12 people at French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, which has drawn criticism in recent years for covers and cartoons mocking religious figures, including the Prophet Mohammed. Here is what we know about the victims so far, based on media reports.

Stéphane Charbonnier

Charbonnier, who wrote under the name Charb, was the editor-in-chief of Charlie Hebdo.

Charbonnier previously defended the magazine's depictions of Mohammed in cartoons, which were meant to mock extremists, not Islam or Muslims specifically.

"Mohammed isn't sacred to me," Charbonnier told the Associated Press in 2012. "I don't blame Muslims for not laughing at our drawings. I live under French law. I don't live under Quranic law."

Charbonnier said he didn't fear retaliation for the magazine's controversial work. He explained to Le Monde in 2012, "I have no kids, no wife, no car, no credit. This may be a bit pompous what I'm saying, but I prefer to die standing than live on my knees."

Charbonnier made similar comments to ABC News in 2012. "Our job is not to defend freedom of speech. But without freedom of speech we are dead," he said. "I prefer to die than live like a rat."

Georges Wolinski

Wolinski was an 80-year-old cartoonist who had worked for and collaborated with numerous publications, including Charlie Hebdo, L'Humanité, Libération, and Le Nouvel Observateur, according to Le Monde.

"The comedian," he was quoted as saying by Le Monde, "belongs to no party, believes in no religion; all acts are suspect, especially those who are not guided by the profit."

Bernard Verlhac

Verlhac, who went by the moniker Tignous, was a cartoonist who worked for multiple publications throughout his life, including Charlie Hebdo, Casus Belli, and Marianne, according to Le Monde. He also participated in Cartooning for Peace, which strives for "a better understanding and mutual respect between people of different cultures and beliefs."

Le Monde quoted him as saying, "A drawing can make one laugh. When it's truly received, it can make one think. If it makes one both laugh and think, then it's an excellent drawing. But the best drawing makes one laugh, think, and provokes a feeling of shame. The reader experiences shame for having laughed at such a grave situation. This drawing is magnificent, because it's the one that stays."

Jean Cabut

Jean Cabut, who went by Cabu, worked as a cartoonist for many publications, including Charlie Hebdo, Le Monde, and Le Figaro.

Cabut drew one of Charlie Hebdo's most controversial cover images of the Prophet Mohammed, according to the Telegraph. The cartoon depicted Mohammed saying, "It's hard to be loved by idiots," under the caption "Mohammed overwhelmed by fundamentalists."

Le Monde described Cabut's vast body of work: "The unparalleled pencil stroke which allowed him to caricature with a disconcerting ease any personality in the political world or show business, a lingering eternal adolescent air, a slightly arched shape under his raincoat, card drawings under his arm, worthy of the Grand Duduche, the naive and utopian hero that made him famous in the 1960s."

Cabut was also the father of French singer Mano Solo, who died in 2010 at the age of 46 as a result of multiple aneurisms.

Elsa Cayat

Cayat was an analyst and columnist at Charlie Hebdo, according to Le Figaro.

Philippe Honoré

Honoré was a cartoonist who had worked with Charlie Hebdo since 1992, according to the Guardian. He drew the last cartoon tweeted by the magazine before Wednesday's attack. The cartoon shows Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the leader of ISIS , with the caption, "Best wishes to al-Baghdadi as well." The leader of ISIS responds, "And especially to good health!"

Mustapha Ourrad

Ourrad was a copy editor at Charlie Hebdo, according to the Guardian.

Frederic Boisseau

Boisseau was a maintenance worker at the Charlie Hebdo building, Le Figaro reported.

Bernard Maris

Maris was a French economist and shareholder in Charlie Hebdo. He served as a member of the Bank of France's General Council, NBC News reported. And he wrote for Charlie Hebdo under the moniker Uncle Bernard, according to French daily newspaper L'Humanité.

Maris was an admirer of the liberal economist John Maynard Keynes, according to Le Monde. He often criticized other economists for the perpetuation of economic concepts that he claimed led to excess.

L'Humanité previously reviewed some of his work: "In volume 1 of this 'anti-manual,' which appeared in 2003, Bernard Maris, a culturally refined and unorthodox economist, and Charlie Hebdo ('Uncle Bernard') chronicler to boot, broke down the ductile 'laws' of economics: laws of supply, demand, of 'pure and perfect' competition, etc. He showed that the economy is not an automatic system imposing its needs on man but that it is a human construct characterised by power play and by political domination, imitative behaviour etc."

Michel Renaud

Renaud, founder of the art festival Rendez-vous de Carnet de Voyage, was visiting the Charlie Hebdo offices for an upcoming project, according to Le Monde. One of Renaud's colleagues reportedly survived the attack.

Ahmed Merabet

Merabet, a 42-year-old police officer, was patrolling the neighborhood when he encountered masked gunment outside the Charlie Hebdo building, according to Le Figaro. "He leaves behind a wife," Rocco Contento, departmental secretary of the union SGP Police Unit, told Le Figaro. "We are all extremely shocked."

Franck Brinsolaro

Franck Brinsolaro was a 49-year-old police officer and bodyguard for Charbonnier, according to Le Monde. He leaves behind a daughter, one of his colleagues told Le Figaro.

Other victims

Eleven were injured, with four in serious condition, according to Paris prosecutor François Molins.

http://www.vox.com/2015/1/7/7508335/charlie-hebdo-victims

The link has pictures (both of the people and some of their most famous cartoons) and interview clips with some of them.

Norgy

Syt

Also, an explosion near a mosque in East France.

Seriously, could people stop killing other people for a moment, FFS?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Apparently some media outlets showed a picture of Stéphane Charbonnier (the chief editor and victim), holding a copy of Charlie Hebdo with the cartoon on the cover pixelled out.

That is so low and pathetic, I don't have words.  :yuk:

Duque de Bragança

The badly injured policewoman early this morning, died.

Tamas