News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 07, 2015, 04:44:06 PM
Sorry, not yet, but they were identified. One from Reims, the other two, brothers, from Gennevilliers, a Parisian suburb.

Much less good :(

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 07, 2015, 04:49:04 PM
Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2015, 01:07:28 PM
You really do need to read it in Greek to get the puns, like the one about being born again vs being born from above, which is only a joke in Greek, not Aramaic.

Which amusingly means the joke is on Jesus, who certainly spoke Aramaic, but likely little if any Greek.

From a certain perspective, the entire Christian religion is a joke on Jesus. :P

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

I think he understood English, but I don't think he spoke it well enough to feel confident in general conversation.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: mongers on January 07, 2015, 04:48:49 PM
I don't think 'they' have ever demanded respect, rather an end to persecution and equality before the law. Its then up to the rest of use to like, embrace or otherwise the cultural aspects of LGBT life.

I have certainly heard LGBT activists demand respect for their cause in any number of venues and contexts, so I don't think I can agree with that.

QuoteIt's pretty clear to me that respect is not given, but earned; so you just can't put your ideology or religion into the public space and demand it be respected, without a positive contribution on it's or your part.

Yeah, respect is not something you get just because you demand it. But some people demanding respect for their position does not, in my view, mean all people who hold that position should be mocked.

crazy canuck

You really do need to read it in Greek to get the puns, like the one about being born again vs being born from above, which is only a joke in Greek, not Aramaic.

Which amusingly means the joke is on Jesus, who certainly spoke Aramaic, but likely little if any Greek.

And is one of the arguments for the proposition that a historical Jesus never existed. ;)

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on January 07, 2015, 04:50:25 PM
He spoke English :rolleyes:

Must have been pretty awkward given how no one around him understood it.

The Minsky Moment

Of course but that was only later when he visited the Native Americans with the Angel Moroni
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on January 07, 2015, 04:53:29 PM

Must have been pretty awkward given how no one around him understood it.

That's why the Gospels are filled with contradictions.

Malthus

Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2015, 04:46:13 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 07, 2015, 04:37:49 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 04:20:33 PM
A statement from Salman Rushdie, now being re-tweeted by Neil Gaiman and other writers:

Quote"Religion, a mediaeval form of unreason, when combined with modern weaponry becomes a real threat to our freedoms. This religious totalitarianism has caused a deadly mutation in the heart of Islam and we see the tragic consequences in Paris today. I stand with Charlie Hebdo, as we all must, to defend the art of satire, which has always been a force for liberty and against tyranny, dishonesty and stupidity. 'Respect for religion' has become a code phrase meaning 'fear of religion.' Religions, like all other ideas, deserve criticism, satire, and, yes, our fearless disrespect."  –Salman Rushdie

I could not agree more. I guess for several people here, that's racism and bigotry but go fuck yourself.

It is silly in several respects.

First, there is nothing particularly "medieval" about religion - something that has existed since, as far as we know, the dawn of humanity.

Second, the notion that these terrorists represent the "heart of Islam" is simply untrue.

Third, while I support the right to satirize anything without fear of violence, I am unclear as to why all ideas "deserve disrespect".

He didn't say religion was medieval, he said religion was a medieval form of unreason. Nouns and Adjectives are different things.

He also didn't say they represented the heart of islam, he said religious totalitarianism was a deadly mutation in the heart of islam.

Reading comprehension much?

Religion is in no way "medieval". Terrorism is not part of the heart of Islam, and so cannot be "a deadly mutation in the heart of islam". And it makes no sense to state that all ideas "deserve disrespect" - I point I see you did not bother to contest. Surely some ideas deserve disrespect and others do not, depending on content?

For famous writers, they sure have trouble conveying simple ideas - that people should be free to satyrize anything without fear of assault - without mixing in a lot of silliness.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 04:49:51 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 07, 2015, 04:37:33 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 04:33:29 PM
Quote from: Liep on January 07, 2015, 04:27:13 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 07, 2015, 04:25:16 PM

Why is it that all religions "deserve" disrespect?

Because they demand respect.

Yup.

What should we do about gay people demanding respect?

I don't think 'they' have ever demanded respect, rather an end to persecution and equality before the law. Its then up to the rest of use to like, embrace or otherwise the cultural aspects of LGBT life.

It's pretty clear to me that respect is not given, but earned; so you just can't put your ideology or religion into the public space and demand it be respected, without a positive contribution on it's or your part.

Very well said.

But false. Gays most definitely demand respect.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on January 07, 2015, 04:52:45 PM

I have certainly heard LGBT activists demand respect for their cause in any number of venues and contexts, so I don't think I can agree with that.

QuoteIt's pretty clear to me that respect is not given, but earned; so you just can't put your ideology or religion into the public space and demand it be respected, without a positive contribution on it's or your part.

Yeah, respect is not something you get just because you demand it. But some people demanding respect for their position does not, in my view, mean all people who hold that position should be mocked.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

It also means the entire encounter is fictitious, written by greeks for greeks after the fact. It's like claiming the "who's on first" routine was translated word for word from German. It's some other story about somebody else inserted into the gospels making jesus the protagonist after the fact.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on January 07, 2015, 04:54:39 PM
Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2015, 04:46:13 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 07, 2015, 04:37:49 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 04:20:33 PM
A statement from Salman Rushdie, now being re-tweeted by Neil Gaiman and other writers:

Quote"Religion, a mediaeval form of unreason, when combined with modern weaponry becomes a real threat to our freedoms. This religious totalitarianism has caused a deadly mutation in the heart of Islam and we see the tragic consequences in Paris today. I stand with Charlie Hebdo, as we all must, to defend the art of satire, which has always been a force for liberty and against tyranny, dishonesty and stupidity. 'Respect for religion' has become a code phrase meaning 'fear of religion.' Religions, like all other ideas, deserve criticism, satire, and, yes, our fearless disrespect."  –Salman Rushdie

I could not agree more. I guess for several people here, that's racism and bigotry but go fuck yourself.

It is silly in several respects.

First, there is nothing particularly "medieval" about religion - something that has existed since, as far as we know, the dawn of humanity.

Second, the notion that these terrorists represent the "heart of Islam" is simply untrue.

Third, while I support the right to satirize anything without fear of violence, I am unclear as to why all ideas "deserve disrespect".

He didn't say religion was medieval, he said religion was a medieval form of unreason. Nouns and Adjectives are different things.

He also didn't say they represented the heart of islam, he said religious totalitarianism was a deadly mutation in the heart of islam.

Reading comprehension much?

Religion is in no way "medieval". Terrorism is not part of the heart of Islam, and so cannot be "a deadly mutation in the heart of islam". And it makes no sense to state that all ideas "deserve disrespect" - I point I see you did not bother to contest. Surely some ideas deserve disrespect and others do not, depending on content?

For famous writers, they sure have trouble conveying simple ideas - that people should be free to satyrize anything without fear of assault - without mixing in a lot of silliness.

Terrorism not part of the heart of Islam? LOL We fight the Islam we have, not the Islam we wish we had.

I think you understand what he meant by all ideas deserve disrespect.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2015, 04:54:55 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 04:49:51 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 07, 2015, 04:37:33 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 04:33:29 PM
Quote from: Liep on January 07, 2015, 04:27:13 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 07, 2015, 04:25:16 PM

Why is it that all religions "deserve" disrespect?

Because they demand respect.

Yup.

What should we do about gay people demanding respect?

It's pretty clear to me that respect is not given, but earned; so you just can't put your ideology or religion into the public space and demand it be respected, without a positive contribution on it's or your part.

Very well said.

But false. Gays most definitely demand respect.

Well you're not getting any until your post here have a better tone.   :P

edit:
And several us are a hair's breadth away to resolving this dispute down to the dictionary definition of respect, tis the Languish way.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"