And we're back!

Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on January 07, 2015, 05:12:18 PM
Incidentally, given the general disrespect journalists are held in on Languish,

Brazen and Josephus are both well-regarded.

And generally, only lazy journalists get disrespected here.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on January 07, 2015, 05:19:19 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 05:13:42 PM

Incidentally, given the general disrespect journalists are held in on Languish, can't we in future considering giving them some appreciation for the increasingly difficult and dangerous job they now find themselves doing, both abroad and now in their home countries?

After this thread, I generally respect journalists more than Canadians, FWIW.

What are your thoughts on Josephus, a Canadian journalist? :contract:

He has excellent taste in music, so is excused all other offences.  ;)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 07, 2015, 05:20:15 PM

It's the usual "the ones I know are the good ones, it's the group as a whole that's despicable."

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on January 07, 2015, 05:18:15 PM
I didn't read his piece, just going on what was commented in this thread and if that the case then is a poor showing. I'd be happy if he came out and said the former, it's understandable and I don't think the government can station a squad of MP5 armed police on every newspaper office entrance, enough to deter these type of terrorists.
As I say I wouldn't be surprised if we moved towards an armed Met in the near future.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2015, 05:07:38 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 07, 2015, 05:06:32 PM
Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2015, 05:05:38 PM
I'm baffled by your idiocy here.

:secret: he's mocking your own inconsistencies. In fact, you could say he is criticizing and satirizing you.

The only inconsistencies are between the various strawmen being constructed.

I'm curious how you see this debate going.  There seems to be a lot of disconnect here.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Liep on January 07, 2015, 05:18:39 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2015, 05:09:41 PM
It? Again, I assume you mean Muslims can demand respect for it to work as an idea. Can I not also say that Gays demand respect for the idea of homosexuality working as an idea? After all - much of the 20th century saw homosexuality noted as just disordered thing that always led to bad ends for its adherents.

Gays and muslims alike should be respected as humans, with that I, of course, agree. But I still wouldn't say they demand the same respect for their respective liking. One wants respect as a human and to be equal, one is equal but wants respect for their idea.

Maybe I'm not explaining this probably, and this thread is moving to fast for me to keep up with. :P

Yeah, I'm not getting the distinction, as despite what Martinus has said a few times today, homosexuality does have a certain set of ideas attached to it. LGBT activists have pushed not for mere tolerance of those ideas (and activities :perv:) but societal acceptance.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on January 07, 2015, 05:11:52 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 05:00:49 PM
In any case, ideas are not people. He did not say Muslims deserve disrespect - he said Islam does. Ideas have no rights and do not deserve respect.

Distinction without a difference.  "Islam" is a belief deeply held by Muslim peoples.  By showing Islam respect, you're not showing that respect to the religion, you're showing that respect to the billion or so adherents.

I don't buy this.

And what does it mean in practice?

And to go full godwins, a few years back millions of Germans held a deep belief in a certain ideology.

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on January 07, 2015, 05:22:06 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 07, 2015, 05:20:15 PM

It's the usual "the ones I know are the good ones, it's the group as a whole that's despicable."

So... Kind of like how a lot of people think about Muslims.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: mongers on January 07, 2015, 05:23:47 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 07, 2015, 05:11:52 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 05:00:49 PM
In any case, ideas are not people. He did not say Muslims deserve disrespect - he said Islam does. Ideas have no rights and do not deserve respect.

Distinction without a difference.  "Islam" is a belief deeply held by Muslim peoples.  By showing Islam respect, you're not showing that respect to the religion, you're showing that respect to the billion or so adherents.

I don't buy this.

And what does it mean in practice?

And to go full godwins, a few years back millions of Germans held a deep belief in a certain ideology.

... including that a particular religion ought to be disrespected.

derspiess

Incidentally, given the general disrespect journalists are held in on Languish, can't we in future considering giving them some appreciation for the increasingly difficult and dangerous job they now find themselves doing, both abroad and now in their home countries?

Absolutely.  The dude who covers high school girls basketball for my local rag is a brave hero.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2015, 05:23:06 PM
Quote from: Liep on January 07, 2015, 05:18:39 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2015, 05:09:41 PM
It? Again, I assume you mean Muslims can demand respect for it to work as an idea. Can I not also say that Gays demand respect for the idea of homosexuality working as an idea? After all - much of the 20th century saw homosexuality noted as just disordered thing that always led to bad ends for its adherents.

Gays and muslims alike should be respected as humans, with that I, of course, agree. But I still wouldn't say they demand the same respect for their respective liking. One wants respect as a human and to be equal, one is equal but wants respect for their idea.

Maybe I'm not explaining this probably, and this thread is moving to fast for me to keep up with. :P

Yeah, I'm not getting the distinction, as despite what Martinus has said a few times today, homosexuality does have a certain set of ideas attached to it. LGBT activists have pushed not for mere tolerance of those ideas (and activities :perv:) but societal acceptance.

But I also recognise a number of dysfunctional practices in the "cultural" practice of homosexuality, so to speak. I don't demand respect for the cult of fit body, darkrooms and grindr, for example. And on top of that, homosexuality is inborn so at least a part of it is immutable. Religion isn't.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jacob on January 07, 2015, 05:22:06 PM

I haven't seen this evident distaste for journalists displayed anywhere other than in response to articles that are poorly written and/or factually wrong. Journalists who do their job right pass by without notice.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2015, 05:23:06 PM

Those fighting for respect for the right to bang whoever and for the right to wear whatever on ones head are similar. But what is the gay equivalent to demanding respect for a deity?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 07, 2015, 05:22:42 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 07, 2015, 05:18:15 PM
I didn't read his piece, just going on what was commented in this thread and if that the case then is a poor showing. I'd be happy if he came out and said the former, it's understandable and I don't think the government can station a squad of MP5 armed police on every newspaper office entrance, enough to deter these type of terrorists.
As I say I wouldn't be surprised if we moved towards an armed Met in the near future.

Understandable, but I don't think there's anything like the training resources to ever arm what 30,000* or so police and it would take years anyway. Besides the vast majority would only be armed with side arms, who'd still be at a serious disadvantage if facing AQ/ISIL returnees from Syria/Iraq.

I think something like 10%* of the Met are currently firearms certificated?

Certainly we'll see a greater armed presence, as logically an outrage like this in London is probably next on the list or highly likely given the ME influences at work.

What about employing large numbers of former members of the Royal Ulster Constabulary in a 'beefed-up' Met?

*figure plucked from air.

* 2nd figure plucked from air.