And we're back!

Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2015, 05:05:01 PM
Which then makes that irrelevant to all of us. I don't think common people approach the world thinking that we should approach everything with disrespect.
No of course. I think a duty to disrespect leads to sort of very cynical, post-modern, Russia Today-ish view of the world. There's no hierarchy of ideas or narratives.

However given that the world us common people live in is one with such hierarchies and implicit respects I think that writers, artists and especially satirists do perhaps have a duty to prick those bubbles and knock things off the podium, if only temporarily. It's taken a lot of disrespect to get from a sort of Mr Cholmondley-Warner view of the world.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 05:00:49 PM
In any case, ideas are not people. He did not say Muslims deserve disrespect - he said Islam does. Ideas have no rights and do not deserve respect.

Distinction without a difference.  "Islam" is a belief deeply held by Muslim peoples.  By showing Islam respect, you're not showing that respect to the religion, you're showing that respect to the billion or so adherents.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Incidentally, given the general disrespect journalists are held in on Languish, can't we in future considering giving them some appreciation for the increasingly difficult and dangerous job they now find themselves doing, both abroad and now in their home countries?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 07, 2015, 05:11:31 PM
Which then makes that irrelevant to all of us. I don't think common people approach the world thinking that we should approach everything with disrespect.
No of course. I think a duty to disrespect leads to sort of very cynical, post-modern, Russia Today-ish view of the world. There's no hierarchy of ideas or narratives.

However given that the world us common people live in is one with such hierarchies and implicit respects I think that writers, artists and especially satirists do perhaps have a duty to prick those bubbles and knock things off the podium, if only temporarily. It's taken a lot of disrespect to get from a sort of Mr Cholmondley-Warner view of the world.

Indeed. This is possibly the only raison d'etre of art. Everything else is banal.

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on January 07, 2015, 05:09:04 PM

Oh I wasn't addressing that point and didn't read that post, but yes it was deadly then, but weren't those two killed in the Muslim world, whereas now the threat is Very real here in Europe and I have some sympathy with guardian editors quandary.
From memory it was an Italian editor and a Japanese translator.

But as I say I have no issue with an editor saying 'we won't publish this because I'm afraid for my life, my loved ones and my employees'. My problem comes from an editor who tries to dress that up as an issue of 'respect' or 'sensitivity'.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: mongers on January 07, 2015, 05:12:18 PM

Incidentally, given the general disrespect journalists are held in on Languish, can't we in future considering giving them some appreciation for the increasingly difficult and dangerous job they now find themselves doing, both abroad and now in their home countries?

It's a tiny minority that is involved in Islamic cartoonery.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

After this thread, I generally respect journalists more than Canadians, FWIW.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 07, 2015, 05:11:31 PM

I can agree with that but it all seems like introducing a meta-discussion into a discussion of a press release(?) by Rushdie. If we were say critiquing a long-form op-ed or novel by him...well that would seem more appropriate. -_- :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

It was obvious what Rushdie was talking about.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 07, 2015, 05:13:24 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 07, 2015, 05:09:04 PM

Oh I wasn't addressing that point and didn't read that post, but yes it was deadly then, but weren't those two killed in the Muslim world, whereas now the threat is Very real here in Europe and I have some sympathy with guardian editors quandary.
From memory it was an Italian editor and a Japanese translator.

But as I say I have no issue with an editor saying 'we won't publish this because I'm afraid for my life, my loved ones and my employees'. My problem comes from an editor who tries to dress that up as an issue of 'respect' or 'sensitivity'.

Yes, I half remember, I was confusing those victims with the several dozen killed in the demonstrations in the ME/Pakistan.

I didn't read his piece, just going on what was commented in this thread and if that the case then is a poor showing. I'd be happy if he came out and said the former, it's understandable and I don't think the government can station a squad of MP5 armed police on every newspaper office entrance, enough to deter these type of terrorists.

Liep

Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2015, 05:09:41 PM
It? Again, I assume you mean Muslims can demand respect for it to work as an idea. Can I not also say that Gays demand respect for the idea of homosexuality working as an idea? After all - much of the 20th century saw homosexuality noted as just disordered thing that always led to bad ends for its adherents.

Gays and muslims alike should be respected as humans, with that I, of course, agree. But I still wouldn't say they demand the same respect for their respective liking. One wants respect as a human and to be equal, one is equal but wants respect for their idea.

Maybe I'm not explaining this probably, and this thread is moving to fast for me to keep up with. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Viking

Quote from: Jacob on January 07, 2015, 05:08:45 PM
Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2015, 05:07:38 PMThe only inconsistencies are between the various strawmen being constructed.

Yeah, which is why you should stop making them.

thank you for your lack of contribution
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 05:13:42 PM

What are your thoughts on Josephus, a Canadian journalist? :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 05:13:42 PM

Yeah, It's kinda odd isn't it.