And we're back!

Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 07, 2015, 05:02:32 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2015, 04:59:36 PM
It would have made more sense if he just said criticism and satire. The fearless disrespect seemed liked a bizarre rhetorical flourish.
I disagree. I think especially from the perspective of a novelist like Rushdie or any other artist approaching a subject or an idea from a position of immediate respect is inhibiting and wrong. All ideas need to be open to disrespect, to descralisation - including, of course, all the different pieties in this thread.

There is an important distinction between something being "open" to disrespect (as you say) which is not very different from open to criticism and "deserving" disrespect.

Martinus

Malthus choose to side with people I don't respect. This makes me sad. :(

Jacob

Quote from: mongers on January 07, 2015, 05:02:56 PM
I can understand the strident tone of Rushdie's 'post' as this outrage would very likely have been his fate years ago, but for police protection, going into hiding and the then relative lack of murderous fanatics.

I guess he probably feels threatened again.

Yeah, it's understandable from Rushdie.

Still, I reserve the right to criticize and even mock him.

Viking

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 07, 2015, 05:02:21 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 05:00:49 PM
In any case, ideas are not people. He did not say Muslims deserve disrespect - he said Islam does. Ideas have no rights and do not deserve respect.

Really?  A theology can "demand" respect without the need for human agency?  So you are a Theist after all. :P

I'm baffled by your idiocy here.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

I can understand the strident tone of Rushdie's 'post' as this outrage would very likely have been his fate years ago, but for police protection, going into hiding and the then relative lack of murderous fanatics.

But to go back to the editors point I believe one of his editors and one of his translators were murdered.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 07, 2015, 05:05:10 PM
It would have made more sense if he just said criticism and satire. The fearless disrespect seemed liked a bizarre rhetorical flourish.
I disagree. I think especially from the perspective of a novelist like Rushdie or any other artist approaching a subject or an idea from a position of immediate respect is inhibiting and wrong. All ideas need to be open to disrespect, to descralisation - including, of course, all the different pieties in this thread.

There is an important distinction between something being "open" to disrespect (as you say) which is not very different from open to criticism and "deserving" disrespect.

Yeah for sure.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2015, 05:03:13 PM
Islam can't demand respect as an idea, it can't speak. Maybe you are talking about Muslims who demand respect for their religion - which when phrased like that seems similar to the construction of gays demanding respect for their sexuality/life choices. :)

It can demand respect for it to work as an idea.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Jacob

Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2015, 05:05:38 PM

:secret: he's mocking your own inconsistencies. In fact, you could say he is criticizing and satirizing you.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 07, 2015, 05:05:10 PM

I was going to post this, but you beat me to it.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 07, 2015, 05:02:21 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 05:00:49 PM
In any case, ideas are not people. He did not say Muslims deserve disrespect - he said Islam does. Ideas have no rights and do not deserve respect.

Really?  A theology can "demand" respect without the need for human agency?  So you are a Theist after all. :P

I'm baffled

I am not surprised.

Viking

Quote from: Jacob on January 07, 2015, 05:06:32 PM

:secret: he's mocking your own inconsistencies. In fact, you could say he is criticizing and satirizing you.

The only inconsistencies are between the various strawmen being constructed.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Jacob

Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2015, 05:07:38 PMThe only inconsistencies are between the various strawmen being constructed.

Yeah, which is why you should stop making them.

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 07, 2015, 05:05:48 PM

But to go back to the editors point I believe one of his editors and one of his translators were murdered.

Oh I wasn't addressing that point and didn't read that post, but yes it was deadly then, but weren't those two killed in the Muslim world, whereas now the threat is Very real here in Europe and I have some sympathy with guardian editors quandary.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

Quote from: Liep on January 07, 2015, 05:06:17 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2015, 05:03:13 PM
Islam can't demand respect as an idea, it can't speak. Maybe you are talking about Muslims who demand respect for their religion - which when phrased like that seems similar to the construction of gays demanding respect for their sexuality/life choices. :)

It can demand respect for it to work as an idea.

It? Again, I assume you mean Muslims can demand respect for it to work as an idea. Can I not also say that Gays demand respect for the idea of homosexuality working as an idea? After all - much of the 20th century saw homosexuality noted as just disordered thing that always led to bad ends for its adherents.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.