News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Because when I hear about a tragedy, my first instinct is to wonder how it will affect the local elections.

Psycho.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Liep

Quote from: Habbaku on January 07, 2015, 12:36:06 PM
Because when I hear about a tragedy, my first instinct is to wonder how it will affect the local elections.

Psycho.

Yeah, the lack of empathy and the focus on personal gain really is worrying.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Norgy

QuoteThe accusation that we are pouring oil on the flames in the current situation really gets on my nerves. After the publication of this absurd and grotesque film about Muhammad in the US, other newspapers have responded to the protests with cover stories. We are doing the same thing, but with drawings. And a drawing has never killed anyone.

We publish caricatures every week, but people only describe them as declarations of war when it's about the person of the Prophet or radical Islam. When you start saying that you can't create such drawings, then the same thing will soon apply to other, more harmless representations

Editor Stéphane Charbonnier, now according to reports killed.

A brave man, and one who should always be remembered. Today, even I feel a bit French.

Drakken

Seems like Le Monde, France Inter, and other media networks in France have vouched to provide all support and staff needed to ensure what remains of Charlie Hebdo continues to live on.   :thumbsup:

Viking

Quote from: Drakken on January 07, 2015, 12:47:18 PM
Seems like Le Monde, France Inter, and other media networks in France have vouched to provide all support and staff needed to ensure what remains of Charlie Hebdo continues to live on.   :thumbsup:

Well vilifying them as racists and islamophobes who only have their own racism to blame for the threats against them sort of has to come to an end?... then again, it only took one day for LeMonde to end is pro USA 9/11 sympathy.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Drakken on January 07, 2015, 12:47:18 PM

Hell, they'll probably get US Feds money if they ask for it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grallon

Psycho.

:rolleyes: 

Those people died as much because of the stupidity of all those who insist on denying there's a problem with Islam as from the bullets of the jihadis.  Or will someone have the gall to pretend this was nothing but an act of lunacy perpetrated by mental defectives?  Had the problem been named, had precautions been taken, you might not have had this golden opportunity to wring you hands and insult me.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 07, 2015, 09:15:08 AM
I've had a lunatic hold a knife to my throat and threaten to kill me.

This should have its own thread.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 07, 2015, 12:55:50 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 07, 2015, 09:15:08 AM
I've had a lunatic hold a knife to my throat and threaten to kill me.

This should have its own thread.

Yeah, in the backroom! :mad:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on January 07, 2015, 11:27:04 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 11:12:41 AM
Ok, I want to make a commitment. I will read the whole Quran.

From what I understand you have to read it in Arabic. Translations aren't considered to really be the word or Allah.

I find that perspective rather humorous.  That is like saying one must read the New Testament in the original Greek, you know what Jesus spoke.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Psycho.

Much as I dislike defending Grallon (and I'm not really), but in the face of a tragedy we often grasp at straws.  We look for things we can discuss and control, instead of the unexplicable horror that has just happened.

When Edmonton's 9-person homicide was first announced, I felt guilty that my first or second thought was 'gee, I wonder who is going to get that file'.

But while that reaction is fairly normal, common decency doesn't means not looking quite so gleeful about multiple murders.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on January 07, 2015, 01:01:10 PM
Quote from: Syt on January 07, 2015, 11:27:04 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 11:12:41 AM
Ok, I want to make a commitment. I will read the whole Quran.

From what I understand you have to read it in Arabic. Translations aren't considered to really be the word or Allah.

I find that perspective rather humorous.  That is like saying one must read the New Testament in the original Greek, you know what Jesus spoke.

And there's something to that - it would avoid all of the fights over translations that have happened over the centuries.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

11B4V

Fox news is epic. For some reason MSNBC
and CNN are off the air on direct tv.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: Norgy on January 07, 2015, 12:43:36 PM
QuoteThe accusation that we are pouring oil on the flames in the current situation really gets on my nerves. After the publication of this absurd and grotesque film about Muhammad in the US, other newspapers have responded to the protests with cover stories. We are doing the same thing, but with drawings. And a drawing has never killed anyone.

We publish caricatures every week, but people only describe them as declarations of war when it's about the person of the Prophet or radical Islam. When you start saying that you can't create such drawings, then the same thing will soon apply to other, more harmless representations

Editor Stéphane Charbonnier, now according to reports killed.

A brave man, and one who should always be remembered. Today, even I feel a bit French.

Except in that earlier instance, they definitely were adding oil to the flame - oh and I don't recall anyone (governments) saying that they couldn't publish those cartoons when they did, but rather questioned the judgement to do so.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Quote from: Barrister on January 07, 2015, 01:01:48 PM

Much as I dislike defending Grallon (and I'm not really), but in the face of a tragedy we often grasp at straws.  We look for things we can discuss and control, instead of the unexplicable horror that has just happened.

When Edmonton's 9-person homicide was first announced, I felt guilty that my first or second thought was 'gee, I wonder who is going to get that file'.

But while that reaction is fairly normal, common decency doesn't means not looking quite so gleeful about multiple murders.

Personal thoughts are one thing. You didn't text your colleagues with that question, because you knew that would be stupid.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk